Big Law Drinking and Suits Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mce252

Silver

Big Law Drinking and Suits

Post by Mce252 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Two questions about Big Law:

1.) For Big Law summers: Will it be a big deal that I don't drink? I don't enjoy it and it has never treated me well. I'm very social and enjoy cocktail settings, but I'm curious if it would be something that would negatively stand out.

2.) About how many suits does one need to be able to wear one five or six times a week and not be seen as the guy who is wearing the same thing every day? This applies more to a judicial gig where I know I'll have to wear a suit every day.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Re: Big Law Drinking and Suits

Post by imchuckbass58 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Mce252 wrote:Two questions about Big Law:

1.) For Big Law summers: Will it be a big deal that I don't drink? I don't enjoy it and it has never treated me well. I'm very social and enjoy cocktail settings, but I'm curious if it would be something that would negatively stand out.

2.) About how many suits does one need to be able to wear one five or six times a week and not be seen as the guy who is wearing the same thing every day? This applies more to a judicial gig where I know I'll have to wear a suit every day.
(1) Depends on the firm. I (temporarily) couldn't drink over my SA summer for medical reasons, and it was not uncomfortable at all. Most people didn't even notice (a sprite looks a lot like a G&T). It was easy to politely decline when someone offered a drink, and nobody seemed to think twice about it. I'd add though that my firm tends to portray itself as a family-friendly place and wasn't known for being particularly "fratty," so your mileage may vary depending on your firm's culture. But you'll probably be alright as long as you are comfortable hanging around and enjoying yourself with people who are drinking, even if you are not.

(2) I would say 3-4 is ideal. You might be able to get away with two if it's just a summer. The trick is to mix up shirts and ties so it looks like you're wearing something different even if you have the same suit on.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:35 pm

The only thing I think could be of potential harm is that usually when someone says to me "oh, I don't drink" I automatically think they used to drink and either got a DUI or were raging alcoholics and had to quit. So it might set a negative tone. You also shouldn't try to act like you're preaching from a pedestal about your non-drinking ways.

I would probably think of something you could potentially say every time it comes up such as "I have a very weak stomach for alcohol and get very sick when I do drink thus I don't like to drink".

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: 1 - plenty of people don't drink. It WILL isolate you somewhat, the drinking culture does exist in big law, but it will not be fatal. Plenty of partners even at hard-partying firms abstain.

Re: 2 - it's probably safe to say 2 or 3 suits is a bare minimum, and there's really no reason to have more for a summer gig.

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:45 pm

JoeMo wrote:The only thing I think could be of potential harm is that usually when someone says to me "oh, I don't drink" I automatically think they used to drink and either got a DUI or were raging alcoholics and had to quit. So it might set a negative tone. You also shouldn't try to act like you're preaching from a pedestal about your non-drinking ways.

I would probably think of something you could potentially say every time it comes up such as "I have a very weak stomach for alcohol and get very sick when I do drink thus I don't like to drink".

I personally would steer clear of discussing anything like that. Anything along the lines of "weak stomach" or getting sick just seems like TMI in a law firm cocktail context. Just decline alcohol but have a beverage in hand, and if anyone ever presses you, just say something about an early morning.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:49 pm

When someone says they don't drink, I think they either used to be an alcoholic, or that they are a sanctimonious douche

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:51 pm

ben4847 wrote:When someone says they don't drink, I think they either used to be an alcoholic, or that they are a sanctimonious douche
Well, that's cause you're probably right. I did have a drinking problem and have been sober for 6 or so years now. There isn't much I can do about it now!

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 pm

ben4847 wrote:When someone says they don't drink, I think they either used to be an alcoholic, or that they are a sanctimonious douche
Used to be an alcoholic= quitter

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:59 pm

What an idiotic assumption. I barely drink because I do get sick after 1 drink, and I hate people questioning it, demanding that I drink to prove it, or acting like I'm trying to be holier-than-thou. It really makes you the douche.

Peace out!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Well, that's cause you're probably right. I did have a drinking problem and have been sober for 6 or so years now. There isn't much I can do about it now!
Well, that's cool that you got over it.
I always used to say I would never become an alcoholic because then I'd have to quit and give up drinking, and I could never give up drinking.

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What an idiotic assumption. I barely drink because I do get sick after 1 drink, and I hate people questioning it, demanding that I drink to prove it, or acting like I'm trying to be holier-than-thou. It really makes you the douche.

