How to follow up to this email Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to follow up to this email

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Hey all,

So I was emailed this hiring partner after getting introduced to him by a close friend. He told me they have a summer vacation scheme that pays 500/week and that its akin to an internship. (this is an international office). I responded to him that I was very interested and that I'd like to learn more about it. As a reply, he emailed me back with this.

"We will contact you in the event it makes sense to offer a vacation scheme internship."

What does that mean? I replied to that email first by saying thank you and that I look forward to hearing from you soon. It appears that he cc'd our email exchange to someone (probably HR). How should I follow up?

I just dont want to mess this up. I'm a 2L and this is probably one of my last chances at biglaw for next summer.

Thanks.

P.S. I especially dont want to mess this up because I'm under-qualified for this firm.

Anonymous User

Re: How to follow up to this email

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all,

So I was emailed this hiring partner after getting introduced to him by a close friend. He told me they have a summer vacation scheme that pays 500/week and that its akin to an internship. (this is an international office). I responded to him that I was very interested and that I'd like to learn more about it. As a reply, he emailed me back with this.

"We will contact you in the event it makes sense to offer a vacation scheme internship."

What does that mean? I replied to that email first by saying thank you and that I look forward to hearing from you soon. It appears that he cc'd our email exchange to someone (probably HR). How should I follow up?

I just dont want to mess this up. I'm a 2L and this is probably one of my last chances at biglaw for next summer.

Thanks.

P.S. I especially dont want to mess this up because I'm under-qualified for this firm.
I've applied to nearly every British firm and a number rejected me using that exact form. This means you're in the pile of people they will look through and will only be in touch if they want to interview you. Sorry, but there isn't anything you can do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've applied to nearly every British firm and a number rejected me using that exact form. This means you're in the pile of people they will look through and will only be in touch if they want to interview you. Sorry, but there isn't anything you can do.
Yeah. I was afraid that was the case. So do I just wait it out lol. Btw, this isn't their UK office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've applied to nearly every British firm and a number rejected me using that exact form. This means you're in the pile of people they will look through and will only be in touch if they want to interview you. Sorry, but there isn't anything you can do.
Yeah. I was afraid that was the case. So do I just wait it out lol. Btw, this isn't their UK office.
Yes, you'll never hear from them again so start hoofing it for something else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, you'll never hear from them again so start hoofing it for something else.
Not even worth following up saying I'm still interested? Maybe I was a fool to rely on my friend knowing the guy. ugh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:45 pm

This is why when someone introduces you to a contact, you don't let the first words out of your mouth be, "can I have a job?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:49 pm

Renzo wrote:This is why when someone introduces you to a contact, you don't let the first words out of your mouth be, "can I have a job?"
When I go to informational interviews or networking presentations, I make sure to bring a smaller pad of paper and no portfolio. Probably overkill, but at least a good visual signal that I am not packing resumes. However, in the beginning I did try it OP's way and failed miserably (only got yelled at once), so I learned from practice.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Renzo wrote:This is why when someone introduces you to a contact, you don't let the first words out of your mouth be, "can I have a job?"
LOL I tried to approach it like I was asking for advice but unfortunately he ignored everything I said in the email and responded with the summer vacation thing. Ugh.FML.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”