Pretty unique/odd transfer resume question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bceagles182

Silver

Pretty unique/odd transfer resume question

Post by bceagles182 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:28 pm

I transferred last year. I just got first semester grades back at my new school. They're good, but my first semester GPA at my new school is identical to my cumulative GPA at my old school. See below. Are employers just going to think that I'm listing my old GPA under my new school? Any thoughts on how I can avoid this? I don't have a rank at my new school.

New School of Law
Candidate for Juris Doctor, May 2013
GPA: 3.66
Honors: Journal Member

Old School of Law
First-year curriculum completed, 2010 – 2011
GPA: 3.66
Honors: Invited to Old School Law Review

rjl

New

Re: Pretty unique/odd transfer resume question

Post by rjl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:48 pm

I read your grade stuff before I read the second half of your introductory paragraph and it made sense to me.

You might put "Cum GPA" instead of just "GPA" under your "Old School of Law," though. That would be my only suggestion.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, that should be fairly obvious. So ignore if you want.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:53 pm

rjl wrote:I read your grade stuff before I read the second half of your introductory paragraph and it made sense to me.

You might put "Cum GPA" instead of just "GPA" under your "Old School of Law," though. That would be my only suggestion.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, that should be fairly obvious. So ignore if you want.
Perhaps I'm immature but I can't imagine putting "Cum GPA" on a resume.

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:16 pm

1) I don't think GPA is commensurable across schools, so I wouldn't try to put a cumulative GPA on your resume.
2) Is journal membership an "honor?" Seems like this would be more honestly and accurately characterized as an "activity".

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:23 pm

smittytron3k wrote:1) I don't think GPA is commensurable across schools, so I wouldn't try to put a cumulative GPA on your resume.
2) Is journal membership an "honor?" Seems like this would be more honestly and accurately characterized as an "activity".
From what I've seen, it's generally listed as an honor. Our CSO instructs us to do it that way (I, like you, was a little surprised at this too), and I know other schools do too. Legal employers know what it is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:25 pm

Uh, it's not a cumulative GPA across schools. I had a 3.66 1L and I got a 3.66 this fall (my only semester at my new school). Therefore I have a 3.66 at each school independently. I spelled that out pretty clearly in the OP. The whole point was that I was worried about people thinking that I was combined the GPAs. I didn't.

And yes, both CDOs I've worked with and virtually every resume I've found online lists journal as an honor.
Last edited by bceagles182 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:32 pm

I'm a transfer (though now a 3L) and my CSO told us that unless we were 3.9x at our old school (out of 4), that we shouldn't put our GPA from the old school on the resume. Class rank is fine for the old school though

Edit: And the way I've seen journals is that law review goes under honor but secondary journals go under activity

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:35 pm

Hm, I guess that makes sense, but it's kind of annoying to give up my class rank entirely. It's higher than the typical student who transferred in.

Could I drop the old school GPA and leave the rank or is that too inconsistent?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:37 pm

bceagles182 wrote:Uh, it's not a cumulative GPA across schools. I had a 3.66 1L and I got a 3.66 this fall (my only semester at my new school). Therefore I have a 3.66 at each school independently. I spelled that out pretty clearly in the OP. The whole point was that I was worried about people thinking that I was combined the GPAs. I'm not.

And yes, both CDOs I've worked with and virtually every resume I've found online lists journal as an honor.

I personally don't put my GPA on my resume - our CSO prohibits us from putting it on (we don't have "official GPAs") and interviewers always get my transcript so I don't really think it's necessary. If you really feel you need to list it, I think it's clear enough that they are separate since you've put the years of your attendance at each school and the relevant GPA for those years. If a potential employer is confused, they will ask. It should be clear enough from your transcript(s), though, I'd imagine - your new school's classes will add up to 3.66 by themselves.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:36 am

3l transfer from above....I'd say keep rank from old but axe the gpa. I think the idea is that gpa from school to school means diff things but top x% means the same thing everywhere and unless it's a crazy gpa like 3.9x it's not really worth noting. Same thing for undergrad gpas...

mel2010

Bronze

Post by mel2010 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:42 am

I agree with above poster. Obviously if you transferred (up?) you had a "good" GPA at your first school. Put rank or something there, and GPA at new school. $0.02

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”