Subletting in the summer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
c3pO4

Silver

Subletting in the summer

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:45 pm

What have people done who have dogs? Seems like 90% of sublets are no-pets.

kaiser

Gold

Re: Subletting in the summer

Post by kaiser » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Sorry, Old Yeller

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm planning on having someone watch my dog next summer. I lived at home first summer. I can't imagine any allowing dogs...

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:52 pm

blowhard wrote:I'm planning on having someone watch my dog next summer. I lived at home first summer. I can't imagine any allowing dogs...
This is not an option. There's nobody I would trust to do this. Also, don't think my dog (read: I) could handle it. There have been *some* sublets that say pets OK. Shouldn't there also be month to month non-sublet places that I can rent out for 3 months in the summer? With biglaw salary and no loan payments yet, would be willing to pay a substantial pet deposit.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:55 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
blowhard wrote:I'm planning on having someone watch my dog next summer. I lived at home first summer. I can't imagine any allowing dogs...
This is not an option. There's nobody I would trust to do this. Also, don't think my dog (read: I) could handle it. There have been *some* sublets that seem pet friendly. Shouldn't there also be month to month non-sublet places that I can rent out for 3 months in the summer? With biglaw salary and no loan payments yet, would be willing to pay a substantial pet deposit.
Good luck. I rent a house I own in DE, and while I'm a dog person and allows my tenants to have dogs, I never would allow them on a short-term lease. The risks are too great and the deposit is usually capped by statute. You also cannot charge the deposit for many of the things a dog would cause that I'd need to fix. (E.g. holes in yard, any paint/carpet that could be wear/tear, such as pull in berber carpet) not to mention things like urine where you cannot charge enough to recarpet and once marked every other dog will want to go there.

I make this up on long-term leases through monthly pet rent and a portion of the rent I set aside for such things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:04 pm

If you're looking in NYC, you might have better luck in Brooklyn or Queens (or Jersey) than in Manhattan.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:07 pm

blowhard wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
This is not an option. There's nobody I would trust to do this. Also, don't think my dog (read: I) could handle it. There have been *some* sublets that seem pet friendly. Shouldn't there also be month to month non-sublet places that I can rent out for 3 months in the summer? With biglaw salary and no loan payments yet, would be willing to pay a substantial pet deposit.
Good luck. I rent a house I own in DE, and while I'm a dog person and allows my tenants to have dogs, I never would allow them on a short-term lease. The risks are too great and the deposit is usually capped by statute. You also cannot charge the deposit for many of the things a dog would cause that I'd need to fix. (E.g. holes in yard, any paint/carpet that could be wear/tear, such as pull in berber carpet) not to mention things like urine where you cannot charge enough to recarpet and once marked every other dog will want to go there.

I make this up on long-term leases through monthly pet rent and a portion of the rent I set aside for such things.
Sucks, but thanks for the honesty. Would you ever make an exception for somebody if you met their dog and it was a sweetheart? Just wondering how to approach subletters who may not want pets but might be open to making an exception.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:09 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:

Sucks, but thanks for the honesty. Would you ever make an exception for somebody if you met their dog and it was a sweetheart? Just wondering how to approach subletters who may not want pets but might be open to making an exception.
Nope. Business is business. I have friends with fabulous dogs that tear shit up when it thunders, etc. I love dogs but you cannot always predict what they'll do. Also, very few if any subletters will have the discretion to allow a dog. You'd need to talk to them AND their landlord. Even if the tenant has a dog, almost all (if not all) leases will restrict it to the approved dog only.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:12 pm

It's not impossible. I subletted a NYC apartment with two dogs and will be subletting my bk apartment this summer, allowing dogs. I have small dogs, though, which is easier.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jess

Post by jess » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:29 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Awesome, thanks. I'm working in Palo Alto so I'm hoping plenty of Stanford kids will be gone for the summer... Between sublet.com, craigslist, and airbnb's new sublet feature, hopefully I'll find something. I'm already seeing sublet places with pets allowed--hopefully during the height of rental season there will be more.

I want a nice place too, so I can enjoy the summer, which I know will be tough with a medium size dog in tow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:47 pm

Also look for sort of business-run sublets (there are a lot of these in DC, but I can't think of any of their names off the top of my heads; some advertise on sublet.com but can be contacted for free via their websites). These were basically the only places I saw that would allow dogs (and it was not all of their units but some). I had to leave my dog with family this summer and it sucked (even though she had a ball with my parents' dogs), but this far in advance you should be able to figure something out.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:55 pm

What about cats? Are cats considered better or worse than dogs?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

clslaw13

New

Post by clslaw13 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Is anyone still looking for place to sublet in NYC? I am on CLS campus and would like to sublet my place from mid-May to end-of August since I won't be in the city. Please PM for details. Thanks.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:57 pm

clslaw13 wrote:Is anyone still looking for place to sublet in NYC? I am on CLS campus and would like to sublet my place from mid-May to end-of August since I won't be in the city. Please PM for details. Thanks.
This thread was originally about dogs. You take em?

okinawa

Bronze

Post by okinawa » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:03 am

Last edited by okinawa on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:10 am

quadsixm wrote:What about cats? Are cats considered better or worse than dogs?
Anecdotally, I've seen a lot of Manhattan real estate specifically allow cats and prohibit dogs. I don't remember seeing the reverse.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”