3L trading up firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L trading up firms

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Hello,

I'm at 2L at MVP who has accepted a job to work in a v15 in NYC for the summer. My GPA after 1L put me right around top 1/4. However, after this semester my grades now put me right on the edge of top 10%. So my question is, does my GPA (assuming I get an offer from the summer) put me in position to be able to trade up to a v5 type firm?

Any thoughts or questions that need clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Detrox

Bronze

Re: 3L trading up firms

Post by Detrox » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:37 pm

Aside from the "super amazing prestige boost" that comes from going from a V15 to a V5...what would be the point of this?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:53 pm

DPW does 3L recruiting at my T14, so it seems plausible. Skadden also seems big enough it might pick up a couple people this way. I don't imagine CSM or WLRK doing this kind of thing and don't know enough about S&C. But at this point, just focus on nailing the offer from your V15 and consider looking at other firms in the V20 that might be a better fit or have more prestige in your intended practice group (think Weil if you want bankruptcy or Cleary if you want banking).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:09 pm

When is the appropriate time for 3Ls to start applying for jobs post-grad?

If the answer to that question is "sometime in the Fall of 3L" then how do you field the question: "Did you get an offer from your 2L SA?" Assuming that you did get an offer, how do you explain your decision to "trade up"? Since going full time at the 2L SA is still a very good option, would interviewing with competing firms (in the same market) get back to your 2L firm and (worse yet) possibly affect your offer/reputation?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When is the appropriate time for 3Ls to start applying for jobs post-grad?

If the answer to that question is "sometime in the Fall of 3L" then how do you field the question: "Did you get an offer from your 2L SA?" Assuming that you did get an offer, how do you explain your decision to "trade up"? Since going full time at the 2L SA is still a very good option, would interviewing with competing firms (in the same market) get back to your 2L firm and (worse yet) possibly affect your offer/reputation?
People do this, its not uncommon. You don't have to say you want the prestige, just tell them you're more interested in what they are focusing on practice-wise and believe you would be a better fit there - totally legit reasoning. It won't affect your reputation unless you accepted the summer offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello,

I'm at 2L at MVP who has accepted a job to work in a v15 in NYC for the summer. My GPA after 1L put me right around top 1/4. However, after this semester my grades now put me right on the edge of top 10%. So my question is, does my GPA (assuming I get an offer from the summer) put me in position to be able to trade up to a v5 type firm?

I know of several folks on the board on LR at Fordham that didn't have top 10% grades after 1L, ended up at NALP 250 or v100 firms after 2L OCI, then traded up big time 3L OCI.

Ex., managing editor went from some firm I'd never heard of to SullCrom.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:57 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:I don't imagine CSM or WLRK doing this kind of thing and don't know enough about S&C.
wat? CSM has probably the most prolific recruitier-of-3Ls lately.

It's especially common amongst firms with huge practices / summer classes and highly credentialed attorneys who can easily jump to other firms or entirely different jobs if they feel like it. Such firms often either lose a chunk of their 2L summers and/or a chunk of their young associates and need quick recruits to patch gaps in hot practice areas (or just generally).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:I don't imagine CSM or WLRK doing this kind of thing and don't know enough about S&C.

It's especially common amongst firms with huge practices / summer classes and highly credentialed attorneys who can easily jump to other firms or entirely different jobs if they feel like it. Such firms often either lose a chunk of their 2L summers and/or a chunk of their young associates and need quick recruits to patch gaps in hot practice areas (or just generally).
Do you know anything about how my (OP) grades would put me in the running for one of these jobs?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:45 pm

What is wrong with people.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:54 pm

And who decided V15 is a thing? That's some of the dumbest shit I've seen emerge on TLS. Are we really drawing the "prestige" line with Paul Weiss on one side of the line and Boies Schiller on the other? Are you all fucking serious with this shit?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:02 pm

IAFG wrote:And who decided V15 is a thing? That's some of the dumbest shit I've seen emerge on TLS. Are we really drawing the "prestige" line with Paul Weiss on one side of the line and Boies Schiller on the other? Are you all fucking serious with this shit?
Thank you. I can only assume it's egregious Latham trolling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:12 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:DPW does 3L recruiting at my T14, so it seems plausible. Skadden also seems big enough it might pick up a couple people this way. I don't imagine CSM or WLRK doing this kind of thing and don't know enough about S&C. But at this point, just focus on nailing the offer from your V15 and consider looking at other firms in the V20 that might be a better fit or have more prestige in your intended practice group (think Weil if you want bankruptcy or Cleary if you want banking).
CSM was calling back very un-prestigious people at this past 3L OCI because their yield after the 2L summer was so bad.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:14 pm

IAFG wrote:And who decided V15 is a thing? That's some of the dumbest shit I've seen emerge on TLS. Are we really drawing the "prestige" line with Paul Weiss on one side of the line and Boies Schiller on the other? Are you all fucking serious with this shit?
Same people who decided "V5" "V10" "V20" "V25"....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Detrox wrote:
There are meaningful distinctions, and there are totally meaningless ones. Meaningful distinctions convey information. Meaningless ones reveal the distinguisher to be a toolbag.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:17 pm

IAFG wrote:
Detrox wrote:
There are meaningful distinctions, and there are totally meaningless ones. Meaningful distinctions convey information. Meaningless ones reveal the distinguisher to be a toolbag.
I'm going to a V84. How Preftisigious?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Detrox wrote:
Not iBanking => not preftigiouf.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:27 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Detrox wrote:
IB? TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Private Equity, Hedge Fund or you are basically a teller.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:18 pm

FUCK YOU PAUL WEISS IS PRESTTTIGIOUS

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:25 pm

I hated where this thread started, but I like where it ended up.

nsbane

Bronze

Post by nsbane » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:
IB? TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Private Equity, Hedge Fund or you are basically a teller.
Credited.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:23 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Yea there was a lot of 3Ling by CSM at columbia. Also have friends who "traded up" to skadden and simpson

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hello,

Are you serious? It's legitimately sad that there are people like this.

You haven't even started your SA with the V15 firm. You don't even know if you love the particular practice area, work well with the people, and it's an overall great fit.

What could possible be the reason, outside of prestige-whoring, that makes you wonder at this stage whether you should "trade up" to a V5?

Unless you somehow "settled" on the V15, and don't really like the bulk of it's practice areas...and then also would prefer a particular firm in the V5 that is known for a certain practice area, you have absolutely no reason to have your current mindset.

Christ people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:04 am

Is there any trade-up potential from a boutique (non-IP)? Struck out at big firms in OCI, scored SA at a sick boutique but the pay is like $80k/yr, I'm worried after the summer I might decide being crazy rich is more important than having a cool job. The boutique is good and has a killer practice, but it's not anywhere whose name you'd recognize without looking it up first.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any trade-up potential from a boutique (non-IP)? Struck out at big firms in OCI, scored SA at a sick boutique but the pay is like $80k/yr, I'm worried after the summer I might decide being crazy rich is more important than having a cool job. The boutique is good and has a killer practice, but it's not anywhere whose name you'd recognize without looking it up first.
Not sure if serious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:26 pm

sunynp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there any trade-up potential from a boutique (non-IP)? Struck out at big firms in OCI, scored SA at a sick boutique but the pay is like $80k/yr, I'm worried after the summer I might decide being crazy rich is more important than having a cool job. The boutique is good and has a killer practice, but it's not anywhere whose name you'd recognize without looking it up first.
Not sure if serious.
Lol, chances at going BigLaw that bad, eh?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”