Compiled 2011 OCI Results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Compiled 2011 OCI Results

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:24 pm

mikunta wrote: I completely agree with the targeted non-OCI home-market comments, the guy from T18 with ties to nashville/birmingham etc was 9 for 55 which is great. I guess I was just surprised to see how low the success rate actually seems to be across the board.
This is me. Actually 4 of those 9 CBs that the chart lists as from mass mails came from job fairs. But with 10 total CBs, that still means 5 came from 55 mass mails (I included resume drops in with mass mails; there may have been just 1). Out of those, just in case you're curious, I got 1 offer, 1 rejection, 1 that I withdrew from consideration after getting other offers, and 1 CB that I never went on for the aforementioned reason.

mikunta

New

Post by mikunta » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:33 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
mikunta wrote:Agree with the responses, my comment was mostly prompted by the huge list of zeros in the mass mail CB column. I would've expected the percentage to be low, like 1 CB per (let's say) 50/100 mass mails. But it was pretty much zero across the board, even for t10/t14ers with good grades. Some guy really sent 2000 and got nothing? I guess they were probably not tailored at all but still, dudes at median at T14 you figure 2000 letters gotta get at least one bite.

I completely agree with the targeted non-OCI home-market comments, the guy from T18 with ties to nashville/birmingham etc was 9 for 55 which is great. I guess I was just surprised to see how low the success rate actually seems to be across the board.
I was that guy. I didn't get no bites, just very very few. Out of about 1,700 actual cold mailings (as opposed to resume drops), I got 11 screeners; 4 V100, 1 NLJ 250, rest unranked; 3 of those 11 also included being able to name-drop partners at the firms in the cover letter. Those 11 led to 4 callbacks (1 from a name drop), but all ended in rejections (one firm annoyingly rescinded a callback when they over-yielded, one canceled their entire program, and one lost my file and made me re-interview at OCI). Got my eventual job through a school resume drop.
goddam. that's solid hustling man, congrats on the offers and the job!
Anonymous User wrote:
mikunta wrote: I completely agree with the targeted non-OCI home-market comments, the guy from T18 with ties to nashville/birmingham etc was 9 for 55 which is great. I guess I was just surprised to see how low the success rate actually seems to be across the board.
This is me. Actually 4 of those 9 CBs that the chart lists as from mass mails came from job fairs. But with 10 total CBs, that still means 5 came from 55 mass mails (I included resume drops in with mass mails; there may have been just 1). Out of those, just in case you're curious, I got 1 offer, 1 rejection, 1 that I withdrew from consideration after getting other offers, and 1 CB that I never went on for the aforementioned reason.
glad to hear some success from career fairs. thanks for the reply and congratulations!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:39 pm

mikunta wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
glad to hear some success from career fairs. thanks for the reply and congratulations!
Whoops, my bad, 2 rejects, not 1, but yeah, go to SEMJF. People from my T18 schools got a ton a screeners across the board almost regardless of grades.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mikunta wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Whoops, my bad, 2 rejects, not 1, but yeah, go to SEMJF. People from my T18 schools got a ton a screeners across the board almost regardless of grades.
Some fairs are better than others. Arizona IMPACT is much better than RMLDCF which is still better than the Northwest Diversity fair.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mikunta wrote:Is it just me or do mass mails appear to be completely worthless?
I got a four V50 CBs and one V20 offer out of pre-OCI mass mailing. I ended up getting an offer from my #1 firm (a V5) out of OCI, so yeah, maybe in the end it was worthless; but that V20 offer bought a lot of peace of mind for a while.
I got 9/11 of my CB's out of mass mailings. And ended up getting rejected from both my OCI CB's, so my mass mailing 100% saved me. I did have major ties to the locations, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:35 am

This should be useful with bidding season coming up

shotsfired12

Bronze

Post by shotsfired12 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:14 am

They play baseball in puerto rico. lts.
Last edited by shotsfired12 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:28 am

SHANbangs wrote:Does anybody know where I can find some of the actual posters on some of these compiled lists? I tried looking by poster #, but that clearly did not work well. I understand people want to remain anonymous, but it'd be helpful to pick the brains of those who had better than expected results.
The link to the thread is in the OP. Basically everyone posted anon. Sorry bro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:40 am

For mass mailings, how tailored do the letters need to be to each firm?

I'm at university of Illinois and will be targeting Texas, where I am from. Is it sufficient for bigger firms to just explain my ties and explain that I'm interested in business and commercial litigation? Or do I need to get more specific than that?

Also, I'm in Texas all summer so I'm looking to get interviews before I go back to Illinois in the fall. When should I begin mass mailing TX firms?

Edit: and is mass mailing through mail or email?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:08 am

Am I reading the charts wrong, or is the data very encouraging? Looking at even the median and below chart, there are more V10 than strikeouts.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:12 am

delusional wrote:Am I reading the charts wrong, or is the data very encouraging? Looking at even the median and below chart, there are more V10 than strikeouts.
People who strike out tend not to post. So you're basically looking at almost only positive results.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For mass mailings, how tailored do the letters need to be to each firm?

I'm at university of Illinois and will be targeting Texas, where I am from. Is it sufficient for bigger firms to just explain my ties and explain that I'm interested in business and commercial litigation? Or do I need to get more specific than that?

Also, I'm in Texas all summer so I'm looking to get interviews before I go back to Illinois in the fall. When should I begin mass mailing TX firms?

Bumpskies... Anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For mass mailings, how tailored do the letters need to be to each firm?

Bumpskies... Anyone?
:(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”