Peace out!
Easy fix, just do shit loads of cocaine. It will prove you are not a sanctimonious ass-clown, and just were born with a bitch stomach.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:12 pm

viking138 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:The only thing I think could be of potential harm is that usually when someone says to me "oh, I don't drink" I automatically think they used to drink and either got a DUI or were raging alcoholics and had to quit. So it might set a negative tone. You also shouldn't try to act like you're preaching from a pedestal about your non-drinking ways.

I personally would steer clear of discussing anything like that. Anything along the lines of "weak stomach" or getting sick just seems like TMI in a law firm cocktail context. Just decline alcohol but have a beverage in hand, and if anyone ever presses you, just say something about an early morning.
This is true. I was just suggesting OP come up with some sort of reason they don't drink so as to not sound like a recovered alcoholic.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Why would you even bother to say you don't drink? Just say "no thanks" or "not right now, but thanks" and be done with it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:42 pm

1) No. I am a huge lightweight, so I really can't drink that much (max a glass of wine) in business social settings. I didn't find it to be a big deal over my summer, even when I declined a drink. I'd simply say "no thanks" or "I'll just have a Coke." However, you should be aware that it will get commented on -- and you'll get some pressure to drink -- but I don't think it's a negative as long as you aren't sanctimonious about it. (Not implying you would be.) Just be prepared to deal with the comments in good humor.

2) You could probably get away with two or three. Honestly, I barely pay attention to what my co-workers are wearing, so I doubt your co-workers will be like, "Oh, that schmuck is wearing THAT again."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:44 pm

I can't drink either, so the replies in this thread are helpful.

I have a somewhat related question. I have some medical issues so there are a bunch of foods that I can't eat either. I know luncheons and catering are a big part of my summer firm. Is telling recruiting (or whomever coordinates that shit) that I have a bunch of dietary restrictions kosher? Or how do I approach this? I don't want to come off as weak or picky. Ordinarily, I would suck it up; but if I eat something I'm not supposed to, I'll have problems for 2-3 days.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can't drink either, so the replies in this thread are helpful.

Is telling recruiting that I have a bunch of dietary restrictions kosher?
I plan on telling them I have a bunch of dietary restrictions--kosher.

Eliyahu7

New

Post by Eliyahu7 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:48 pm

The better question is how you expect to survive biglaw hell without some type of intoxicant.

On the upshot, you will have numerous opportunities to make friends as the resident Designated Driver.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:50 pm

Just get a coke with a slice of lime. Problem solved.

truevines

Bronze

Post by truevines » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:57 pm

I never drink. I always ordered diet coke, even during the formal dinner with the hiring partner the night before my mid-summer review, or at the baseball game with the group chair.

No one asked why I did not drink. Still got an offer. This is one of the last problems you should worry about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:13 am

wait you have to wear suit everyday to work as an SA? i thought it was casual in the summer

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:20 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:Just get a coke with vodka and a slice of lime. Problem solved.
ftfy

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:21 am

OP here: thanks for the helpful responses. No, I probably won't have to wear a suit everyday as a SA, but as I mentioned in the post, the suits question applies more to the judicial internship, where I know I will have to wear a suit every day.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:23 pm

To your first point, I agree with the poster who said that a sprite looks like a gin & tonic. As long as you always have something in your hand (remember to hold your beverages in your left hand so that your right is free and dry for handshakes), most probably won't notice or care or ask.
You may get "what are you drinking?" as an offer to buy your next drink. Depending on how much you have left, you could just say "I'm good for now" or admit it's sprite and just shrug it off that you're "taking it easy tonight."
I doubt you'll encounter anyone rude enough to press any further at recruiting events (at least from the attorneys...your fellow SAs will be less predictable), but if they're not satisfied with your initial responses, be honest and say that alcohol doesn't agree with you (maybe with a hand over your abdomen so they assume it's a stomach issue and not a crazy ranging drunk issue), and that should be the end of it. I wouldn't bring that up otherwise, but if pressed, honesty (without TMI) is the best.
If you're at a bigger firm, you might also find there are a number of attorneys who are Mormon and don't drink at all for that reason. They might be good people to network with because they won't pressure you or question you on abstaining from drinking. I realize this may sound silly, but I used to work at a V10 and met a number of Mormon attorneys there.

As for suits, you'll probably be fine with 2 or 3 if you're a guy. There are only so many acceptable variations, so no one will judge if you're wearing a grey suit 3 days a week in a business formal environment. Just have a number of ties to add some variety. :) (I'm not sure what a normal/reasonable amount would be...my ex has over a dozen, I think...and he wears scrubs most days)

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:08 pm

I don't drink. Did fine over the summer and had fun at social events. Just don't make a big deal out of it; it is not a big deal to most people.

For a guy, 2 suits should be fine. It may be that you only wear shirt and tie most of the time anyway.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”