How Terrible would being bottom 1/3rd for OCI be Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How Terrible would being bottom 1/3rd for OCI be

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:02 pm

I am currently at UVA, and because of one grade...yes one grade I am bottom one third 3.15...other then raising my gpa next semester is there anything I can do about OGI? or is the best bet to drop out?

I think I know what the problem with my exam answers were, but I just don't know what the best strategy is to utilize when approaching applying for jobs for 1L summer now and next fall?

Mce252

Silver

Re: How Terrible would being bottom 1/3rd for OCI be

Post by Mce252 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:08 pm

3.15? What the hell is your curve?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Mce252 wrote:3.15? What the hell is your curve?
3.3 is median

I was median for all three classes and then in one class received a B-. It killed me.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:16 pm

I can't help you on job prospects but I would say that blaming your position on one grade is not a good idea. When you said one grade blew your GPA, I was thinking a bunch of A's and a really bad grade -- like a C- or D.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:24 pm

Mce252 wrote:I can't help you on job prospects but I would say that blaming your position on one grade is not a good idea. When you said one grade blew your GPA, I was thinking a bunch of A's and a really bad grade -- like a C- or D.
true---my other grades were not great, but i would have been fine with median. This one brought me down.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:26 pm

You can get a job out of OCI, but your GPA is not doing you any favors. Any work experience? Personal connections? Ties to small and insular markets?

Or, committ to bringing your grades up bro.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Where do you want to work? I don't think dropping out is the correct answer with a semester to bring up your grades.

Is NY/DC attainable with bottom 1/3rd grades. I know people who did it but I know significantly more who didn't. Generally going to require some sort of solid interview skills (objectively solid not the law school rating where everyone thinks they are an 8 interviewer because they can carry a conversation) or significant work experience (banking, consulting, etc.)

Are secondary markets attainable with bottom 1/3rd? Absolutely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:54 pm

Grizz wrote:You can get a job out of OCI, but your GPA is not doing you any favors. Any work experience? Personal connections? Ties to small and insular markets?

Or, committ to bringing your grades up bro.
I am committed to bringing them up. I am just looking at the worst possible scenerio. I have ties to a secondary market and personal connections at a couple of firms but thats it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:Where do you want to work? I don't think dropping out is the correct answer with a semester to bring up your grades.

Is NY/DC attainable with bottom 1/3rd grades. I know people who did it but I know significantly more who didn't. Generally going to require some sort of solid interview skills (objectively solid not the law school rating where everyone thinks they are an 8 interviewer because they can carry a conversation) or significant work experience (banking, consulting, etc.)

Are secondary markets attainable with bottom 1/3rd? Absolutely.
would the west coast be attainable with bottom 1/3rd?

I have solid interview skills. not law school solid, actually solid.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:19 pm

West Coast as in SF? LA? Arizona? New Mexico?

Don't have to out yourself, but I'll say that without significantly bringing your grades up SF is a long shot, LA too. I'm assuming you have strong ties to the west coast also. SF/LA are primary markets with surprisingly few summer associate spots compared to NY/DC so they are tougher.

Other smaller markets like Phoenix would be possible, but you need good reasons and ties about why this market. If you're gunning for one of these markets strongly consider spending your 1L summer in that market.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”