Unemployed T10 2L, anyone else feel like a pariah? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cupidity

Gold

Re: Unemployed T10 2L, anyone else feel like a pariah?

Post by Cupidity » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Cupidity wrote:only one in ten have a biglaw SA.
Wait, what? Are you defining biglaw narrowly (like V100) or are your friends just unemployed at a higher rate than the school as a whole?
I feel like there is a third possibility that you are missing.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:31 pm

sjedood wrote:
MrAnon wrote:You are the same poster.
That would be funny if it were true. But, how do you know?
Because the OP and the response both had the same number of posts in history and same join date. If you can't see that you shouldn't be in law school.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:39 pm

MrAnon wrote:
sjedood wrote:
Because the OP and the response both had the same number of posts in history and same join date. If you can't see that you shouldn't be in law school.
Your trolling is on a whole new level now

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:40 pm

MrAnon wrote:
sjedood wrote:
Ummm... wut

Do you not know how the anonymous user function works?

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:16 am

romothesavior wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
sjedood wrote:
Ummm... wut

Do you not know how the anonymous user function works?
haha, you'd think mr. anon would know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:19 am

Yeah. When 80% of your class has a biglaw gig lined up, striking out certainly hurts more. I am thankful I got an internship with a fed agency, but still when I'm asked about summer it usually gets pretty awkward. I mean, there only two reasons why someone would have struck out: 1) their grades were shit and/or 2) they're socially awkward and can't fake an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:29 am

Thankfully from the feedback I've gotten, I'm the former and not the latter (I think I'd feel even worse if I was the latter bc I'd have done everything right and still been in this position), and I guess the latter would have made socializing in law school a lot more difficult. I go to a DCNG but some days it feels like 98% of my class has biglaw/midlaw lined up. It blows. I almost wish I'd been in that '11 class, at least I'd have been in the same boat as most of the class. I know ITE is supposedly not over, but it sure feels that way here..it feels like boom times here again to be honest

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thankfully from the feedback I've gotten, I'm the former and not the latter (I think I'd feel even worse if I was the latter bc I'd have done everything right and still been in this position), and I guess the latter would have made socializing in law school a lot more difficult. I go to a DCNG but some days it feels like 98% of my class has biglaw/midlaw lined up. It blows. I almost wish I'd been in that '11 class, at least I'd have been in the same boat as most of the class. I know ITE is supposedly not over, but it sure feels that way here..it feels like boom times here again to be honest

I am at CC, and I don't think I was exaggerating when I stated that 80% of my class has biglaw lined up. My grades were not great but good enough (median), so I've really been beating myself up about my interview preparation. Being fairly socially awkward and rough around the edges, I obviously needed a lot more preparation than the hour i spent with OCS. I also found the whole OCI/callback process to be nauseating, and I think my shitty attitude towards it also wasn't well hidden. In the end, I have only myself to blame. But, it still sucks being surrounded by classmates who can't relate to my situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thankfully from the feedback I've gotten, I'm the former and not the latter (I think I'd feel even worse if I was the latter bc I'd have done everything right and still been in this position), and I guess the latter would have made socializing in law school a lot more difficult. I go to a DCNG but some days it feels like 98% of my class has biglaw/midlaw lined up. It blows. I almost wish I'd been in that '11 class, at least I'd have been in the same boat as most of the class. I know ITE is supposedly not over, but it sure feels that way here..it feels like boom times here again to be honest

I am at CC, and I don't think I was exaggerating when I stated that 80% of my class has biglaw lined up. My grades were not great but good enough (median), so I've really been beating myself up about my interview preparation. Being fairly socially awkward and rough around the edges, I obviously needed a lot more preparation than the hour i spent with OCS. I also found the whole OCI/callback process to be nauseating, and I think my shitty attitude towards it also wasn't well hidden. In the end, I have only myself to blame. But, it still sucks being surrounded by classmates who can't relate to my situation.
Struck out at CCN with median grades!?!? God, ITE sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Struck out at CCN with median grades!?!? God, ITE sucks.
Where in the quote was blame placed on ITE?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 pm

MrAnon wrote:
sjedood wrote:
Hahahaha dude take your own advice. Thats just sad bro

