Where Should I Take the Bar? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Where Should I Take the Bar?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:04 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 3L at UVA and don't have a job lined up for post-grad. I'm trying to decide whether to take the bar in Massachusetts or in Virginia. I'm originally from Massachusetts, and most of my extended family lives there. However, my girlfriend lives in Virginia (non-law student). We've only been dating four or five months, and we're not quite at the stage where she can say whether she would want to move to Massachusetts. Massachusetts is pretty much where I would take the exam otherwise. It's a bit awkward because I have to make a major life choice like this at a time when she isn't really ready to do the same. I imagine the answer is that this is a very personal decision, but if anyone else has been in a similar situation and has any wisdom to impart that would be great. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Where Should I Take the Bar?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:29 am

You come first. Do what you think is right, then work out what must be worked out with you girlfriend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:40 am

Check into reciprocity between VA and MA. Maybe they allow you to wave in after a short length of time in practice and it's really a non-issue. Otherwise, my advice is to have an honest chat with your lady friend.

IMO, there is no point in being half-assed in your relationship. It just doesn't create a good foundation for anything down the road. In other words, if you want the relationship, give this decision the same sort of consideration that you would give it if you were married. If that doesn't seem right to you, maybe it's time to move on...? $.02.

cantabaout

New

Post by cantabaout » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:43 am

take MA and waive into DC?!

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:47 am

I would say MA from the various things I've heard about the bar. Virginia apparently is tougher on C+F (I don't know quite what that means though) and Virginia makes you take the bar exam in a suit. Also, you can pair the MA bar exam with NY or PA and reciprocity into DC easily. Unless you're planning to live in Richmond or some other part of Virginia that excludes commuting to DC, I would say do MA. Even if you end up marrying her and living in VA, it would be fairly difficult to find a decent (biglaw/govt/midlaw) job outside the DC area assuming your lack of employment now is in some way related to average grades at UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Take both.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:33 pm

cantabaout wrote:take MA and waive into DC?!

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:42 pm

You've only been dating a few months. Don't make a decision like this on someone that you have only know for a short period of time.

It sounds harsh, but your girl would see you as a total pussy if you were set to take the MA bar before meeting her and now all of a sudden you take the VA bar.

Take the MA bar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Great, thanks for the advice (OP here). I've thought about MA and waiving into DC a lot and think that might be what I will do. Regardless, I'll have a chat with my girlfriend and see what we can do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:40 pm

VA is a MUCH harder bar than MA.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:44 am

nealric wrote:VA is a MUCH harder bar than MA.
yea I didn't know a polite way to say this. One state is called "Passachusetts," the other makes you wear a suit and write essays on the most arcane law possible.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:40 am

wiseowl wrote:
yea I didn't know a polite way to say this. One state is called "Passachusetts," the other makes you wear a suit and write essays on the most arcane law possible.
Holy hell. I had to look that up because I didn't believe you. That's ridiculous.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:42 am

patrickd139 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
Holy hell. I had to look that up because I didn't believe you. That's ridiculous.
And rubber-soled shoes so you don't make distracting noise typing and so you look like an idiot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:23 pm

Take MA. Buy the books for VA and display them prominently and tell her you have the intention to take VA after you take MA. it will keep her happy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:55 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
And rubber-soled shoes so you don't make distracting noise typing and so you look like an idiot.
That's a bloody travesty.

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:12 am

Also, no CLE requirements in MA; but VA requires 12 hours per year.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:13 pm

gulcregret wrote:Also, no CLE requirements in MA; but VA requires 12 hours per year.
Unless I was actually going to practice law in VA (as opposed to work in DC and waive in from VA), I would take MD over VA (obviously there are better bars than MD, but comparatively). MD has no CLE and while their ethics requirement is slightly different, the bar exam is a bit easier.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”