who to email about summer position? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DreamsInDigital

Bronze

who to email about summer position?

Post by DreamsInDigital » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:52 pm

So I've been researching law firms in the type of practice I want to do and have found a few that do not seem to advertise or have any summer positions. I know it is a long shot, but I wanted to send them an email with my resume and a cover letter, just in case it blows them away and they decide they want to hire me. Should I send the email to a random partner that I pick out from the firm webpage, or should I send it to the general information email address they list for the firm? Also, should I send the resume right off the bat or should I email them first asking whether they are looking into hiring anyone?

ph14

Gold

Re: who to email about summer position?

Post by ph14 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:55 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:So I've been researching law firms in the type of practice I want to do and have found a few that do not seem to advertise or have any summer positions. I know it is a long shot, but I wanted to send them an email with my resume and a cover letter, just in case it blows them away and they decide they want to hire me. Should I send the email to a random partner that I pick out from the firm webpage, or should I send it to the general information email address they list for the firm? Also, should I send the resume right off the bat or should I email them first asking whether they are looking into hiring anyone?
See if they are in the NALP directory, they usually have a person listed to contact for employment inquiries.

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:02 pm

ph14 wrote:
DreamsInDigital wrote:So I've been researching law firms in the type of practice I want to do and have found a few that do not seem to advertise or have any summer positions. I know it is a long shot, but I wanted to send them an email with my resume and a cover letter, just in case it blows them away and they decide they want to hire me. Should I send the email to a random partner that I pick out from the firm webpage, or should I send it to the general information email address they list for the firm? Also, should I send the resume right off the bat or should I email them first asking whether they are looking into hiring anyone?
See if they are in the NALP directory, they usually have a person listed to contact for employment inquiries.
hmm, neither of the two firms I am looking at are listed there. Do you think it is because they are kind of public-interest focused firms? Or because they're smaller (sub-20 attorneys)?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:05 pm

I would call and ask the secretary for helpz if they aren't listed on NALP. Just ask for the contact info for hiring person. recruitment.

edited: just in case you took my poast literally.
Last edited by Guchster on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:13 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:
ph14 wrote:
hmm, neither of the two firms I am looking at are listed there. Do you think it is because they are kind of public-interest focused firms? Or because they're smaller (sub-20 attorneys)?
Probably just because they are smaller. I agree with Guchster, just call or email and ask for the contact information for recruiting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks guy. It's funny, I didn't even think about calling and asking the secretary . . . I've gotten so used to doing everything online that the phone is almost a foreign concept sometimes.

floggered

New

Post by floggered » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:54 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”