Goldman Sachs Private Wealth Management Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
run26.2

Silver

Re: Goldman Sachs Private Wealth Management

Post by run26.2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Veyron wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I attend one of the top public universities (e.g. Berkley, UVa, UMich)
They're really only looking to hire from schools they recruit from, according to my friend who did PWM last summer. I recommend that you go talk to career services about whether they do.
UVA is a target, at least it used to be. Probably more for Darden than anything else tho.
Schools with elite business and law schools seem to be the places they recruit.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:09 pm

run26.2 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I attend one of the top public universities (e.g. Berkley, UVa, UMich)
They're really only looking to hire from schools they recruit from, according to my friend who did PWM last summer. I recommend that you go talk to career services about whether they do.
UVA is a target, at least it used to be. Probably more for Darden than anything else tho.
Schools with elite business and law schools seem to be the places they recruit.
The year I looked, UVA was the lowest ranked target (by UG US news). All the ivys were targets as were Georgetown, Duke, NW, Chicago. Maybe Berk/Mich were in there as well but I don't remember that being the case.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:13 pm

Veyron wrote: The year I looked, UVA was the lowest ranked target (by UG US news). All the ivys were targets as were Georgetown, Duke, NW, Chicago. Maybe Berk/Mich were in there as well but I don't remember that being the case.
As I said, all of those schools have good business schools (and I was referring to graduate schools, but their UG business programs are also good).

Where did you get this info re: Goldman Sachs?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:16 pm

run26.2 wrote:
Veyron wrote: The year I looked, UVA was the lowest ranked target (by UG US news). All the ivys were targets as were Georgetown, Duke, NW, Chicago. Maybe Berk/Mich were in there as well but I don't remember that being the case.
As I said, all of those schools have good business schools (and I was referring to graduate schools, but their UG business programs are also good).

Where did you get this info re: Goldman Sachs?
Fuck if I remember, I did a hell of a lot of research on banking gigs before I realized that I would absolutely hate my life if I did it but anyways, I remember those being the schools where they did on campus recruiting (for undergrads) [which I think is synonymous with the school being a target but I could be wrong].

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:03 am

So i asked someone who works in the finance industry and the person tells me PWM is typically for IBankers who are retiring, who already has an established client base...(so basically not for young people).. any truth to this? And is it smart to go straight into this after getting my JD/passing the bar??

I'm not the OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:07 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey, I was just wondering what people know about Goldman's private wealth management division and how hard it is to get hired? I have a meeting with them tomorrow and just want to have some idea of what it is going in (I have a vague idea but more insight would be appreciated)
Through your school or on your own? If on your own, through the recruiting website or a contact? Thanks
Op here, I got it through my school (MVP). Thanks for all the advice so far, I know it's not the best position but I don't have a big law offer so I'm leaving my options open haha

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:38 am

Private wealth management is a tough gig to succeed at as a young person. You need to be able to bring in a shit ton of assets fast (like $15 million in stuff that pays a trailing fee within 12 months after licensing). Unless you are extraordinarily well-networked or can latch on as a junior member of an established team, the odds are stacked against you in a big way. Do-not-call lists really handicap young brokers who are otherwise slick salesmen.

My old firm had a burn rate of around 95% on new brokers within eighteen months.

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:So i asked someone who works in the finance industry and the person tells me PWM is typically for IBankers who are retiring, who already has an established client base...(so basically not for young people).. any truth to this? And is it smart to go straight into this after getting my JD/passing the bar??

I'm not the OP.
i dont see how working as a banker for 30 odd years leads to a position in pwm. the work they do is very different. also some who is in the position to be retiring from banking (meaning he's worked there for 20-30 years) is probably an MD by then. i don't know any MDs who would quit to go to pwm, esp since MDs hours are not that bad - most are out by 7. its not like partners at a lawfirm. i do know a few bankers who have gone on to do pwm (sucessfully) but they did this after 3-4 years in banking, not after retiring form it. there are also plenty of young guys (thinking 30s) in the field so its certainly not something people do when they retire.

i don't really see how you would get into this after your JD. there are exams that must be taken, that are not that easy.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:22 pm

ruski wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So i asked someone who works in the finance industry and the person tells me PWM is typically for IBankers who are retiring, who already has an established client base...(so basically not for young people).. any truth to this? And is it smart to go straight into this after getting my JD/passing the bar??

I'm not the OP.
i dont see how working as a banker for 30 odd years leads to a position in pwm. the work they do is very different. also some who is in the position to be retiring from banking (meaning he's worked there for 20-30 years) is probably an MD by then. i don't know any MDs who would quit to go to pwm, esp since MDs hours are not that bad - most are out by 7. its not like partners at a lawfirm. i do know a few bankers who have gone on to do pwm (sucessfully) but they did this after 3-4 years in banking, not after retiring form it. there are also plenty of young guys (thinking 30s) in the field so its certainly not something people do when they retire.

i don't really see how you would get into this after your JD. there are exams that must be taken, that are not that easy.
its the same reason you see ex-NFL, MLB, etc. players taking jobs in PWM--its a business of contacts, not of business/financial acumen. investment banking (if thats what we are generically using the term banker to refer to) does not lead to a position in PWM, it just works nicely: you still receive benefits/paycheck, probably have enough friends/contacts who will open an account with you for shits and giggles, work from home a lot (even the days you go into the office you are probably only there for a few hours), and most importantly, you get to manage your own money/trade your personal account. its similar to seeing a mid-level manager at a fortune 500 company picking up a job in retail or as bartender when they get older--they just want something to do, which will not completely take over their lives

jd, or not, these firms hire hundreds and hundreds every year--its just the nature of the beast in this industry, given the drop-out rate, and the little capital the company puts up in hiring you

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:12 pm

is a Trust Administrator the same thing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:12 pm

is a Trust Administrator the same thing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:13 pm

repeat post.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”