CCN, Around Top Third: Any shot at clerking? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CCN, Around Top Third: Any shot at clerking?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:57 pm

After one semester of grades at CCN, I'm around top 30-40% (unranked). I really want to clerk after 3L, and was hugely disappointed with my grades.

Do I have any shot? Maybe D.C. in a flyover state with strong local ties?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ben4847

Silver

Re: CCN Median, Around Top Third: Any shot at clerking?

Post by ben4847 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After one semester of grades at CCN, I'm around top 30-40% (unranked). I really want to clerk after 3L, and was hugely disappointed with my grades.

Do I have any shot? Maybe D.C. in a flyover state with strong local ties?
I dunno completely, but I think I lot will depend on what journal you can get onto.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Re: CCN, Around Top Third: Any shot at clerking?

Post by imchuckbass58 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:27 pm

A few points:

-Your chances depend (marginally) on which CCN you are at.

-At the level you are sitting at now, it will be tough, but certainly not out of the question to clerk. The fact that you have strong ties to a flyover state helps enormously. Your chances will also go up considerably if you're willing to work a year or two before clerking (i.e., apply as an alum). LR would also help a lot.

-Don't be overly discouraged (or encouraged) by your performance first semester. I went from roughly median to roughly top quarter due to a good second semester 1L year. I know many similar stories. While obviously this doesn't happen to everyone, and there are as many if not more people who stay put or go down, the point is your record isn't set yet. This is especially true for clerking, where judges will take 2L grades into account as well.
Last edited by imchuckbass58 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:17 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote: obviously this doesn't happen to anyone
ftfy

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:24 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote: While obviously this doesn't happen to aneveryone
ftfy
I'm a better fixer than you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”