What do I do? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What do I do?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:42 pm

2L transfer at MVP here. Struck out at OCI, but my grades put me around the Top 1/3 at my new school.

I was just offered an unpaid internship for half the summer in my state supreme court. Unfortunately, because of some family financial issues, I'm in a position where it would be very difficult (if not impossible) to work for free this summer. In addition to the supreme court gig, I have a couple applications in at small firms in my area for 1/2 summer paid gigs, but nothing is guaranteed at all.

If I take the supreme court internship, I'm obviously worried that I won't be able to find anything paid for the rest of the summer. If I don't take it, I'm concerned that I might not find anything else for the summer, and then I'd REALLY be screwed.

The kicker is that I only have until the end of this week to accept or decline the supreme court job.

What should I do? Should I take the unpaid gig and hope that one of the pending small firm positions comes through/hustle my ass off to find a small firm that will pay me for half of the summer? Should I reject it and hope that something else comes through? I'm at a total loss.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lbg0125

New

Re: What do I do?

Post by lbg0125 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Are the dates at all flexible for the supreme court opportunity? That could give you some leeway in terms of finding something else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:47 pm

I have a choice between two different six week periods, but I get the sense that they'd be somewhat understanding if I could locate another position.

lbg0125

New

Post by lbg0125 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:50 pm

Does your school provide funding for public interest work? You might be able to get funding for half the summer through that if it is available.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:06 pm

lbg0125 wrote:Does your school provide funding for public interest work? You might be able to get funding for half the summer through that if it is available.
This or find a night job somewhere shitty (McDonalds comes to mind, but anything works) and do both.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”