Any way to spin these ties to TX? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Stanford4Me

Platinum

Re: Any way to spin these ties to TX?

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:26 am

There were a few 1L summers at the firm I worked with (as a 1L) who were not from Texas. If you come from a good school and are able to convince them that you'd like to work in Texas, then you'll have a decent shot. From my experience speaking with partners in Dallas, market-paying firms are striving to get more students from T14 schools -- e.g. HayBoo has a "1L Fast Track" program that was designed specifically to introduce students from T14 schools to the city of Dallas.

If you're able to coherently discuss your interest in living and working in Texas (you're a fan of the culture, you enjoy the quality of life, you think it's a great place to raise your family--we Texans are big on families) then you should be fine. That's not to say you'll have a guaranteed in, but I think you'll be able at least get a few interviews in DFW and/or Houston.

Also, don't say corny stuff like "there must be something in the water."

Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to be more specific/have other questions.

ETA: Also, if you're not planning on interviewing over Winter Break, you're not getting a 1L SA in Texas.
Last edited by Stanford4Me on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:30 am

Stanford4Me wrote: If you're able to coherently discuss your interest in living and working in Texas (you're a fan of the culture, you enjoy the quality of life, you think it's a great place to race your family--we Texas are big on families) then you should be fine. That's not to say you'll have a guaranteed in, but I think you'll be able at least get a few interviews in DFW and/or Houston.
One of the most famous TX past times; I'm personally clocking 1:27 w/ mine atm, but once little Timmy cuts back on the country fried steaks, I think we'll be looking at 1:23 lol. :P

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:34 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote: If you're able to coherently discuss your interest in living and working in Texas (you're a fan of the culture, you enjoy the quality of life, you think it's a great place to race your family--we Texas are big on families) then you should be fine. That's not to say you'll have a guaranteed in, but I think you'll be able at least get a few interviews in DFW and/or Houston.
One of the most famous TX past times; I'm personally clocking 1:27 w/ mine atm, but once little Timmy cuts back on the country fried steaks, I think we'll be looking at 1:23 lol. :P
Haha.

:? ..... :oops:

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:42 am

Stanford4Me wrote: Haha.

:? ..... :oops:
:P Happens all the time, just poking fun early in the morning haha. btw, S4M (whoah, just realized, how cool would it be if your irl name was Sam? lol), which firm in Dallas did you work in this past summer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”