Axiom Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
funstuff

New

Axiom

Post by funstuff » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Anyone know anything about Axiom? Looks very different from the standard biglaw.

http://www.axiomlaw.com/index.php/overview
http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/com ... nyId=51884

ruski

Bronze

Re: Axiom

Post by ruski » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:22 pm

i've heard/read a lot about them. they arent a law firm and aren't licensed to practice law. they seem to be a cross between a giant temp agency and an IT management firm.

axiom usually places their lawyers on site at a client's premises (succumbant) for a short amount of time (less than a year) for a certain project. so once the project is over axiom takes their lawyers back and then places them on-site at another company, etc. many company's use axiom to cover for in-house attorneys who leave on maternity leave. this is why i say they function as a giant temp agency. the lawyers they place only get paid when they work though - so it's like contract work. for experienced lawyers they pay in the low six figures (from a reputable source) - up to 250-300k, but this for their best lawyers. but the catch is if they only staff you for 6 months out of the year, then you are only paid for those 6 months. i understand they also have some lawyers who work from home. so they pretty much just help in-house departments staff their needs for short term projects.

they also do a lot of contract/business flow management. i didn't really understand what this is. it's very technical though and is more related to IT/operations type of work.

Anonymous User

Re: Axiom

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:10 am

Axiom tries to serve as temporary in-house counsel for large companies and de-facto in-house counsel for smaller companies. I think they aim more at the latter than the former because many small companies cannot afford a full-time in-house counsel.

I think it's an okay gig after you've worked at a law firm for 4-5 years as a transactional lawyer. Their website makes it sound like a lot of the lawyers didn't want the stress/hours of biglaw life and so they went to Axiom.

Unfortunately, I don't think they hire recent grads because they don't provide any of the on-the-job training that you'll typically get from a large law firm.

There are a few other places that try to provide similar services (e.g. FLEX by Fenwick)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”