DA internship disclosure question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DA internship disclosure question

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:10 am

Ok, this is kind of a weird question but I wanted to see others' take on this. I am applying to DA offices for a summer internship, and one of the ones I really would like to intern at asks if a family member has ever committed a crime. Now one of my parent's cousins committed a serious crime (it even had press coverage when it happened), do I have to disclose this? I feel like my parent's cousins is a far enough away relative that I could get away with leaving it off.

shepdawg

Bronze

Re: DA internship disclosure question

Post by shepdawg » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:24 am

I would not consider that family.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, this is kind of a weird question but I wanted to see others' take on this. I am applying to DA offices for a summer internship, and one of the ones I really would like to intern at asks if a family member has ever committed a crime. Now one of my parent's cousins committed a serious crime (it even had press coverage when it happened), do I have to disclose this? I feel like my parent's cousins is a far enough away relative that I could get away with leaving it off.
So it's your second cousin? I doubt very seriously they want you to go that far but DA's notably err on the side of caution in disclosures. If it was me I may disclose it just because I doubt it is a ding of any sort and may give an interviewer a topic they want to talk about with you. Ask your school's career services though. They'll likely just say no but then you have a cover if anyone ever asks.

On the other hand with me I have several Uncles that shot at the police, some while on CNN, and several other very accomplished bank robbers. Yeah I wouldn't want to disclose mine because it is a pattern. Yours seems more like some distant relative, who you can marry, that would make a good story. Mine seems more the norm of my family. :?

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:58 am

This is a very strange question. My experience is limited to my own state, of course, but I have never heard of anyone ever asking whether a family member has committed a crime. For security clearances they might research your family but to come out and ask the applicant sounds tactless at best and seriously unfair at worst.

A VERY long time ago, I was vetted for a high level federal security clearance; the FBI dug up parents of high school girlfriends and questioned them about me but they never asked me if a family member was a criminal.

Are you sure you want to work for these people?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”