Summer Dilemma: Firm Internship v. DA Internship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which option?

Half with firm, Half with DA
27%
Whole Summer with firm
73%

Total votes: 22

Anonymous User

Summer Dilemma: Firm Internship v. DA Internship

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:58 am

I have a bit of dilemma and would like some help.

I have two offers (somehow, 2L slightly over median at a T50).

One at a midsize firm in the middle of nowhere. This firm will pay decently and offers a very good shot at full time employment. They have offered me a half summer or a full summer internship. They made it clear that a job was very likely if I accepted for the whole summer and that it was probably about 50-60% likely if I accepted for half of the summer.

I also got an offer from an awesome metropolitan DA's office. I always figured I would do DA work when I graduated since my grades aren't good and it is something I enjoy. I would get to try some minor cases essentially on my own here and would get great experience. This is unpaid and is for half the summer.

I'm torn between surefire paid employment in the middle of nowhere for the full summer or splitting between the two and getting more experience/having a more enjoyable summer. Please advise.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Paying Firm Job v. DA Internship

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a bit of dilemma and would like some help.

I have two offers (somehow, at slightly over median at a T50).

One at a midsize firm in the middle of nowhere. This firm will pay decently and offers a very good shot at full time employment. They have offered me a half summer or a full summer internship. They made it clear that a job was very likely if I accepted for the whole summer and that it was probably about 50-60% likely if I accepted for half of the summer.

I also got an offer from an awesome metropolitan DA's office. I always figured I would do DA work when I graduated since my grades aren't good and it is something I enjoy. I would get to try some minor cases essentially on my own here and would get great experience. This is unpaid and is for half the summer.

I'm torn between surefire paid employment in the middle of nowhere for the full summer or splitting between the two and getting more experience/having a more enjoyable summer. Please advise.
As someone who went through something similar last year (I was told outright that the firm job would not lead to an offer until at least February of 2012), take the law firm gig and run with it. I got tons of courtroom experience at my summer job in a DA's office and while its made me more marketable, I would trade all that shit for an offer.

Also, I may get some negative feedback on this, but honestly you can probably work at the firm for a few years, then go to the DA's office. A lot of people on here will talk all this shit about how they want lifers and you're either in or out, but the pattern I've noticed from everywhere I've interviewed has been that a significant minority of people who went firm--->DA's office.

Note: The above is void if your DA's office gives offers at the end of the summer.

ran12

Silver

Re: Summer Dilemma: Firm Internship v. DA Internship

Post by ran12 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:18 pm

Go with the firm offer. You'll have so many more options out of it and will probably be happier. DA is way overrated and people have a over-fantasized vision of DA being some heroic figure but that's bs. Most DA offices have a very large attrition rate for good reason. Being a DA is not about finding justice and the truth; it's about screwing people over to get ahead.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:24 pm

firm

AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:27 pm

I'd say firm too and I desperately want to work in a DA's office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Firm. Bird in the hand and all that.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:43 pm

DA duh

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:19 pm

dood wrote:DA duh
Back when we were young and naive you sometimes rubbed me the wrong way, but over the past few days I have come to realize that I love you. Deeply. Please never change.

Re: the original question - if you've never done DA work before splitting might be smart to sort out your own desires. It doesn't sound like you are really sold on this firm job and I doubt splitting would hurt you that much in terms of odds of getting an offer, so it might be the best bet from a personal development angle.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:49 pm

thederangedwang wrote:firm
Shut up, 0L.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Grizz wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:firm
Shut up, 0L.
firm

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:04 pm

thesealocust wrote:
dood wrote:DA duh
Back when we were young and naive you sometimes rubbed me the wrong way, but over the past few days I have come to realize that I love you. Deeply. Please never change.
i admit i have a tendency to do that. sometimes it is on purpose and for those i apologize.

ty; i will not change,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exXe-2t6vbU

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Firm, unless you actually want to be an ADA. Becoming an ADA without any DA's office experience is extraordinarily difficult. If that was just your "fallback", then definitely the firm job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:15 pm

OP here.

Being an ADA sounds like the most interesting job, but I do like this firm and I'm not sure how public service hiring in the state is going (read: it's not going well and there is alot of competition). I have some PD experience from last summer so I am at least familiar with the system.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”