Finding work in DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Finding work in DC

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:19 am

Why is DC so competitive? And when people say it's competitive, are they only referring to the larger firms? Would it be easier to find work with a smaller firm? How about the surrounding areas? Are those areas difficult to get work in smaller law firms? PD/DA positions?

I'm trying to convince myself that going out there without a job but pretty solid connections would be an okay move. Any help either way is greatly appreciated!

NinerFan

Bronze

Re: Finding work in DC

Post by NinerFan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:29 am

DC isn't my market, but others have told me that it's because they have an overly high opinion of themselves. I have no opinion on whether that's true or not, but people have said that grades that got them more prestigious firms in other markets had a harder time getting less prestigious firms in DC.

But, vault rankings aren't everything. I think it might be that there's a lot of competition for DC relative to the number of spots, but that's just what I've heard.

dawrp

New

Post by dawrp » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:54 am

Pretty much everything in DC is competitive. The big firms are obviously competitive. The Public Defender Service might be the most competitive PD in the nation (as in, everyone who works there went to Harvard), and there are no DA's, just U.S. Attorneys.

Smaller firms are probably the easiest nut to crack, especially if you have connections, but don't expect them to be a cake walk.

It gets less competitive in the surrounding areas, especially the farther out you go. But that's because no one really wants to live in rural Virginia.

And the cost of living in DC is pretty steep, so it could be a really big (and expensive) gamble to move without a job. Why everyone wants to work in DC, I don't know. I'm curious to know the answer to that myself.

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:01 am

THE SUMMERS ARE SO F***KING NICE!!!!

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:02 am

i think the demand for DC is a couple of things.

1) only place for regulatory/government focused work
2) anyone wanting to get into government work down the line (or right away) wants to go to DC
3) appellate work/practices are heavily DC biased, which is already competitive work to get, and means a lot of LR types want to go there, which makes it more competitive
4) better balance of lit/corp than NYC
5) easier place to live than NYC while still prestige-heavy (even though it's not a lot cheaper, it's definitely an easier place to live/more suburban)
6) add to all of that that DC is just a smaller legal market than NY and it's hard to get

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MachineLemon

Bronze

Post by MachineLemon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:45 am

koalatriste wrote:THE SUMMERS ARE SO F***KING NICE!!!!
No.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:47 am

I like D.C. for the cheap Ethiopian food, the food trucks, the pretty buildings, and the ability to gripe about tourists (I've pretty much only lived in medium-sized cities covered in tourists).

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:57 am

Have you ever survived a DC summer? DC summers a brutal.

blackacre

New

Post by blackacre » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:04 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Yea! Good job on setting that poster straight! They obviously don't know anything about DC summers. Good thing you were here to correct them. Let's hope they weren't being sarcastic or else you would look like an idiot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:11 am

blackacre wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
Yea! Good job on setting that poster straight! They obviously don't know anything about DC summers. Good thing you were here to correct them. Let's hope they weren't being sarcastic or else you would look like an idiot.
... do you feel better?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:13 am

Small(er) job market/SA classes; more competitive (not as many callbacks/offers made); strong demand for strong ties. I had DC connections and ended up getting only 3 callbacks (out of more than 20 mass mails+screens) and 1 offer.

blackacre

New

Post by blackacre » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:16 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
blackacre wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
... do you feel better?

You mad, bro?

blackacre

New

Post by blackacre » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Small(er) job market/SA classes; more competitive (not as many callbacks/offers made); strong demand for strong ties. I had DC connections and ended up getting only 3 callbacks (out of more than 20 mass mails+screens) and 1 offer.
All you need is one, right? What type of school did you go to and what were your ties? From where did you receive the offer?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:24 am

blackacre wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
blackacre wrote: Yea! Good job on setting that poster straight! They obviously don't know anything about DC summers. Good thing you were here to correct them. Let's hope they weren't being sarcastic or else you would look like an idiot.
... do you feel better?

You mad, bro?
It's funny. Because I essentially just asked you that ... except without using the meme.

Now I would like to give a brief statement:
thelaststraw05 wrote:I apologize to anyone that I may offended if misinterpreted koalistre. I only meant to clarify that DC summers are, in fact, unpleasant.

I am truly sorry for the pain and heartache I caused to all who were deeply invested in the potential sarcasm of koalatriste. I will try in the future to not be wrong on the internet.

I truly think that now it would be best if I retired from the internet to spend more time with my loved ones given this recent tragedy of misinterpretation.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:27 am

I'd be looking at JD-preferred gigs, too. If there is any city that's going to see a JD as a plus and not a liability, it's DC. There are roughly 100. hundred. billion. nonprofits in DC. There's a trade association for every interest imaginable, there are NGOs, charities, think tanks... It's pretty gross. Also, the unemployment in NOVA is stupid low. Do you have a place you could live a little while until you get a job? If so, I'd seriously consider moving out there and spamming the hell out of any organization that might want a JD.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:43 am

IAFG wrote:I'd be looking at JD-preferred gigs, too. If there is any city that's going to see a JD as a plus and not a liability, it's DC. There are roughly 100. hundred. billion. nonprofits in DC. There's a trade association for every interest imaginable, there are NGOs, charities, think tanks... It's pretty gross. Also, the unemployment in NOVA is stupid low. Do you have a place you could live a little while until you get a job? If so, I'd seriously consider moving out there and spamming the hell out of any organization that might want a JD.
Thank you for the advice! I am interested in policy and eventually lobbying so I'm wondering the best way to approach these trade associations. Do they hire entry-level staff? My student loans are fairly minimal so I wouldn't need to make a ton and don't mind working my way into a higher paying position. Thanks for your insight.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:47 am

Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

Unless you are top 10% of a T14 school :twisted:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:I'd be looking at JD-preferred gigs, too. If there is any city that's going to see a JD as a plus and not a liability, it's DC. There are roughly 100. hundred. billion. nonprofits in DC. There's a trade association for every interest imaginable, there are NGOs, charities, think tanks... It's pretty gross. Also, the unemployment in NOVA is stupid low. Do you have a place you could live a little while until you get a job? If so, I'd seriously consider moving out there and spamming the hell out of any organization that might want a JD.
Thank you for the advice! I am interested in policy and eventually lobbying so I'm wondering the best way to approach these trade associations. Do they hire entry-level staff? My student loans are fairly minimal so I wouldn't need to make a ton and don't mind working my way into a higher paying position. Thanks for your insight.
PM me

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:08 am

:lol: it used to be a swamp; however, NY and DC are almost the same in terms of summers (though the metro smells less than the subway)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:34 am

blackacre wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Small(er) job market/SA classes; more competitive (not as many callbacks/offers made); strong demand for strong ties. I had DC connections and ended up getting only 3 callbacks (out of more than 20 mass mails+screens) and 1 offer.
All you need is one, right? What type of school did you go to and what were your ties? From where did you receive the offer?
T14. DC area undergrad. WilmerHale.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”