1L Judicial intern Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
imchuckbass58

Silver

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Post by imchuckbass58 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Ofta3184 wrote:How do yall guys suggest working with 1L SA interviews and interviews with federal judges?

Should you not even schedule interviews with judges (since they offer so quickly) if you happen to get a 1L SA interview?
It's tricky. Some (many) judges will be amenable to a split if you get a 1L SA. They understand the situation you're in and how it's hard to turn down an opportunity to make that much money when you're paying for school.

Chances are this isn't an issue. Unless you end up top 10% at a T10 after first semester, are a URM, or have some sort of strong connection to a firm, 1L SAs are just not happening. Even if you are top 10%, it's iffy. Aside from URMs and connections, I can literally count on one hand the number of people I know who got 1L SAs at CLS.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:47 am

drmguy wrote:The envelopes I bought came with "Resume Enclosed Do Not Bend" stickers. Should I use these?
My question is along this line. Should I send out cover letter and resume in a typical two-fold while envelope? Or in a big envelope? I realize this is a noob question, but I never do this before, so any advice is appreciated.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:55 am

target wrote:
drmguy wrote:The envelopes I bought came with "Resume Enclosed Do Not Bend" stickers. Should I use these?
My question is along this line. Should I send out cover letter and resume in a typical two-fold while envelope? Or in a big envelope? I realize this is a noob question, but I never do this before, so any advice is appreciated.
I went with the large fancy envelope. Sure, it cost me hundreds to do all the printing, buying the envelopes, paying the postage, etc. for 140 judges (plus update once I got my grades back). I'm sure it would be fine to get the smaller folding envelopes, but I just wanted the presentation to be as good as possible.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:01 am

kaiser wrote:
target wrote:
I went with the large fancy envelope. Sure, it cost me hundreds to do all the printing, buying the envelopes, paying the postage, etc. for 140 judges (plus update once I got my grades back). I'm sure it would be fine to get the smaller folding envelopes, but I just wanted the presentation to be as good as possible.
Thanks. Although, I don't think I can afford sending out to 140 judges using fancy envelopes. I may just send the nice one to judges in my hometown and those who I think I have a chance.

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:17 pm

I eventually stopped using the fancy envelopes and went with the traditional manila ones. I sent a manila one to the state supreme court judge that I ended up working for after my 1L year. I don't think it really matters. (Though, resume/cover letter still should use resume paper; Fedex-Kinkos is pretty clutch for that.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”