"Attorney" listed as one of America's most overrated jobs by Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

"Attorney" listed as one of America's most overrated jobs by

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:05 pm

CNBC: http://www.cnbc.com/id/45210744?slide=8
Income Average: $113,211

Attorneys have been painted in an unflattering light in much of popular culture, but the fact remains that at some point, many people who don’t understand the law will need counsel. This is where the attorney comes in, and without his or her advice, businesses and individuals might find themselves in a legal bind.

An attorney earns an average salary of $113,211 a year, according to CareerCast.com. The search firm cites “lack of job stability in a poor economy, long hours, and deteriorating hiring prospects” as factors that make the job overrated.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Re: "Attorney" listed as one of America's most overrated jobs by

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:06 pm

Congratulations. You're all doing something that's overrated. You're basically members of a modern-day gold rush.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks? Are you not a law student/lawyer as well?

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Congratulations. You're all doing something that's overrated. You're basically members of a modern-day gold rush.
::enters thread::
::learns nothing new::
::enters non-contributing poast::
::leaves thread::

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Congratulations. You're all doing something that's overrated. You're basically members of a modern-day gold rush.
Who the fuck cares what you or CNBC thinks? I'm gonna be throwing hundreds on your daughter in fifteen years. Tell me how that feels.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:29 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
Who the fuck cares what you or CNBC thinks? I'm gonna be throwing hundreds on your daughter in fifteen years. Tell me how that feels.
THIS!

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:17 pm

In 25 years of practice, I have never once regretted going to law school or becoming a lawyer. Yes, the hours can be long. No, I've never made close to six figures (but no debt, either). Yes, the employment market is hair-raising right now.

But a lawyer works with his/her mind much more than most people. The answers are rarely cut-and-dried. You must solve mental puzzles about everything from the way the law should develop to whether a particular client's motives make him untrustworthy. And the stuff you work on can really MATTER to people.

For me, the law has been endlessly stimulating and interesting (though, to be fair, I never worked for a firm).

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:22 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:In 25 years of practice, I have never once regretted going to law school or becoming a lawyer. Yes, the hours can be long. No, I've never made close to six figures (but no debt, either). Yes, the employment market is hair-raising right now.

But a lawyer works with his/her mind much more than most people. The answers are rarely cut-and-dried. You must solve mental puzzles about everything from the way the law should develop to whether a particular client's motives make him untrustworthy. And the stuff you work on can really MATTER to people.

For me, the law has been endlessly stimulating and interesting (though, to be fair, I never worked for a firm).

You have worked for TWENTY FIVE YEARS and never made 6 figures??? Its hard to find that among professional class people.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:26 pm

NinerFan wrote:Thanks? Are you not a law student/lawyer as well?
I'm a law student, but I'm not one of these:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:27 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
Because the Internet never lies. That's why.

Seriously though, every other post on this site is just some dude's opinion. What percentage of posts properly cite a primary source of authority?

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:40 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:CNBC: http://www.cnbc.com/id/45210744?slide=8

Attorneys have been painted in an unflattering light in much of popular culture, but the fact remains that at some point, many people who don’t understand the law will need counsel. This is where the attorney comes in, and without his or her advice, businesses and individuals might find themselves in a legal bind.

An attorney earns an average salary of $113,211 a year, according to CareerCast.com. The search firm cites “lack of job stability in a poor economy, long hours, and deteriorating hiring prospects” as factors that make the job overrated.
Other overrated jobs in that list: physician, surgeon, psychiatrist, commercial airline pilot, and architect.
Being on that list isn't THAT bad.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:42 pm

downing wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:CNBC: http://www.cnbc.com/id/45210744?slide=8

Other overrated jobs in that list: physician, surgeon, psychiatrist, commercial airline pilot, and architect.
Being on that list isn't so bad.
This is actually a very good point. I just realized that the next few jobs on the list included doctors. Still, I think CNBC reporting that attorney jobs are overrated kind of confirms what could otherwise be attributed to a "grass is greener" mentality among attorneys.

Eliyahu7

New

Post by Eliyahu7 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Overrated does not equal bad. You have to come to a point where you assess who you are, what you want in life, and how your skill set lends itself to your goals. For many of us the pursuit of the legal profession is the logical outcome of that inquiry. The best thing you can take away from an article such as that is to know what you are getting yourself into, and not depend on unrealistic expectations.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:58 am

Last edited by mrloblaw on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:09 am

Real Estate Agent. Stock broker. Architect. Attorney. Airline pilot. Psychiatrist. Physician. Surgeon. Senior corporate executive.

Yea I saw this a while back. Thought nothing of it because these jobs that were on that list are the most glamorized and coveted and therefore, are most likely to be "overrated" when people strip away the idealized image of these jobs.

But Overrated? Give me a break. These are among the best jobs/professions in this country.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:17 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Airline pilot.
Talked to a guy who spent some time as a pilot. He quit to become a waiter. His description of that field made me actually made me feel good about being in law school.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:21 am

romothesavior wrote:
Talked to a guy who spent some time as a pilot. He quit to become a waiter. His description of that field made me actually made me feel good about being in law school.
What'd he say?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:22 am

ph14 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
What'd he say?
IIRC, terrible pay until you become a pretty senior pilot, really hard hours, and the airline industry is obviously not what it was a decade or two ago.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:30 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
::enters thread::
::learns nothing new::
::enters non-contributing poast::
::leaves thread::
Enjoyed this xoxo style poasting

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bigeast03

Bronze

Post by bigeast03 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:30 am

romothesavior wrote:
ph14 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
What'd he say?
IIRC, terrible pay until you become a pretty senior pilot, really hard hours, and the airline industry is obviously not what it was a decade or two ago.
This. Starting salary for pilots is something like $23,000/year- all the while paying off Flight School debt. Things could be much, much worse.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:32 am

What is the V100 of pilot jerbs? As a preftige obsessed lawl student, I need to know.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:58 am

Grizz wrote:What is the V100 of pilot jerbs? As a preftige obsessed lawl student, I need to know.
Delta, brah. Southwest is about on par with Cadwalader.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:03 am

romothesavior wrote:
Grizz wrote:What is the V100 of pilot jerbs? As a preftige obsessed lawl student, I need to know.
Delta, brah. Southwest is about on par with Cadwalader.
So the firms we are summering at are like Turkmenistan Air?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”