grade % cut off at t30 for drop out Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

grade % cut off at t30 for drop out

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:02 pm

I enjoyed law school, but I also have a lot of other interests, and after a good deal of reflection and discussion, I've determined I have the balls to drop out if necessary.

what type of grades do you think, below which, I should drop out?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Re: grade % cut off at t30 for drop out

Post by LawIdiot86 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I enjoyed law school, but I also have a lot of other interests, and after a good deal of reflection and discussion, I've determined I have the balls to drop out if necessary.

Assuming you want biglaw, find your school at http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1, double the percentage in biglaw, subtract from 1 and if you are below that percentile in your class, drop out after 1L.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I enjoyed law school, but I also have a lot of other interests, and after a good deal of reflection and discussion, I've determined I have the balls to drop out if necessary.

Give a more specific range

Does this mean a 27-30?
(still 8 schools)

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:11 pm

How much debt

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:12 pm

Grizz wrote:How much debt
$15k.

Haven't sent in money yet for 2nd semester.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:12 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

Assuming you want biglaw, find your school at http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1, double the percentage in biglaw, subtract from 1 and if you are below that percentile in your class, drop out after 1L.
This probably needs some more qualifications. This formula is saying that if you're in the bottom third of Yale you should drop out.
I excluded the T14 when making up this rule because he would have said T14 if he was in one. Obviously Yale is an outlier with its public service focus, just as the bottom 5% of Chicago is still in trouble.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
$15k.

which t30?

personally, and i accept that it's a bit much, but i would say that top 1/3 is probably a good starting point. median at a t30 is in serious trouble.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:49 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
$15k.

which t30?

personally, and i accept that it's a bit much, but i would say that top 1/3 is probably a good starting point. median at a t30 is in serious trouble.
Is this with reference to employment generally or simply wrt to BigLaw?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
$15k.

which t30?

public interest and fedgov is even tougher than biglaw. local gov/state gov jobs are very competitive too. below median from t30 and you are probably ending up working for 10-15 bucks an hour doing contract doc review or waiting tables unless your dad owns a law firm.

LeBronBBall

New

Post by LeBronBBall » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:07 am

For Biglaw placement, how about being below median at a lower T-14 school? or median at lower T-14? is bottom third of class at T-14 screwed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:26 am

How about when to drop out if your school is in the Vandy, UT, UCLA ballpark?

azntwice

Bronze

Post by azntwice » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:14 am

i don't understand why you have to double the percentage...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:05 am

Last edited by Younger Abstention on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:47 am

Very interested on the case for lower T14, i.e. schools 8-14 range, being median, bottom third, bottom quarter, and at what point one should drop out

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:13 am

azntwice wrote:i don't understand why you have to double the percentage...
Because some people who have the grades for biglaw either don't want it because they want something else like PI/gov more or want it and don't get it because they interview so terribly or only target certain markets. Doubling the percentage who actually get biglaw should account for all of the people at a law school in the T1/T2 who could have a shot at biglaw if they wanted it. Remember, BC and Minn are both T30s and they send 34% and 12% to biglaw, so all T30s are not created equal.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Very interested on the case for lower T14, i.e. schools 8-14 range, being median, bottom third, bottom quarter, and at what point one should drop out
I would say dropping out at MVP if your GPA is below 3.00 and at DCNG if you're in the bottom quarter would be good starting points. Being median at DCNG makes biglaw attainable based on personality with exceptions possible (see Cornell this year and Northwestern in prior years). MVP tend to slightly outperform DCNG, but I'm not sure I would be comfortable saying bottom third at MVP is the same as median at DCNG. I'm sure bottom quarter at both have gotten biglaw in the past, but have done it because of things like IP/URM/weird geographies/legacies.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:20 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Very interested on the case for lower T14, i.e. schools 8-14 range, being median, bottom third, bottom quarter, and at what point one should drop out
I would say dropping out at MVP if your GPA is below 3.00 and at DCNG if you're in the bottom quarter would be good starting points. Being median at DCNG makes biglaw attainable based on personality with exceptions possible (see Cornell this year and Northwestern in prior years). MVP tend to slightly outperform DCNG, but I'm not sure I would be comfortable saying bottom third at MVP is the same as median at DCNG. I'm sure bottom quarter at both have gotten biglaw in the past, but have done it because of things like IP/URM/weird geographies/legacies.
How much does it change for IP would you guess?

Errzii

Bronze

Post by Errzii » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 am

It probably varies depending on which t30. If your school places well for its rank and has other advantages, e.g., a considerable home market, you can probably afford to be lower in the class before needing to worry about employment prospects. There seems to be a wide range in the t30 in terms of placement. Some t30 perform much better than their rankings suggest (Fordham, BU, BC, etc.) while others do as expected or worse (don't wanna troll any school in particular but there are some obvious ones when you look at their ranking vs. placement). It's not perfect but probably go with the poster who suggested using NLJ as a rough guideline.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:How about when to drop out if your school is in the Vandy, UT, UCLA ballpark?
Bottom 10%? Depends on goals, too. This is a pretty useless inquiry without that information.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:59 am

chem wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
How much does it change for IP would you guess?
I mean, if you are from Philly, have a PhD from UPenn in an in-demand field and go to UPenn, you should be fine at Woodcock Washburn in Philly even at the bottom 25%. If you are from Cali, have a non-in-demand masters from a random midwest school and go to Duke/Northwestern and you want to work at Banner in DC, then you're screwed at the bottom 25%.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
$15k.

which t30?

employment. no im not counting $15/hr contract pay or mcdonalds, im talking a serious career position.

the t30 matters; gwu/bu/nd/bc are different from iub/emory.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”