How many clerks to each type of Article III get? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How many clerks to each type of Article III get?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm currently a 2L thinking about federal clerkships and am trying to get a handle on how many of these things there are per year.

I know there are about 680 district judges and 180 appellate judges but don't know how many clerks each takes per year and how many of them use 2 year clerkships. I've researched online a little bit and was unable to come up with a definitive answer.

ak362

Bronze

Re: How many clerks to each type of Article III get?

Post by ak362 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:49 pm

G. T. L. Rev. will know more, but I think district court judges usually have two (or at least the ones I applied to did). Circuit judges typically have four -- though there are exceptions. Some judges have a career clerk -- some judges (senior ones, mostly) don't hire any clerks, and the rare appellate judge will have five clerks (Judge Tjoflat comes to mind). Resources like Leadership Directories are usually credited for this sort of information.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Under current Judicial Conference policy, court of appeals judges may hire up to five people as law clerks or judicial assistants (secretaries); district judges may employ up to three people; bankruptcy and magistrate judges, up to two people. Restrictions on the way in which judges allocate their positions among law clerks and assistants (secretaries) vary according to the type of judge
http://www.fjc.gov/federal/courts.nsf/a ... endocument

Many judges will have one judicial assistant with the remaining spots as clerks (2 for Dist. Ct. and 4 for COA). As the poster above mentioned, some employ career clerks as well so that cuts down on the number of positions.

MarkL234

New

Post by MarkL234 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Anyone know what percent of judges do 2 year clerkships?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:30 pm

To supplement the Judicial Conference page, I'm aware of at least one district judge that has four clerks, having no secretary and letting the clerks split the role of the judge's deputy.

Additionally, the chief judge is allowed to hire an extra clerk.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:50 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:Maximizing Y also entails applying off-plan, which many 2Ls are unable or unwilling to do.
How does one apply off-plan? I'd be happy to, but can't seem to get any good information from anyone on how this process works. (I'm mostly aiming for district court, fwiw.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”