1L biglaw SA expectations in IP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L biglaw SA expectations in IP

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:26 am

Having seen the 1L summer internship tips thread,
I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on 1L SA expectations in biglaw IP (patents). Lets assume I have a BS and great school/grades and no USPTO license.

erico

Bronze

Re: 1L biglaw SA expectations in IP

Post by erico » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:19 pm

i wouldn't expect much. it's very tough.

azntwice

Bronze

Post by azntwice » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:06 pm

it's definitely possible -- i know someone with same credentials and good 1L grades who got a biglaw job. however, it requires a hell of a lot of research, footwork and time spent on applications. apply everywhere and anywhere and emphasize your interest in IP. it would be better if you passed the patent bar, esp considering that the patent reform act might make all the prep materials out there obsolete very very soon. good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:51 pm

erico wrote:i wouldn't expect much. it's very tough.
Care to explain? Naturally I assume that if it is tough then there are high expectations.

And just for clarification, I'm asking about work expectations, not job qualification expectations

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Care to explain? Naturally I assume that if it is tough then there are high expectations.

And just for clarification, I'm asking about work expectations, not job qualification expectations
wtf? do you have such a job or do you often consider work expectations for jobs you don't have and are likely not to get?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:34 am

c3pO4 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

wtf? do you have such a job or do you often consider work expectations for jobs you don't have and are likely not to get?

Lets say #2, expectations of jobs not yet obtained.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lets say #2, expectations of jobs not yet obtained.
Lulz. Engineering degree from top 20 UG, top 5% after 1st semester at a top 20 school. No 1L SA, and not for lack of trying. But you go on and expect away, son. Unless of course you're URM, in which case... yeah, probably still not getting one.

ETA: didn't even get screening interviews, just FYI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:48 am

I don't know any non-minority who got a summer SA from my lower T14, and I know a lot of IP people. IP ain't what it used to be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:56 am

The expectations are similar to those for 2L SAs, which are not particularly high. Everyone I knew with a 1L BigLaw SA (many in IP) got return offers.

The most important thing is to maintain a positive, enthusiastic attitude and make an effort to get to know other people. Don't act or feel special/entitled/different/clueless just because you are a 1L at the firm. Get your work done in a timely fashion, but understand that it's ok to ask a lot of questions, screw up, turn in stuff that is not perfect, especially at the beginning. Just remember to keep a smile on your face and be. positive. even if you get criticism, even if you have to stay late working on stuff you think is miserable.

At the end of the summer, people are really just asking themselves if you're someone they'd like to train. As someone who has been on both the training and trainee end of corporate america, attitude goes a LONG way.

If you want to make an extra positive impression, under promise and over deliver.

Also, 1L BigLaw SAs are definitely a longshot, but 10-15% at my T6 were able to score them, which is not insignificant. Vast majority of people from my (#1/#2) engineering undergrad --> law school in recent memory had 1L BigLaw SAs, regardless of their law schools (I'm observing this anecdotally, but I think a quick linkedin search will confirm). Most of them were not minorities (some of them overrepresented minorities). It helps if you know people within the firm and have good work experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:56 am

yea. it's definitely very very difficult. if you're EE (MS or PhD) AND have work experience you might have a better shot.

my recommendation is to focus on IP boutiques. A few in Chicago recruit almost exclusively through 1L hiring - (McAndrews/Banner & Witcoff/Leydig). Some prosecution focused boutiques will take on exceptional 1Ls (Fitzpatrick OC, Christie Parker in Los Angeles).

another recommendation is Morrison & Foersters 2 Summer Patent Program. This is for prosecution only. Not sure if they will be running the program in 2012, but job posting should be on Symplicity December 1st)

If you are URM a few of the boutiques do Diversity 1L hiring and you can always throw an app at the general Diversity 1L Programs at large firms.

Be aggressive, apply early!! (first week of December) if things don't work out by February, it's best cut your losses and focus on getting experience with a judge/small law/in-house/etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:13 am

BigLaw and IP Boutiques take on 1L patent summers with the objective of beating other firms to the best, rarest engineering/science talent. Typically this means candidates with several years work experience and in-demand tech backgrounds like EE and usually advanced degrees MS/PhD.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:55 am

Lets please get back on topic - I'm asking about work expectations, not job availability.

Thanks to the anon response comparing it to 2L SA and the tips about attitude.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”