Immigration Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sngilbert

New

Immigration Law

Post by sngilbert » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:13 pm

Hey, where can I find good/reliable information on U.S. immigration law? immigration law firms? immigration law market trends? demand for immigration law services? etc. What websites provide this information? Also, any such information as it relates to demand in Latin America. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Immigration Law

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:47 pm

sngilbert wrote:Hey, where can I find good/reliable information on U.S. immigration law? immigration law firms? immigration law market trends? demand for immigration law services? etc. What websites provide this information? Also, any such information as it relates to demand in Latin America. Thanks.

I work in a JLN 250 immigration firm right now. Im actually sitting at my desk as i write this. I am not a lawyer but i am a paralegal and i do know all the lawyers here, the schools they attended, and most importantly, i had a conversation with the head of HR and a shareholder about what it takes to be hired by the firm coming out of law school. If you're still interested i can provide the insight that i have.

duckfan00

New

Post by duckfan00 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Check out Fragomen Del Rey in New York/New Jersey and in many countries...San Jose in Costa Rica office...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sngilbert wrote:Hey, where can I find good/reliable information on U.S. immigration law? immigration law firms? immigration law market trends? demand for immigration law services? etc. What websites provide this information? Also, any such information as it relates to demand in Latin America. Thanks.

I work in a JLN 250 immigration firm right now. Im actually sitting at my desk as i write this. I am not a lawyer but i am a paralegal and i do know all the lawyers here, the schools they attended, and most importantly, i had a conversation with the head of HR and a shareholder about what it takes to be hired by the firm coming out of law school. If you're still interested i can provide the insight that i have.
Hi, thanks for the post. I would appreciate the insight immensely...

sea15

Bronze

Post by sea15 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:28 pm

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/care ... ration.pdf

I am interested in public interest law, probably immigration, as well. This pdf was very helpful for me!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rli66

Bronze

Post by rli66 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Hi, I have a strong interest in immigration law as a 1L.

I would appreciate more information.

Thanks

valentino9988

New

Post by valentino9988 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I would very much appreciate hearing this information as well. Please pass your insight my way too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Basically only a few major firms that do it; everything else is solo or small boutiques. If you want to make any money, you work for businesses, not individuals. If you want to feel good about yourself, asylum or refugee work is available at some legal services organizations. USCIS or DOJ - EOIR hire maybe two or three dozen people, but most of those positions are 2 year clerkships, not full time. Generally, positions that will hire you directly from law school are pretty infrequent, because there are no pipelines to junior positions like most of biglaw.

Knowing a foreign language is sometimes helpful, sometimes necessary. If you want to be involved in Latin America, be fluent in Spanish. If you want to do legal services, 90% of positions are only available to those fluent in the language of the target population. Lots of employment-based work is exclusively in English though.

marksen

New

Post by marksen » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:26 am

deleted

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:a JLN 250 immigration firm
*Squints eyes quizzically.*

Want to continue reading?