Texas Big Law: Baker Botts, Locke Lord, or Weil? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Texas Big Law: Baker Botts, Locke Lord, or Weil?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Thanks for the input everyone!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Texas Big Law: Baker Botts, Locke Lord, or Weil?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:39 pm

I would be SA'ing in the corporate practice area (probably litigation).
First. The statement above? It's not logically coherent. It's like saying: "I'm not sure what Houston airport I'm going to fly into, probably Love Field." Litigation is not a corporate practice area.

Second. I'd probably pick BB. I'm not sure what they can do if you don't come back for a 2L summer, except maybe no offer you (but you don't care at that point, because you aren't coming back).

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Go with Baker Botts. They have a great reputation, and if you don't transfer, then you've got a 2L job lined up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I would be SA'ing in the corporate practice area (probably litigation).
First. The statement above? It's not logically coherent. It's like saying: "I'm not sure what Houston airport I'm going to fly into, probably Love Field." Litigation is not a corporate practice area.

Second. I'd probably pick BB. I'm not sure what they can do if you don't come back for a 2L summer, except maybe no offer you (but you don't care at that point, because you aren't coming back).
I apologize for not being clearer. I'd be with the Corporate group (rather than, say, real estate or insurance), but probably working specifically in a practice like complex business litigation or securities litigation. Like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing, and I won't pretend like I do.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I apologize for not being clearer. I'd be with the Corporate group (rather than, say, real estate or insurance), but probably working specifically in a practice like complex business litigation or securities litigation.
Most firms don't divide things up this way. What is called the "corporate practice" is typically the corporate transactional practice; business and securities lit typically fall under the umbrella of the "litigation practice". Maybe they do things differently in Texas, but for most big firms, things aren't divided the way you're dividing them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:59 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I apologize for not being clearer. I'd be with the Corporate group (rather than, say, real estate or insurance), but probably working specifically in a practice like complex business litigation or securities litigation.
Most firms don't divide things up this way. What is called the "corporate practice" is typically the corporate transactional practice; business and securities lit typically fall under the umbrella of the "litigation practice". Maybe they do things differently in Texas, but for most big firms, things aren't divided the way you're dividing them.
Oh, interesting. I didn't realize. Thanks for the information. I'll be sure not to make that mistake in the future.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:01 pm

why don't you give it your all at all 3 and then ask which one once you get offers.

callback ≠ offer

Weil will offer more flexibility, though, if you decide to transfer. Even if you don't, I think they have NY lockstep even in Texas, so that's definitely an upside.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:47 pm

hey there - i haven't heard back yet from Weil (did the callback in NY), and i'm wondering when you interviewed & received the offer.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hey there - i haven't heard back yet from Weil (did the callback in NY), and i'm wondering when you interviewed & received the offer.

Thanks
Interviewed last week, haven't heard back yet, but I expect to hear from them this week (praying for an offer). I'll keep you posted.

One offer so far.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Definitely BB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:38 pm

BB = Tex Big 3. If you end up staying in Texas, having this on your resume will serve you very well.

LL = Solid firm. Slightly smaller than the Big 3. Tends to have a more diverse array of clients, but tends not to work the big cases for the big business institutions in Texas (think: Energy companies).

Weil = NY firm. Smallish but respected presence in Texas. Especially strong in IP. Might help marginally if you end up going to the Northeast, but satellite offices tend to be more like, well, satellites, and not amoeba-like extensions of their home offices, so it might not give you a ton of cred.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BB = Tex Big 3. If you end up staying in Texas, having this on your resume will serve you very well.

LL = Solid firm. Slightly smaller than the Big 3. Tends to have a more diverse array of clients, but tends not to work the big cases for the big business institutions in Texas (think: Energy companies).

Weil = NY firm. Smallish but respected presence in Texas. Especially strong in IP. Might help marginally if you end up going to the Northeast, but satellite offices tend to be more like, well, satellites, and not amoeba-like extensions of their home offices, so it might not give you a ton of cred.
This is a side issue: Trying to transfer to a Chicago law school, UChi or NW. With my grades in the appropriate range, do you think having one over the others on my resume will make a difference for my application?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:BB = Tex Big 3. If you end up staying in Texas, having this on your resume will serve you very well.

This is a side issue: Trying to transfer to a Chicago law school, UChi or NW. With my grades in the appropriate range, do you think having one over the others on my resume will make a difference for my application?
Well, LL has a sizable (100+ atty) presence in Chicago. Weil has no Chi office. Neither does BB.

That aside, I don't think it will make a huge difference either way. But you may want to go with LL & then try to transfer offices for 2L summer if you transfer schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:hey there - i haven't heard back yet from Weil (did the callback in NY), and i'm wondering when you interviewed & received the offer.

Thanks
Interviewed last week, haven't heard back yet, but I expect to hear from them this week (praying for an offer). I'll keep you posted.

One offer so far.
Much thanks & Congrats :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”