MVP to NYC V5: taking Q's Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kaiser

Gold

Re: MVP to NYC V5: taking Q's

Post by kaiser » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:42 pm

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How hard to get V50 from a T25-30?

Will top 5 percent stand a chance?

you need to transfer...take it from me...top 25 transfer to CCN - v5 employment
And how does your brag address his question? Of course being top 5% at a T25-30 would get him some V50 firm. He would have to do something incredibly wrong to not get it.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:44 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
Bronte wrote:
IAFG wrote:Okay then. Any chance 2Ls wanna knock this shit off for like 9 months? Or even just until 1st semester grades come out for 1Ls?
Can we please talk about something interesting though instead? The on topic forums are so boring right now for law students. The "active topics" are like a wall of "169/3.72 Retake?"
I agree. If not for OP and others like him, this forum [and transfers] would be dead for like nine months.
Nah, November 1 is coming soon. 1Ls will start going nuts.

Should be fun.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:47 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Bronte wrote:
IAFG wrote:Okay then. Any chance 2Ls wanna knock this shit off for like 9 months? Or even just until 1st semester grades come out for 1Ls?
Can we please talk about something interesting though instead? The on topic forums are so boring right now for law students. The "active topics" are like a wall of "169/3.72 Retake?"
I agree. If not for OP and others like him, this forum [and transfers] would be dead for like nine months.
Nah, November 1 is coming soon. 1Ls will start going nuts.

Should be fun.
Lol yeah, when everyone thinks they will be among the special snowflakes who get 1L summer SA's, and forgoing opportunities to apply to more realistic positions.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:03 pm

I was advising a group of 1Ls the other day, and a few were saying they planned to get either a firm job or appellate clerkship this summer.

This, combined with a few other incidents, makes me think the Class of 2014 is not nearly pessimistic enough.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:06 pm

existenz wrote:I was advising a group of 1Ls the other day, and a few were saying they planned to get either a firm job or appellate clerkship this summer.

This, combined with a few other incidents, makes me think the Class of 2014 is not nearly pessimistic enough.
LOL. Did you correct them?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:09 pm

blowhard wrote:
existenz wrote:I was advising a group of 1Ls the other day, and a few were saying they planned to get either a firm job or appellate clerkship this summer.

People don't learn when you crush their dreams. They learn only when reality crushes their dreams for you.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:11 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
blowhard wrote:

People don't learn when you crush their dreams. They learn only when reality crushes their dreams for you.
Look, I know BP is slowing down these days, but no need to pad the membership.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:29 am

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:24 am

OP ---- any thoughts on what you think people with your same grades might have done wrong, that limited their success? It'd be nice to hear about things to avoid in addition to things you want to make sure you do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:33 am

OP, what kind of work experience did you have?

And are you talking about work experience prior to law school or 1L internships?

Also do you think students with no WE prior to law school is at a disadvantage to those who do?

Kirk

New

Post by Kirk » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am

MVP with no WE or connections. Chances for NYC SA? And for NYC, would it matter which MVP school?

If chances are low, any advice for a summer plan B?

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:36 am

Kirk - are you a 0L, 1L, 2L? If you're a 1L and at MVP, common knowledge seems to be that you need to be in the top quarter of the class to open all of the doors, but top 1/3 will open up a lot of doors. So since it's about to be November, I'd just focus 100% on getting your outlines and gameplan ready for finals.

If you're a 0L trying to decide, Penn seems to do a bit better in NYC than the other two (lots of self-selection of M going to Chicago, V going to DC), but I'm not sure HOW much better a student at Penn in top 1/3 will do than MV in top 1/3.

No work experience is okay but you can't do anything about it now if you're already in law school. If you're a 0L and have a year before starting, I'd try to find an interesting job or volunteer opp's that develop good interpersonal and communication skills. You can use these as talking points for OCI. I've heard different things about how WE helps interviews/OCI - but I felt like it really helped me. Regarding connections, you'll want a good answer as to why you want to be in NYC. TLS kept telling me that NYC firms don't care about ties, but I was grilled about it during virtually every interview. Maybe that's because I was from west coast. Maybe students in east coast can say "I always wanted to work in NYC," but I don't know how they look at that. I just know that for me, they were very suspicious this desert & beach guy wanted to come to NYC.

Backup summer plans for 2L? Probably go back to the home you're from or in a market that you have strong ties to.

Kirk

New

Post by Kirk » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 pm

Thank you for your input. I am a 1L spending my days preparing for exams.

I have a question about the Summer Judge Clerkships I keep reading about. Are these positions salaried? My school’s OCS opens tomorrow, so for the moment I am in the dark. As a side note, I am recently engaged and my wife-to-be has a terrific job (not legal), hopefully this will help in establishing a real market connection. Thanks again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:16 pm

Kirk wrote:I have a question about the Summer Judge Clerkships I keep reading about. Are these positions salaried?
No.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Kirk wrote:Thank you for your input. I am a 1L spending my days preparing for exams.

I have a question about the Summer Judge Clerkships I keep reading about. Are these positions salaried? My school’s OCS opens tomorrow, so for the moment I am in the dark. As a side note, I am recently engaged and my wife-to-be has a terrific job (not legal), hopefully this will help in establishing a real market connection. Thanks again.
Nope, not salaried. But they can certainly help establish connection to a market, since you get to know judges, attorneys, etc. from the area. And can be a wonderful overall experience depending on the judge you get. If you get one who has a lot of contact with you, and gives you substantive assignments, it can be invaluable. So definitely do your research when you interview and get a feel for how much interaction you will actually have with the judge. I did federal district court internship last summer and loved it. My judge involved me in everything since I was the only intern, and interviewers were impressed with the stories I had from the summer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”