T14, below-median in 1L, 4.0 in 2L, want to change firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAFG

Platinum

Re: T14, below-median in 1L, 4.0 in 2L, want to change firm

Post by IAFG » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:03 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I never said that I have a great desire for prestige. I am just not happy with doing corp. work in a secondary market at a firm that is not famous for corp. work.
"I have no great desire for prestige, I just want to leave a perfectly decent firm to go work for a firm that is in a bigger market, has a higher Vault ranking, and is famous for certain kind of work."

It's okay to admit you're prestige-driven, bro. It will make you no different from most law students - who silently judge others based on the Vault ranking of their law firms - and about 99% of TLS.

But you'd do well to put the idea of changing firms in the back of your mind in the meantime. It's unlikely you'll be able to. And it's not the right attitude to have heading into the summer.
I guess I do think there's something a little wrong with being so prestige-driven that you can say, before spending a single day at the firm that hired you, that you'd rather be at one of 10 specific large law firms. Seems like a retarded way to manage your career.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:30 pm

IAFG wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I never said that I have a great desire for prestige. I am just not happy with doing corp. work in a secondary market at a firm that is not famous for corp. work.
"I have no great desire for prestige, I just want to leave a perfectly decent firm to go work for a firm that is in a bigger market, has a higher Vault ranking, and is famous for certain kind of work."

It's okay to admit you're prestige-driven, bro. It will make you no different from most law students - who silently judge others based on the Vault ranking of their law firms - and about 99% of TLS.

But you'd do well to put the idea of changing firms in the back of your mind in the meantime. It's unlikely you'll be able to. And it's not the right attitude to have heading into the summer.
I guess I do think there's something a little wrong with being so prestige-driven that you can say, before spending a single day at the firm that hired you, that you'd rather be at one of 10 specific large law firms. Seems like a retarded way to manage your career.
Eh, corporate work in secondary markets is just different. I think it's rational to want to start in a primary market for the better potential career trajectory. It's also perfectly rational to choose to start in a different market if you want to live / work there... but obviously OP doesn't. I probably could have gotten a job in one or two secondary markets I had ties to, but instead I looked in larger legal markets. I know people who looked in both but chose smaller markets, and I know people who had to settle for one or the other despite a preference for the opposite. I really don't think prestige whoring is a necessary element of this kind of decision.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:13 pm

thesealocust wrote:
IAFG wrote: I guess I do think there's something a little wrong with being so prestige-driven that you can say, before spending a single day at the firm that hired you, that you'd rather be at one of 10 specific large law firms. Seems like a retarded way to manage your career.
Eh, corporate work in secondary markets is just different. I think it's rational to want to start in a primary market for the better potential career trajectory. It's also perfectly rational to choose to start in a different market if you want to live / work there... but obviously OP doesn't. I probably could have gotten a job in one or two secondary markets I had ties to, but instead I looked in larger legal markets. I know people who looked in both but chose smaller markets, and I know people who had to settle for one or the other despite a preference for the opposite. I really don't think prestige whoring is a necessary element of this kind of decision.
You're mis-framing what OP has said to make him sound more rational:
My goal is just to get into a V10-20ish firm with a reputation for lifestyle (relatively speaking) and corp. work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:44 pm

thesealocust wrote:
IAFG wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

OP here. This is correct. NY/Chi/LA/TX have all the actions. That's what I want. I mentioned firms "famous" for corp. work because I also want to be part of larger deals. If my V100 firm is handling top national/international M&A deals in my secondary city, I wouldn't want to move elsewhere.

I am however not crazy enough to have the desire to bill 3000 hours just to get the experience. That's why I am looking at firms below the top tier.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am however not crazy enough to have the desire to bill 3000 hours just to get the experience. That's why I am looking at firms below the top tier.
You're definitely mistaken in thinking a) that the hours at Latham/Gibson/Sidley/White & Case will be at all better than the hours at S&C/DPW/STB/Kirkland/Weil simply because they are slightly lower ranked, and b) that there is such a massive gap between a top secondary market firm like K&L Gates and a middle-tier big market firm like White & Case - the difference between V5 and V20 corporate might actually be bigger.

You seem to be gunning for the prestige that accompanies handling the very biggest deals, so you might as well aim for the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:12 am

Seems to me like OP wants the prestige without the hard work. Good luck in life buddy.

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 pm

This fresh prince guy is nothing like big willie himself

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seems to me like OP wants the prestige without the hard work. Good luck in life buddy.
Hi! I am a human being! I also want prestige without working hard! This is not an irrational desire! Even though big law is hard there's nothing in the world wrong with trying to find the place that maximizes money and opportunity while minimizing misery - even if misery is guaranteed to be at least high everywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”