SA at 3 firms before graduation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA at 3 firms before graduation

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Okay so I'm very fortunate that I got 1L SA position last summer. And this upcoming summer I'll be splitting between two other firms. I really don't know which one I want after graduation, so I was wondering how soon after 2L summer do firms expect you to commit? I personally would like to keep all 3 potential offers open until I find out whether I get the type of clerkship I want following graduation. Then depending on whether or not I get the clerkship it would effect which firm I would want to begin with.

Thanks

Grizz

Diamond

Re: SA at 3 firms before graduation

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:48 pm

I think there's a NALP rule on point, but your firms may not follow NALP, so ask them if you get the offers how long they want.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:57 pm

NALP wrote:Employers offering full-time positions to commence following graduation to candidates previously employed by them should leave those offers open until at least November 1 of the candidate’s final year of law school. Candidates should reaffirm these offers within thirty days from the date of the offer letter. Employers may retract any offer that is not reaffirmed within the 30 day period.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay so I'm very fortunate that I got 1L SA position last summer. And this upcoming summer I'll be splitting between two other firms. I really don't know which one I want after graduation, so I was wondering how soon after 2L summer do firms expect you to commit? I personally would like to keep all 3 potential offers open until I find out whether I get the type of clerkship I want following graduation. Then depending on whether or not I get the clerkship it would effect which firm I would want to begin with.

Thanks
Thats quite a position to be in, congrats! mind sharing school range and numbers (I am curious what one needs for 1L SAs these days)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:11 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Okay so I'm very fortunate that I got 1L SA position last summer. And this upcoming summer I'll be splitting between two other firms. I really don't know which one I want after graduation, so I was wondering how soon after 2L summer do firms expect you to commit? I personally would like to keep all 3 potential offers open until I find out whether I get the type of clerkship I want following graduation. Then depending on whether or not I get the clerkship it would effect which firm I would want to begin with.

Thanks
Thats quite a position to be in, congrats! mind sharing school range and numbers (I am curious what one needs for 1L SAs these days)
top 5 school....top 10% in the class

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:11 pm

D-hops wrote:
NALP wrote:Employers offering full-time positions to commence following graduation to candidates previously employed by them should leave those offers open until at least November 1 of the candidate’s final year of law school. Candidates should reaffirm these offers within thirty days from the date of the offer letter. Employers may retract any offer that is not reaffirmed within the 30 day period.
OP here thanks

booasa

New

Post by booasa » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks
That almost certainly means Chicago

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:38 pm

booasa wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks
That almost certainly means Chicago
why? there are 4 other schools in the top 5

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
If you were HYS, you'd say HYS. Sort of like when I say T6, you (almost) know I'm at NYU. I'm guessing he has another reason for discounting Columbia.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:21 am

mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If you were HYS, you'd say HYS. Sort of like when I say T6, you (almost) know I'm at NYU. I'm guessing he has another reason for discounting Columbia.
If he were Yale, he wouldn't even say HS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I guess I'm just not up on the TLS lingo but I usually just rank stuff in 5's or 10's. Don't get the whole T6 stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:43 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nah, I'm at H, and if I ever end up posting here to ask, I'd just say T6. While it is in the rung of HYS, I feel like the employment situation can be different depending on what you're talking about. I think Stanford to San Francisco, for example, is different than from Harvard. H also doesn't have the small size and therefore general value of being rare that Yale has.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I guess I'm just not up on the TLS lingo but I usually just rank stuff in 5's or 10's. Don't get the whole T6 stuff.
While T6 is not exactly a perfect distinction, randomly picking a number like 5 or 10 is 100% arbitrary. You could not possible pick a top ten list of law schools in any meaningful way. Top 5 is nearly as arbitrary, but at least people will generally understand that you mean to snub NYU.

Do you talk about the 'big 5' accounting firms? Did they make an oopsies and forget two countries when they formed a club of the G8 economies?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nah, I'm at H, and if I ever end up posting here to ask, I'd just say T6. While it is in the rung of HYS, I feel like the employment situation can be different depending on what you're talking about. I think Stanford to San Francisco, for example, is different than from Harvard. H also doesn't have the small size and therefore general value of being rare that Yale has.
More Importantly, What do you Harvard students think of John Cochran and his survivor antics?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”