Split on focusing effort in practice state vs school state Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lsatextreme

Silver

Split on focusing effort in practice state vs school state

Post by lsatextreme » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:00 pm

So I was raised in the Bay Area and went to undergrad here as well, but I am now a 1L at a law school in the east coast that is ranked 30~50. I want to do IP but unfortunately, the school I went to is pretty much unknown here in the Bay Area. I definitely want to come back to CA to practice, whether it's the Bay Area or LA/Orange county, and I'm split on whether I should be focusing my efforts in the state where my school is located (where its graduates will have at least some cred) or whether I should be going all out in finding an IP firm internship here in CA. I was told various opinions on this issue...our CDO seems to think that my summer opportunity should be found in CA where I can start networking asap, whereas some IP attorneys I've spoken to here in the Bay Area seem to think that a 1L summer should be attained at the best opportunity available regardless of location, and so basically I would have a higher chance of attaining that in the state where my school is located, or any big markets directly neighboring that state.

Some helpful input/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Split on focusing effort in practice state vs school state

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:08 pm

Go to the Bay if you can, otherwise it will be harder when you are interviewing for 2L SA's to convince them you really want to be in the Bay. Also, you'll find that school alone in an East Coast market outside of NYC will not help you get a job in your school's market at all, so you really have to go Bay Area or bust. With IP, you don't need stellar grades, but you should try to do your best. 1L SA's are very hard to find, but try to use your connections to get something unpaid just to say you were in the Bay. DEFINITELY go to the Loyola Chicago Job fair next June for 2L SA's---given your school ranking that is probably your best (perhaps only) way to get a job as a 2L (mass mail too).

GL -- This is a really tough road to hoe but growing up in the Bay + UG there + IP are exactly what you need to get back home.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Go to the Bay if you can, otherwise it will be harder when you are interviewing for 2L SA's to convince them you really want to be in the Bay. Also, you'll find that school alone in an East Coast market outside of NYC will not help you get a job in your school's market at all, so you really have to go Bay Area or bust. With IP, you don't need stellar grades, but you should try to do your best. 1L SA's are very hard to find, but try to use your connections to get something unpaid just to say you were in the Bay. DEFINITELY go to the Loyola Chicago Job fair next June for 2L SA's---given your school ranking that is probably your best (perhaps only) way to get a job as a 2L (mass mail too).

GL -- This is a really tough road to hoe but growing up in the Bay + UG there + IP are exactly what you need to get back home.
+1

Just curious, OP, why did you chose to go to a T30-50 east coast school if you want to work in the Bay as opposed to, say, Davis or Hastings?

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:25 pm

thanks for the helpful advice all

I did not get into david/hastings unfortunately, or even any CA school close to them in ranking. I hit rock bottom in UG because of immaturity and my school in the east coast essentially took a chance with me based on my PS and UG prestige, i presume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:06 am

lsatextreme wrote:thanks for the helpful advice all

I did not get into david/hastings unfortunately, or even any CA school close to them in ranking. I hit rock bottom in UG because of immaturity and my school in the east coast essentially took a chance with me based on my PS and UG prestige, i presume.
Same. Hastings/Davis aren't splitter friendly.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:10 am

lsatextreme wrote:thanks for the helpful advice all

Ah. Well, then, I echo the suggestion that you try to focus your applications on where you want to work.

I worked somewhere other than my target market (but close to where my UG was) and I have been asked a number of times if I plan on staying in CA despite going to a CA law school. Not that it has been fatal to getting my foot in the door, but why have that doubt if you can avoid it? Besides, there is nothing more invaluable than making contacts in your market. Try to work in the Bay area 1L, network in your free time, and hustle for a job there your second year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”