Birmingham Big Law From Non-Southern T-14 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sunynp

Gold

Re: Birmingham Big Law From Non-Southern T-14

Post by sunynp » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://www.nalpdirectory.com/dledir_search_results.asp

33 in 2011 in the Birmingham office alone, 18 offers made.
Yeah I knew something was fishy.
So I wasn't far off with the 50% offer rate then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:15 am

sunynp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No the offer rate is not anywhere near 50% for the bigger firms - go look at the NALP data

NALP shows that BABC gave all 18 of its 2L SA's permanent offers

I would guess that Birmingham firms know that their SA's are usually splitting their summers, and thus they can't count on all of their SA's accepting the offers. Thus they give out a number of offers that surprises some people.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:22 am

Berkeley's unlikely to fly in Birmingham. Just sayin'...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:29 am

sunynp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They aren't all 2L SAs.

And yeah, I would agree that Berkeley could be a hard sell in the South, but with ties and UG here, it could be overcome.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:And yeah, I would agree that Berkeley could be a hard sell in the South, but with ties and UG here, it could be overcome.
Not at Bradley Arant or Balch Bingham, according to a quick school search of their attorney profiles.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:51 am

MrKappus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And yeah, I would agree that Berkeley could be a hard sell in the South, but with ties and UG here, it could be overcome.
Not at Bradley Arant or Balch Bingham, according to a quick school search of their attorney profiles.
I would imagine that there aren't many personality types that would both choose to go to Berkeley for law school and want to work in a law firm in Birmingham and have the ties to do so. Self-selection is going to play a HUGE part in that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote: I would imagine that there aren't many personality types that would both choose to go to Berkeley for law school and want to work in a law firm in Birmingham and have the ties to do so. Self-selection is going to play a HUGE part in that.
Exactly. How many people choose to go to law school at Berkeley and then choose to work in Birmingham? I mean just think about the words "Berkeley" and "Birmingham"...

If you look at Birmingham firms you'll find UChicago grads Harvard grads, all kinds. Berkeley just seems to be an especially unlikely choice of school for someone who wants to work in Birmingham.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote: I would imagine that there aren't many personality types that would both choose to go to Berkeley for law school and want to work in a law firm in Birmingham and have the ties to do so. Self-selection is going to play a HUGE part in that.
Anonymous User wrote:Exactly. How many people choose to go to law school at Berkeley and then choose to work in Birmingham? I mean just think about the words "Berkeley" and "Birmingham"...

If you look at Birmingham firms you'll find UChicago grads Harvard grads, all kinds. Berkeley just seems to be an especially unlikely choice of school for someone who wants to work in Birmingham.
You guys seem to have convinced yourselves, so that's all that matters. Lotsa luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:28 am

MrKappus wrote: You guys seem to have convinced yourselves, so that's all that matters. Lotsa luck.
I have a job at one of the major Birmingham firms. FYI they resume collect at Berkeley...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:32 am

MrKappus wrote: You guys seem to have convinced yourselves, so that's all that matters. Lotsa luck.
Do you live here? Do you understand the atmosphere of southern law firms or of Alabama/the South in general and how that would differ from, say, the atmosphere of Berkeley? If someone was set on working at a firm in Birmingham/has the necessary ties to get a job, why go all the way to California to law school over Duke/UVA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:45 am

For BABC: 18 2Ls, 18 offers made. 15 1Ls in 2010. So, according to NALP, it was a full offer rate for 2Ls

For 2011, there were 23 2Ls and 26 1Ls. Not sure about the offer rates here, but I think the 2Ls were close to 100%. It's tougher to get invited back as a 1L. If you make the cut then and come back, I think you're golden.

Also, I think you need to have a really convincing reason for coming back to Birmingham if you're going to swing a 1L SA from Berkeley. I split my 1L summer in Birmingham from a T14 and, despite being from the state, felt like I had to sell my "Why Birmingham" story incredibly hard at every interview. Even then, there were several firms that I could tell just weren't interested since they didn't believe that I really wanted to go back to Birmingham. I'm splitting my next summer in Birmingham again, as well. Once you spend 1L summer there, it's easier to convince firms that you're committed for 2L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:30 am

This may be the wrong place for this, but there seem to be a lot of people here with knowledge pertinent to my question.

I'm an out of state 0L (in the south), considering Alabama. I don't have ties to Alabama, to speak of, but I've spent some time there and would be interested in a permanant relocation to Birmingham or possibly Mobile (not a huge market there, but I love the gulf-coast). I've lived in another southern state for 3 ish years, but am not originally from the area.

What are my chances of cracking the Birmingham market, and what would best convince firms there that my interest in staying is sincere?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This may be the wrong place for this, but there seem to be a lot of people here with knowledge pertinent to my question.

I'm an out of state 0L (in the south), considering Alabama. I don't have ties to Alabama, to speak of, but I've spent some time there and would be interested in a permanant relocation to Birmingham or possibly Mobile (not a huge market there, but I love the gulf-coast). I've lived in another southern state for 3 ish years, but am not originally from the area.

What are my chances of cracking the Birmingham market, and what would best convince firms there that my interest in staying is sincere?
I have pretty strong ties to Birmingham, though I am not from there, and some of the firms are very skeptical of me. I think of 3 good ways to crack the Birmingham market:

1) Go to Alabama for law school. This won't be great, as they will still want a really compelling reason that you want to be in Birmingham, but this will show you're interested.

2) Marry someone who is from Birmingham or has a job in Birmingham. This will be the best way to solidify your ties to the region. Of course, this will likely be difficult.

3) Have your parents / some family member you're super close to move to Birmingham for a compelling reason, such as work or retirement. Again, this will not be easy.

If you go to an out-of-state school, and have no family / reason to be in Birmingham, and no past connections to Birmingham, there is almost no way firms will consider you. You need to show significant interest or have a legitimately compelling reason you want to be there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 pm

duckmoney wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This may be the wrong place for this, but there seem to be a lot of people here with knowledge pertinent to my question.

I have pretty strong ties to Birmingham, though I am not from there, and some of the firms are very skeptical of me. I think of 3 good ways to crack the Birmingham market:

1) Go to Alabama for law school. This won't be great, as they will still want a really compelling reason that you want to be in Birmingham, but this will show you're interested.

2) Marry someone who is from Birmingham or has a job in Birmingham. This will be the best way to solidify your ties to the region. Of course, this will likely be difficult.

3) Have your parents / some family member you're super close to move to Birmingham for a compelling reason, such as work or retirement. Again, this will not be easy.

If you go to an out-of-state school, and have no family / reason to be in Birmingham, and no past connections to Birmingham, there is almost no way firms will consider you. You need to show significant interest or have a legitimately compelling reason you want to be there.
This describes me and I got a Birmingham firm job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
duckmoney wrote:

Care to elaborate? Are you top 1% at UVA or something something?

I will very likely go to Alabama, courtesy of a generous scholarship that I do not expect other schools to match.

My fiance, soon to be wife, will be relocating and working in Alabama, if so. Don't know if this helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:11 am

does anyone have any insight on how the market is doing?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Care to elaborate? Are you top 1% at UVA or something something?

I will very likely go to Alabama, courtesy of a generous scholarship that I do not expect other schools to match.

My fiance, soon to be wife, will be relocating and working in Alabama, if so. Don't know if this helps.
Yes that will help significantly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Care to elaborate? Are you top 1% at UVA or something something?

I'm UVA near (or possibly at) the bottom of the class but from the South.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”