3L wants a different market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
elliej

New

3L wants a different market

Post by elliej » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:54 am

I worked at a V10 in NYC this summer and got an offer. I'm a 3L at a top five law school.

Problem is, I picked NYC because I was engaged and my fiance was dead set on living there. Recently I became unengaged, and I can't even sort of stand the thought of living in NYC alone--it's sort of entangled in my personal drama, but I also just don't like the city and find it stressful as hell. I know that I'm lucky to have a job, etc. I really am thankful and know that, at worst, I put in a year or two at my NYC BigLaw job and then move to LA, SF, or Chicago.

How would you recommend going about applying for jobs in other markets? Just cold e-mailing alums and sending applications? I talked to career services and they were pretty unhelpful, basically just told me to suck it up and try again later. If that's what it comes to, I'm okay with that. But if I could live somewhere near friends and family, I'd obviously rather have that chance.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L wants a different market

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:34 am

Assuming the firm has offices elsewhere, perhaps in your desired geo areas, ask the firm if you could start in a different office.

Happens quite often (i.e., changes in personal lives) between doing summer/getting offer and actually starting. Some firms permit you to start in other offices, other firms do not, some may make you "interview" with people in your preferred office to see if you are a match for that office.

It all depends on the firm, your likely practice area etc.

So, why not pick up the phone, and ask the firm - can you, because of changes in personal life, start in X office instead of NYC. Perhaps you need not even have to apply to other firms.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:36 am

On the bright side, no one can afford to live alone in NYC.

Which markets are you targeting now ? Might be a bit easier if you included DC in addition to Chicago, LA & San Francisco. Staying in NYC may not be bad since the hours are likely to be mind-numbingly long, leaving little time for a personal life beyond office related events. Don't mess-up your professional life because of a bump in your personal life.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:27 pm

elliej wrote:I worked at a V10 in NYC this summer and got an offer. I'm a 3L at a top five law school.

Problem is, I picked NYC because I was engaged and my fiance was dead set on living there. Recently I became unengaged, and I can't even sort of stand the thought of living in NYC alone--it's sort of entangled in my personal drama, but I also just don't like the city and find it stressful as hell. I know that I'm lucky to have a job, etc. I really am thankful and know that, at worst, I put in a year or two at my NYC BigLaw job and then move to LA, SF, or Chicago.

How would you recommend going about applying for jobs in other markets? Just cold e-mailing alums and sending applications? I talked to career services and they were pretty unhelpful, basically just told me to suck it up and try again later. If that's what it comes to, I'm okay with that. But if I could live somewhere near friends and family, I'd obviously rather have that chance.
was it law school that damaged the relationship? got any tips for others to avoid getting unengaged?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”