Moore & Van Allen (Charlotte) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moore & Van Allen (Charlotte)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 am

What's the intel on this firm? Right now I work for a Vault 50 firm in a major market, billing a pretty humane 2000 hours. Would the lifestyle at Moore & Van Allen be similar? Is it considered a good place to work (people, hours, partnership prospects, etc.)?

wiseowl

Silver

Re: Moore & Van Allen (Charlotte)

Post by wiseowl » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:09 pm

Jay Bilas is of counsel there so just make sure you are "long" enough

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:15 pm

I interviewed with them this past fall during OGI. I can't speak to the quality of life issues too well (although I would assume than MVA is probably decent QoL-wise). I got the idea that they weren't exactly doing a ton of business. Charlotte is a somewhat scary place to be right now. With the Wells Fargo-Wachovia merger, some of the banking work has fallen off, and I had quite a few people that Bank of America was moving a decent amount of their operations to NYC. It seems like a good place, but do some diligence depending on your practice area.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:16 pm

I also interviewed with them and am friends with a mid-level associate there. From my research, MVA is top dog in Charlotte and has a great reputation except for their no-offer disaster a few years back. They do the top notch financial work for the banks in Charlotte, but that's also the issue with them - they are very bank dependent. My friend loves it there, but he also works a good amount, so you likely wont be billing less. They pay market for first year associates (~135), so your living pretty large in such a cheap city as Charlotte.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My friend loves it there, but he also works a good amount, so you likely wont be billing less.
Do you know how much/what the billing requirements are? I'm working at a peer firm and I'm a little curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My friend loves it there, but he also works a good amount, so you likely wont be billing less.
Do you know how much/what the billing requirements are? I'm working at a peer firm and I'm a little curious.
Nope, I dont. I imagine if you look at the other big law firms' stats (McGuire, A&B, K&L) on NALP it is comparable. Heck, if you are at a 'peer firm' (RB?) I would assume the hours would be very similar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”