may not be right board, but need to post anon... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

may not be right board, but need to post anon...

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:24 pm

i am concerned with a few incidents in my past which may affect C&F; i apologize that this is in the wrong board, but id like to post these anonymously for obvious reasons...

i plan to disclose everything - but how big of a problem will these be for C&F? could they possibly preclude me from/delay for a long time admission?

the incidents are these:
1. an MIC citation in college; went through school's alcohol counseling program and no official disciplinary action was taken

2. 3 domestic disturbance (noise complaint) calls - each time was because my neighbors heard my girlfriend and i arguing and called the police. the police never took any action because the arguments were purely verbal. prior to those incidents, i had asked those neighbors to keep their music down when they were throwing a party at 3 am, and they seemed to call the police as "revenge." the police told me that they had to fill out a domestic disturbance incident report, but that i was not charged with a crime or under arrest at any time.

obviously, i am most concerned about the domestic disturbance calls - especially because of the label "domestic disturbance." had those incidents not involved a girlfriend, they would have likely been labeled as a simple noise complaint.

sorry again for posting in the wrong forum...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: may not be right board, but need to post anon...

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Based on the posted information, you should not have any difficulty with C&F other than required explanations.

littlebit

New

Post by littlebit » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:39 pm

I think the problem is that there are three incidents. I don't think it will be a problem with C&F but I am concerned about law schools seeing this as a red flag and not wanting someone at their school that can't argue without raising his/her voice. Really, loud enough THREE times to cause the cops to be called?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:sorry again for posting in the wrong forum...
You're a current student and passing C&F certainly affects your employment, so I think it makes sense to have here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:51 pm

littlebit wrote:I think the problem is that there are three incidents. I don't think it will be a problem with C&F but I am concerned about law schools seeing this as a red flag and not wanting someone at their school that can't argue without raising his/her voice. Really, loud enough THREE times to cause the cops to be called?
yeah :oops: although, to clarify, it was an apartment with extremely thin walls, e.g., i can hear my neighbors talking in normal voices if i'm near the common wall

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:54 pm

I don't think many people are intimately involved with C&F issues so its impossible to say for sure, but I can't imagine this being an issue. If it was, we'd have a hell of a lot fewer lawyers out there. You have no criminal record and neither is evidence of dishonesty or fraud. You're probably fine.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:52 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Based on the posted information, you should not have any difficulty with C&F other than required explanations.
+1
Also, many states only ask you to disclose if you were arrested/charged. Check the C&F questions for your jurisdiction.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Please don't bring up any excuses for the domestic disturbance calls. Having worked in DV, EVERY SINGLE person to have ever been cited with anything related to domestic anything has some kind of "not my fault" kind of excuse. Just tell them that you and your girlfriend were arguing too loudly. It's not like that hasn't happened to every single person at some point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:31 pm

what about two DWAIs (traffic infraction in NY).. one 6 years ago.. one during 1L summer. doomed eh

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what about two DWAIs (traffic infraction in NY).. one 6 years ago.. one during 1L summer. doomed eh
DUI, DWI = Doomed
DWAI = Don't Worry About It!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm

A'nold wrote:Please don't bring up any excuses for the domestic disturbance calls. Having worked in DV, EVERY SINGLE person to have ever been cited with anything related to domestic anything has some kind of "not my fault" kind of excuse. Just tell them that you and your girlfriend were arguing too loudly. It's not like that hasn't happened to every single person at some point.
Not me. My girlfriend knows not to make a peep.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:39 pm

OP, if you weren't cited for the calls, they were nothing more than loud noise complaints. I'd label them as that and then explain. (FWIW, this is actually the entry we put them under when I was a cop and we responded. It wasn't domestic unless we verified physical.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:50 pm

OP here...

Thanks for the responses. FWIW, I was never cited - basically the cops came, made sure there was nothing physical, then told us to keep it down in the future.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here...

Thanks for the responses. FWIW, I was never cited - basically the cops came, made sure there was nothing physical, then told us to keep it down in the future.
Sounds like a noise complaint to me.

Hippononymous

Bronze

Post by Hippononymous » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:17 am

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here...

Sounds like a noise complaint to me.
This. I don't think I'd even mention that it was an argument. I definitely wouldn't blame it on the neighbors trying to "take revenge" on you. You might mention the thin walls though...

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:02 pm

My professional responsibility professor told me that you only need to worry about things the the board may see as being a "continuous problem that will interfere with your duty AS A LAWYER." Disturbances at home hardly seem to fit the bill. Read some bar application appeal cases in your state and you'll see some major scumbags being accepted into the bar. So, although you seem to be a scumbag verbal abuser of all your future girlfriends and spouses, you can probably practice law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”