FTC for 1L summer. Is that good vs. work at attorney general Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

FTC for 1L summer. Is that good vs. work at attorney general

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Offered a 1L summer with the attorney general in my home state. Attend a lower T14 and will interview with the FTC .I am thinking an offer with the FTC (if I get one) will carry more weight when I do OCI in August for 2L job. Is this correct?

ph14

Gold

Re: FTC for 1L summer. Is that good vs. work at attorney general

Post by ph14 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offered a 1L summer with the attorney general in my home state. Attend a lower T14 and will interview with the FTC .I am thinking an offer with the FTC (if I get one) will carry more weight when I do OCI in August for 2L job. Is this correct?
It doesn't matter at all.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:05 am

Which bureau is the interview with? If it's competition, it will pigeonhole you pretty firmly into antitrust law. Consumer protection, less so. Commissioner's office/OGC even less.

2LLLL

Bronze

Post by 2LLLL » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:11 am

The FTC will be a stronger 1L summer job than a state attorney general, especially if you want to do antitrust. That being said, neither position will lose you a job at OCI vis a vis the other, and (with the exception of an antitrust practice) neither will gain you a position at OCI vis a vis the other.

If the state attorney general job isn't in NYC/DC/Chicago, and it's a market you want to end up in and don't otherwise have strong ties to, then I'd take that, if not FTC is probably the better choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”