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:33 pm

I hope this doesn't come off as preachy but I feel the need to say it. You are worth a lot more than your job and your grades. I have friends who are in your boat and I can understand how it sucks immensely. Obviously hustle and keep pluggin away to find a job that is both meaningful and fulfilling to you. But don't feel like you are less of a person because you didn't win the biglaw game. It's easy to get wrapped up in all that being in the law school bubble but life is so much more than your GPA and what firm you are working for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:50 pm

I've been in the same boat, but like other people have said, you (I) need to get the head out of the ass and just keep jugging. My best friend at school is going to be at Cravath, and I don't have anything. At a T20, not a T14, but most of my friends all have great gigs lined up and I'm still looking. It sucks, but stuff is picking up again, and it will come and go within the month.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been in the same boat, but like other people have said, you (I) need to get the head out of the ass and just keep jugging. My best friend at school is going to be at Cravath, and I don't have anything. At a T20, not a T14, but most of my friends all have great gigs lined up and I'm still looking. It sucks, but stuff is picking up again, and it will come and go within the month.
Lucky. My best friend from 1L at my T14 stopped talking to me after he got a V5 and I got nothing, as did some other people when they figured out my GPA wasn't as good at they thought it was. Spent 15 months in your shoes, feeling shitty and rejected, but then I got lucky and pulled a V50 offer for a JD/LL.M summer, so it isn't totally hopeless.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:59 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've been in the same boat, but like other people have said, you (I) need to get the head out of the ass and just keep jugging. My best friend at school is going to be at Cravath, and I don't have anything. At a T20, not a T14, but most of my friends all have great gigs lined up and I'm still looking. It sucks, but stuff is picking up again, and it will come and go within the month.
Lucky. My best friend from 1L at my T14 stopped talking to me after he got a V5 and I got nothing, as did some other people when they figured out my GPA wasn't as good at they thought it was. Spent 15 months in your shoes, feeling shitty and rejected, but then I got lucky and pulled a V50 offer for a JD/LL.M summer, so it isn't totally hopeless.
Your friend is a dick.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:51 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
You really think they stopped talking to you because you got nothing? I know some horrible people, but even the worst people I know wouldn't do that.

I will say that unemployed friends can be downers (understandably so), and it is hard to fully understand what they are going through. This may lead to people drifting apart. If you're unemployed and miserable, it is obviously going to have a negative effect on the relationships around you. I've seen this happen.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
You really think they stopped talking to you because you got nothing? I know some horrible people, but even the worst people I know wouldn't do that.

I will say that unemployed friends can be downers (understandably so), and it is hard to fully understand what they are going through. This may lead to people drifting apart. If you're unemployed and miserable, it is obviously going to have a negative effect on the relationships around you. I've seen this happen.
No, as soon as I got a job he was back and chatting again. It's a fairly extreme situation, but he's made it clear he doesn't associate with the unemployed or unworthy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:27 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

No, as soon as I got a job he was back and chatting again. It's a fairly extreme situation, but he's made it clear he doesn't associate with the unemployed or unworthy.
I'd probably guess he stopped talking because it made him feel bad and awkward to talk to you.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Dude seems like a jackass.

Indifferent

Bronze

Post by Indifferent » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Never. Stop. Networking.

Shake every hand you can. Apply to every job out there. There is only one thing that is certain right now: if you give up, nothing will happen.
Didn't read anything else, but this is TCR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:32 am

OP here, I've tried to be as positive as possible around my friends, both first semester and this semester, as I definitely know that the unemployment depression and negativity can definitely affect those around you, however I've definitely had friends, even close ones, start treating me differently one they saw my GPA wasn't that great and that I was/am still struggling to find something and definitely using that to define my worth in their eyes. It's a shitty feeling in an already situation, although I guess it shows you who your true friends are which is a good thing

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:27 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Your friend is a dick.
Understatement.

FWIW it also seems like everyone here has a SA. But I would be shocked if in actuality any more than 50-60% of us did. I was one of the lucky ones that got one [out of nowhere, I didn't even really want one], but I purposely try to avoid talking about it because I figure there are people out there like OP.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:43 pm

I won't talk to anyone going to a lower ranked firm than me, and the people going to higher ranked firms won't talk to me.

So it is a good thing there are a couple other people going to my firm. We're gonna be such besties. (Until one of them gets a better assignment than me.)

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:44 pm

MrAnon wrote:
sjedood wrote:
you sir are a dumbass

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:02 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

Surely he is on TLS. Out him!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”