Nassau County Attorney Office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
scungileen

New

Nassau County Attorney Office

Post by scungileen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:39 pm

Has anyone out there worked at the Nassau County Attorney's Office. I am trying to get an idea of what it is like before I apply.

Anonymous User

Re: Nassau County Attorney Office

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:54 pm

It's a pretty relaxed atmosphere. Business casual depending on bureau. You don't have a say in the bureau you're assigned so unless there's something in your background to indicate a better fit in a certain bureau, you will be randomly assigned. That could be a very bad thing b/c if you're assigned to district court, you're gonna be in Hempstead the entire summer and personally I like being near the Mineola courthouse better. Nicer area, better cases. District court is basically all the misdemeanors. Basically all the ADAs in district court are in their first year or two b/c it's mandatory to be there for your first few years.

Truth is that you will not be doing much work unless you get lucky with the bureau you're assigned to. Most interns just sit around and do nothing. Going to court to see trials and hearings is basically what you can look forward to in terms of learning experience. I got lucky and got to do lawsuits and sit in with lawyers during proceedings but other interns basically did administrative stuff.

You get an hour and a half lunch break and get to leave around 4:30. You basically have to take advantage of the court proceedings and go to as many as you can throughout the day and take full advantage of lunch break or else you will just be sitting at your desk doing nothing. Court never starts when it's supposed to so you also end up just waiting around a lot.

I realize this might not be the most positive sounding internship but if you're not getting paid, you might as well intern at the DA. The court experience really is invaluable and Nassau is pretty well respected. Most of all, you will know by the end of the summer if you want to be a DA or not as well as if you want to practice criminal law.

scungileen

New

Re: Nassau County Attorney Office

Post by scungileen » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks for the information, but I believe you were talking about the DA's office. I was asking about the County Attorney's office (civil litigation for Nassau County). I have a chance to work at both the DA and the Nassau County Attorney and I was just trying to find out if anyone out there was in the County Attorney's office and what they thought. Thanks, tho, for the info on the DA.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”