3L Process and Prospects Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Process and Prospects

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:32 am

It's time to stop bitching about not having a big-law SA lined up and time to start procrastinating on exams.

Who has had a successful 3L OCI experience and how did you succeed?

Also, does anyone have actual knowledge on any prospects for 3Ls at next year's OCI?

Should I focus all my efforts on inundating new york firms with mass mailings and follow up calls this summer or are there other markets that could open up if the economy keeps improving?

(assume for these questions the EU does not allow lazy peripheral countries to ruin the euro and Israel does not cause world war III)

some background

T4 to T14 transfer. Secondary Journal. Part-time law clerk position during academic year, full-time during the summer. It's not lucrative but it's a job in an interesting field - federal firearms compliance and enforcement regulatory firm.

NinerFan

Bronze

Re: 3L Process and Prospects

Post by NinerFan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:57 am

Check the 3L OCI thread for some successes. I don't think anyone would really have any "actual knowledge" about next year's prospects, but my spec is that if the economy continues to recover and europe doesn't kill everyone, that 3L OCI next year would be some improvement over 3L OCI this year. Chances probably aren't good for 3L OCI, though, in general if you didn't get an SA this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:16 am

NinerFan wrote:Check the 3L OCI thread for some successes. I don't think anyone would really have any "actual knowledge" about next year's prospects, but my spec is that if the economy continues to recover and europe doesn't kill everyone, that 3L OCI next year would be some improvement over 3L OCI this year. Chances probably aren't good for 3L OCI, though, in general if you didn't get an SA this year.
Assuming you have some knowledge, or anyone for that matter, would going in-house 2L summer help at all despite not having an SA? I've missed the biglaw SA ship, but it seems like there's a high probability of me locking down an in-house internship at a regulatory compliance consulting firm (mainly FDA stuff).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:57 am

I had a pretty solid 3L OCI experience this year. I transferred into the T14 as well and did not land a 2L-SA gig. The firms seemed to really care about my 2L grades (top 10%) and somewhat cared about my "prestigious" summer government job. I got several CBs and accepted a V10 offer early on in the process. I consider myself extremely lucky, but I do think 3L OCI prospects are improving somewhat. My advice would be to do your best at getting solid grades in respectable courses at your new school. Try to minimize the fluff courses.

3L Student

New

Post by 3L Student » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:41 am

Pretty similar experience to the poster above. I was a transfer from a T2 to T10. Here is what I posted in 3L OCI results thread. If you take anything from it, it is network like crazy and go in with a positive attitude. Don't let people on this board discourage you. And if I were you, I would start networking now. . . there might still be some jobs out there.

3L Student, who struck out last year!

School*: MVPB
Market(s): SF/NYC/LON
Approximate class rank: Transfer (Top 5% at T2); MEDIAN at T10.
Law review: Secondary
Work experience: 2 Years unrelated field
IP background: N
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): Paid internship with prestigious government organization
Screening Interviews: 10
Mass mails: 350+ (and about 100 targeted emails/networking)
Callbacks received: 7 - 2 OCI, 5 mass mail and networking
Callbacks accepted: 7
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V10 (SF), by networking; 1 (Magic Circle firm in LON), by networking; 1 NLJ 250, Market Pay (SF), OCI
Rejections: Withdrew from 3 (V10, Magic Circle, V10), rejection from 1 (V5).

Things that may have hurt me BESIDES terrible interviewing:
1) I did not summer with a firm after 2L because I did not receive an offer.
2) I have never worked with a firm before
3) I did litigation over the summer, and I only applied to Corporate Practice this time around

Advice:
1) NETWORK (call, email, visit. It's the only way to work it as a 3L, and I wish that I had done it during 2L)
2) Don't listen to the crap about there being no job opportunities during 3L. There are lots of firms hiring, you just have to network to get your foot in the door. If you have a negative attitude, like most of TLS here, you WILL fail. Don't give up!!!
3) PREPARE for interviews. Know the firm forwards and backwards. Know exactly what you want to do if you're a 3L, because firms are only looking to hire 3Ls into certain practice areas. Read Guerrilla Tactics (the interview section). PRACTICE your interviewing skills. Have prepared answers that come up every interview. Act extremely interested with every firm. And if you get an offer/CB, use it as leverage to see other firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:31 am

Bottom line is if you go to a T14 and do well you have a chance at biglaw your 3L year.

Your chances are significantly lower at schools outside the T14. Im top 20% at T25 and literally networked every day with law firms. Biglaw firms in NY did not want to touch me cuz im not T14 or top 10% at my school. Ironic cuz i received a C- in one class which dropped me from top 10 to top 20.

I received 3 screeners and 3 callbacks at biglaw/midlaw firms back in my home town from my efforts networking. The problem is since I am from a secondary city, they only hire if they seemed to have underhired. Unfortunately, at this point they do not think they underhired. Generally the bigger the firm, the more likely they are to take 3Ls.

Keep your grades up. I think ive heard 1 or 2 people withint the top 10% at my school that has had success in finding a biglaw or midlaw job.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:40 am

From a recruiter's perspective, more and more firms are considering 3Ls and developing programs geared towards 3L students - especially in the mid-markets. Keep your grades up and start networking in your local/home markets over the holidays.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”