270 applicants for available position at State Attorney Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ChrisRedfield

New

270 applicants for available position at State Attorney

Post by ChrisRedfield » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:09 pm

That's what the recruiting attorney said at the State Attorney's informational meeting I attended. And as a 1L I used to think that the PD's office and SA office were guaranteed fall back options... lol.

I guess come August 2012, I will be waiting tables and doing occasional doc review contract work at $30 an hour like many of my friends who graduated last year.

phonepro

Bronze

Re: 270 applicants for available position at State Attorney

Post by phonepro » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:12 pm

cool story.

ChrisRedfield

New

Post by ChrisRedfield » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:14 pm

phonepro wrote:cool story.
You want to tell me how this contributes to this discussion at all, or did you just feel particularly snarky today? If I were an Admin on this site, I would have you banned (srs).

ggibelli

Bronze

Post by ggibelli » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:19 pm

ChrisRedfield wrote:That's what the recruiting attorney said at the State Attorney's informational meeting I attended. And as a 1L I used to think that the PD's office and SA office were guaranteed fall back options... lol.

I guess come August 2012, I will be waiting tables and doing occasional doc review contract work at $30 an hour like many of my friends who graduated last year.
what type of grades did you receive? also school?

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:22 pm

ChrisRedfield wrote:
You want to tell me how this contributes to this discussion at all, or did you just feel particularly snarky today? If I were an Admin on this site, I would have you banned (srs).
Props on correctly using the subjunctive tense and "srs," but u seem mad. U mad?

And yeah, that sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChrisRedfield

New

Post by ChrisRedfield » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:29 pm

ggibelli wrote:
ChrisRedfield wrote:That's what the recruiting attorney said at the State Attorney's informational meeting I attended. And as a 1L I used to think that the PD's office and SA office were guaranteed fall back options... lol.

I have a 3.1 GPA, which means I'm in the "top" 40% of my class at a school I'd rather not mention by name. All I'll say is that it is a T50 school that claims 99% employment after graduation, but I can tell you that of the 3Ls I knew last year, about one-third still don't have jobs six months after graduation.

There is so much competition for jobs that even local government and non-profits are no longer sure fire bets.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:39 pm

ChrisRedfield wrote:
ggibelli wrote:

I have a 3.1 GPA, which means I'm in the "top" 40% of my class at a school I'd rather not mention by name. All I'll say is that it is a T50 school that claims 99% employment after graduation, but I can tell you that of the 3Ls I knew last year, about one-third still don't have jobs six months after graduation.

There is so much competition for jobs that even local government and non-profits are no longer sure fire bets.
Why would it surprise you that there would be hundreds of applicants for a state assistant attorney general position? That's like people complaining that there are thousands of people applying to Microsoft or Boeing in Seattle......it doesn't mean all of them are qualified or even mean that many of those applicants aren't already employed. Those jobs are popular and have the image of stability that many want right now in this economy. Plus, put out a job listing on an undergrad job board for an entry level management position for business grads or something like that and get ready for hundreds of apps for one position. That's life. It doesn't mean that your odds of landing ANY attorney job is one in 260 or whatever.

Edit: For example, I am still in law school and applied for one of these jobs and made it to the final round of interviews where only a handful were left after over 100 other student applicants had been weeded out.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:34 pm

Probably a significant chunk of those 270 are people who, like you, thought that type of position was a "fall back option." The rest are the people who have an actual shot at the position.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:41 pm

ChrisRedfield wrote:
Joined today at 1AM, you probably are alting from a ban.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:52 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
ChrisRedfield wrote:
Joined today at 1AM, you probably are alting from a ban.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:04 pm

270 is actually relatively few compared to many other jobs. DOJ Honors, for example, gets several thousand. An in-house gig I know of received 800. I'd assume a place like the Manhattan DA also gets well over 1,000 applications.

wildhaggis

Bronze

Post by wildhaggis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 pm

ChrisRedfield wrote:If I were an Admin on this site, I would have you banned (srs).
Who even says stuff like this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:17 pm

ChrisRedfield wrote:99% employment after graduation
hahahahahaha

Indifferent

Bronze

Post by Indifferent » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:24 pm

ChrisRedfield wrote:
ggibelli wrote:

No job was ever a "sure fire bet"; even in a good economy no one was assured a job and people had to network and work hard to find somewhere to start their career. Public interest jobs have long been difficult to obtain and with state and local governments cutting budgets, it should come as no surprise that there is increased competition for the limited number of available positions.

