Public to Partner Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Public to Partner

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:18 pm

Does anyone know/has anyone heard of a "track" of going from private for a few years as associate, then working as prosecutor, AUSA for a bit, then transitioning back to private as a partner?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Re: Public to Partner

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:23 pm

I've heard that a few years as an AUSA between stints in biglaw lit isn't unheard of, and can help with partnership prospects.

jonas

Bronze

Post by jonas » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:24 pm

This is pretty common in the US Attorney's Office for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.

E.g., Paul Engelmayer, who recently became a district judge in SDNY:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_A._Engelmayer

Another prominent example is Mary Jo White of Debevoise:
--LinkRemoved--

anongoodnurse

New

Post by anongoodnurse » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:56 pm

My experience with a V20 firm is that to lateral in as partner, you really need to be the USA him/herself or a really high profile prosecutor (i.e., the Unibomber prosecutor). However, line attorney AUSA are able to come in as of counsel or senior associates, depending on seniority.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:04 pm

I think having a career in DOJ or SEC or something like that is helpful if you wanted to lateral in as a partner in Antitrust or White Collar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know/has anyone heard of a "track" of going from private for a few years as associate, then working as prosecutor, AUSA for a bit, then transitioning back to private as a partner?
LOL heard of it? You've got a much better chance at making partner that way than by simply working your way up as an associate. Search through law firm profiles by partner and white collar/antitrust/commercial litigation. Notice what you find. This is one of the reasons why becoming an AUSA has become so competitive. Hell it's a boost to the point where some firms actually have profile sections on their website specifically noting those attorneys who have former government experience: Covington DC for example.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:37 pm

anongoodnurse wrote:My experience with a V20 firm is that to lateral in as partner, you really need to be the USA him/herself or a really high profile prosecutor (i.e., the Unibomber prosecutor). However, line attorney AUSA are able to come in as of counsel or senior associates, depending on seniority.
Yep. If you were the chief of antitrust, or you have Rudy Giuliani's reputation as a white collar prosecutor, you will be able to attract clients, and thus someone will be willing to take you as a partner. Working in government litigation is a good way to become an experienced litigator, but that's not sufficient in itself to make you a partner candidate; after all, there are lots more experienced litigators than biglaw partners.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Also, if you decide to go down this road and somehow make it big in government, expect a firm to stick you in as "counsel" or some other senior-manager style for 1-3 years before being tabbed as partner. I'm not sure why. Maybe to make sure you can bring in the business/are committed to the private sector.

A Purple Cow

New

Post by A Purple Cow » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:50 pm

I agree with earlier posts. This seems to be standard practice at many top NYC firms nowadays. There's a good reason why the average AUSA at SDNY/EDNY spends less time there than counterparts at other offices. Few AUSAs likely get hired on immediately as partners, but at such a senior level, their talks with the firm almost certainly involve an implicit understanding that they will make partner within a year or two.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”