RA experience Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

RA experience

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:33 pm

Have you ever had a professor who asked you to work over christmas?
I got an email from this professor on christmas eve saying that the project is urgent. He did not say I "must" work on it immediately.
Yet he knows that I have blackberry... and can be reached easily. I stayed up late on christmas on it.
Then he sent me another project on christmas.

I know a lot of people are probably busy over holidays. Still.... I was a little surprised.

Anonymous User

Re: RA experience

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have you ever had a professor who asked you to work over christmas?
I got an email from this professor on christmas eve saying that the project is urgent. He did not say I "must" work on it immediately.
Yet he knows that I have blackberry... and can be reached easily. I stayed up late on christmas on it.

I know a lot of people are probably busy over holidays. Still.... I was a little surprised.
From my experience most professor are jewish and may not have thought much about it. I received several emails on christmas which didn't bother me one bit. In the working world less and less do people and corporations care about holidays.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:57 pm

but this one is catholic.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have you ever had a professor who asked you to work over christmas?

A buddy of mine has something due in like a week or two and has had to work on it a lot recently. (I think the professor is christian) I have personally been given instruction to work on a project but wasn't told I had to work over Xmas. More "show me something after break." (Jewish professor). I sense this is more an issue of professional urgency and not religious obligations...

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

From my experience most professor are jewish and may not have thought much about it. I received several emails on christmas which didn't bother me one bit. In the working world less and less do people and corporations care about holidays.
I'm jewish too, but I like to think I'm not so socially awkward as to send an urgent project to a student on christmas.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:11 am

I was given an assignment a few days before Christmas, but with the caveat that it was "no rush." I still haven't finished it. FWIW, the professor is Christian.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:35 am

ben4847 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm jewish too, but I like to think I'm not so socially awkward as to send an urgent project to a student on christmas.
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:19 am

worked on christmas eve, christmas, new years eve, and new years day for an urgent project my professor needed done by 1/1 and sent me on christmas eve. maybe not common, but it needed to get done. it helped to know that my professor was also working on the project, so it wasn't like the project was just getting pushed on to me.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:01 am

-as seen on autoadmit-

I sympathize though. It's even harder when your prof is a night owl and keeps bizarre hours.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:26 am

Did not know that professors did anything urgent.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:16 am

KMaine wrote:Did not know that professors did anything urgent.
How else do they release grades on time? :lol:

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:13 am

Anonymous User wrote: From my experience most professor are jewish...
Really? You all were just going to let this one slide?

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:16 am

Renzo wrote:
I love slides.

Is it really most? That sounds exaggerated. Let me count of the ones I've had so far: 6/13. That is not even half, forget most.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:21 am

Renzo wrote:
Eh. If I responded to every screwy comment about Jews, I wouldn't have time to sleep. (Jew here). I think the bigger issue was his horrible grammar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”