You could have easily discovered, either by talking to current students or browsing a site like TLS, that the 99% employment rates purported by most schools, especially those outside of the T14, are deceptive and inaccurate. If you're graduating in 2012 that means you entered school in 2009 - it was fairly obvious at that point that the economy was in poor shape and that legal jobs would be more difficult to come by. Bitching about the economy being tough isn't going to help you get a job - what will help is attending networking events, reaching out to alumni, participating in clinics and getting experience that you can put on your resume to make you stand out from the competition. Sure, the economy sucks, but you've got to be resilient and try to keep positive.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:55 am

Indifferent wrote:
ChrisRedfield wrote:
ggibelli wrote:

No job was ever a "sure fire bet"; even in a good economy no one was assured a job and people had to network and work hard to find somewhere to start their career. Public interest jobs have long been difficult to obtain and with state and local governments cutting budgets, it should come as no surprise that there is increased competition for the limited number of available positions.

You could have easily discovered, either by talking to current students or browsing a site like TLS, that the 99% employment rates purported by most schools, especially those outside of the T14, are deceptive and inaccurate. If you're graduating in 2012 that means you entered school in 2009 - it was fairly obvious at that point that the economy was in poor shape and that legal jobs would be more difficult to come by. Bitching about the economy being tough isn't going to help you get a job - what will help is attending networking events, reaching out to alumni, participating in clinics and getting experience that you can put on your resume to make you stand out from the competition. Sure, the economy sucks, but you've got to be resilient and try to keep positive.
I don't agree with this. When I applied in 2008-9 there was nothing out there but the scambloggers and they are not exactly a reliable source of information. When everyone and their mother is telling you law school is the safe bet in a recession and the facts and figures on the school's website back that up, plus the voices against have pictures of toilets all over their websites it's not that difficult to discount the naysayers. The wave of articles in the NYT and other big name publications hadn't happened in 2009. Plus, not everyone knows people in law school. I didn't know a single person my age who was in law school who I could have asked. TLS hadn't become the site it now is (where there is a lot of scamblogger influence); there weren't a ton of students posting.

caputlupinum

Bronze

Post by caputlupinum » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:47 am

A'nold wrote:
ChrisRedfield wrote:
ggibelli wrote:

Why would it surprise you that there would be hundreds of applicants for a state assistant attorney general position? That's like people complaining that there are thousands of people applying to Microsoft or Boeing in Seattle......it doesn't mean all of them are qualified or even mean that many of those applicants aren't already employed. Those jobs are popular and have the image of stability that many want right now in this economy. Plus, put out a job listing on an undergrad job board for an entry level management position for business grads or something like that and get ready for hundreds of apps for one position. That's life. It doesn't mean that your odds of landing ANY attorney job is one in 260 or whatever.

Edit: For example, I am still in law school and applied for one of these jobs and made it to the final round of interviews where only a handful were left after over 100 other student applicants had been weeded out.
Deputy State Attorney in Florida = Deputy District Attorney everywhere else...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:56 pm

Indifferent wrote:
ChrisRedfield wrote:
ggibelli wrote:
ChrisRedfield wrote:

I don't agree with this. When I applied in 2008-9 there was nothing out there but the scambloggers and they are not exactly a reliable source of information. When everyone and their mother is telling you law school is the safe bet in a recession and the facts and figures on the school's website back that up, plus the voices against have pictures of toilets all over their websites it's not that difficult to discount the naysayers. The wave of articles in the NYT and other big name publications hadn't happened in 2009. Plus, not everyone knows people in law school. I didn't know a single person my age who was in law school who I could have asked. TLS hadn't become the site it now is (where there is a lot of scamblogger influence); there weren't a ton of students posting.
As a poster that posted frequently back then, I can tell you that you are so full of crap it is not even funny.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:09 pm

timbs4339 wrote:I don't agree with this. When I applied in 2008-9 there was nothing out there but the scambloggers and they are not exactly a reliable source of information. When everyone and their mother is telling you law school is the safe bet in a recession and the facts and figures on the school's website back that up, plus the voices against have pictures of toilets all over their websites it's not that difficult to discount the naysayers. The wave of articles in the NYT and other big name publications hadn't happened in 2009. Plus, not everyone knows people in law school. I didn't know a single person my age who was in law school who I could have asked. TLS hadn't become the site it now is (where there is a lot of scamblogger influence); there weren't a ton of students posting.
Translation: "There were warnings back then, but I ignored them because they were so dire I didn't think they were true. Since they didn't manage to convince me how bad things were, they must not have actually been there in the first place."

