psychologically dealing with it Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BeenDidThat

Silver

Re: psychologically dealing with it

Post by BeenDidThat » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22 am

Omgz guys, how do I deal with having a job? I was born into a family where they cared about education, fed me well at a young age, and stressed the importance of working hard. I feel like I don't deserve having this job when other people didn't come from such privilege.

For really doe...thank your lucky stars, and strive to work hard at the job while also being the best person you can be to everyone you come across. Everybody's path is largely guided by things out of their control. But you can control what you can control, and if you're really worried about it (e.g., NOT TROLLING), just strive to be as good a person as you can be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:24 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:Omgz guys, how do I deal with having a job? I was born into a family where they cared about education, fed me well at a young age, and stressed the importance of working hard. I feel like I don't deserve having this job when other people didn't come from such privilege.

For really doe...thank your lucky stars, and strive to work hard at the job while also being the best person you can be to everyone you come across. Everybody's path is largely guided by things out of their control. But you can control what you can control, and if you're really worried about it (e.g., NOT TROLLING), just strive to be as good a person as you can be.
This. Most people on this site haven't earned anything on pure merit. They were born into homes where they had two parents who would provide for them. They went to private schools or good public schools, where they were surrounded by affluence, or at least intelligence. They then got into respectable colleges because of the high level of expectations in their secondary schools. All from the excellent foundations that their parents provided, outside of their control.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:57 pm

KMaine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't be this guy from the other day...

Background:
Him: median grades, v30 offer from dad
Me: law review, struck out

Him: How do you feel about this final?
Me: I never went to class or paid attention when I did, hopefully this supplement I read carries me.
Him: Oh man, you'll probably do better than me, some other blah blah blah but I was biting my tongue on the verge of a 'go fuck yourself'
You probably will do better than he will. I don't get what your problem is. It was a normal conversation. Don't hate.
The point is that it is completely irrelevant how I do on the exam, or how he does. At the end of the day, he has a job and I don't. I'll hate all I want.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:Omgz guys, how do I deal with having a job? I was born into a family where they cared about education, fed me well at a young age, and stressed the importance of working hard. I feel like I don't deserve having this job when other people didn't come from such privilege.

This. Most people on this site haven't earned anything on pure merit. They were born into homes where they had two parents who would provide for them. They went to private schools or good public schools, where they were surrounded by affluence, or at least intelligence. They then got into respectable colleges because of the high level of expectations in their secondary schools. All from the excellent foundations that their parents provided, outside of their control.
Yup, making the best of situations is what it's all about. Case in point: this anonymous poster didn't "deserve" to use the anonymous posting function: it revealed zero personal or sensitive job data and was, in general, calling everyone here entitled people who didn't really earn their success. But did that stop him from enjoying his ill-begotten anonymous posting protecting? Of course not!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”