turning down an offer without closing doors Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

turning down an offer without closing doors

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:44 pm

any advice on how to turn down an offer at a place where I would def want to work in the future? I got a position with a judge, and so obviously I have to take it. I was hoping to work with this judge and so it works out well, but the other place is pretty cool too and I wouldn't want to forever close doors for the future. How can I explain the situation so that if there is a next time, they dont immediately toss my resume?

Reprisal

Bronze

Re: turning down an offer without closing doors

Post by Reprisal » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:24 pm

"I've been invited to clerk by a Judge I respect and admire in my area. I am still very interested in the work and people of your firm and hope that you will consider me for a position following my clerkship."

Anyone worth a shit knows that you can't turn down a Judicial clerkship and almost all firms view that gig as a positive. Stay in touch with the firm you liked, meet with their attorneys once or twice and I think you'll come out ok.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”