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:13 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:I don't agree with this. When I applied in 2008-9 there was nothing out there but the scambloggers and they are not exactly a reliable source of information. When everyone and their mother is telling you law school is the safe bet in a recession and the facts and figures on the school's website back that up, plus the voices against have pictures of toilets all over their websites it's not that difficult to discount the naysayers. The wave of articles in the NYT and other big name publications hadn't happened in 2009. Plus, not everyone knows people in law school. I didn't know a single person my age who was in law school who I could have asked. TLS hadn't become the site it now is (where there is a lot of scamblogger influence); there weren't a ton of students posting.
Translation: "There were warnings back then, but I ignored them because they were so dire I didn't think they were true. Since they didn't manage to convince me how bad things were, they must not have actually been there in the first place."
Where did I say the warnings weren't there? What I said was that they hadn't yet reached a point where most people would consider them credible given all the other information that tells you law school is a good idea and the schools aren't fudging their stats. The presumption that a non-profit educational institution isn't lying about placement is a huge one to overcome and students are (wisely or stupidly) willing to give the benefit of the doubt to law schools. Even now, with LST, LawProf, and articles in major national publications law students still come on here and need to be told about how schools fudge their stats and how crappy the entry-level job market is- and those are the ones who are actually here. I know people who applied and were accepted to law schools never hearing about this place and instead trusting their law school college counselor.
A'nold wrote: As a poster that posted frequently back then, I can tell you that you are so full of crap it is not even funny.
I was here during the 2008-09 cycle as well. There was not the kind of atmosphere there is now with people popping into threads and warning people not to go, and multiple page "don't go to law school" threads.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Absurd wrote:
wildhaggis wrote:
ChrisRedfield wrote:If I were an Admin on this site, I would have you banned (srs).
Who even says stuff like this?
Apparently a moron who's barely above median at a T50?
This was not an appropriate use of the anon feature. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=170603

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:21 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Where did I say the warnings weren't there? What I said was that they hadn't yet reached a point where most people would consider them credible given all the other information that tells you law school is a good idea and the schools aren't fudging their stats. The presumption that a non-profit educational institution isn't lying about placement is a huge one to overcome and students are (wisely or stupidly) willing to give the benefit of the doubt to law schools. Even now, with LST, LawProf, and articles in major national publications law students still come on here and need to be told about how schools fudge their stats and how crappy the entry-level job market is- and those are the ones who are actually here. I know people who applied and were accepted to law schools never hearing about this place and instead trusting their law school college counselor.
A'nold wrote: As a poster that posted frequently back then, I can tell you that you are so full of crap it is not even funny.
I was here during the 2008-09 cycle as well. There was not the kind of atmosphere there is now with people popping into threads and warning people not to go, and multiple page "don't go to law school" threads.
The reverse is true. There were less scambloggers but more level headed people legitimately concerned about our futures. The scambloggers started flooding this website later. As it is right now, the most talked about thing on TLS was the economy and how the market was for lawyers and "should I go to ls" threads were just as common as they are now.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:02 pm

caputlupinum wrote: Deputy State Attorney in Florida = Deputy District Attorney everywhere else...
Assistant State Atty., duder.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:35 pm

A couple of things...

First, welcome to law school OP. How the hell are you just now figuring out how bad things are? You sound genuinely surprised at all of this.

Second, while it is obvious that the market is TERRIBLE, it is hard to really use the applicant : spots ratio as a metric. If every person applies to 100+ jobs, you are going to have a ton of applicants for any given position. Not trying to downplay the shittiness of the market (and obviously 270:1 is bad, and 800:1 or 2 is really bad), but its hard to get a real read on these things.

Finally, I agree with seatown. A huge number of the people who applied to this job likely treated it as a fallback, and very few have a real shot. Prosecutors like to see genuine interest.

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:53 pm

do you think you will be doing doc review next august?

doc review at $30 an hour are for people who have already been admitted to the bar.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”