ITT We Discuss In-House Internships Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mediadude88

New

ITT We Discuss In-House Internships

Post by mediadude88 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Anyone else considering an in-house offer? 2L here looking at an in-house summer offer at a privately held corporation in the market my school feeds into.

Anyone have thoughts to share on in-house internships for second summer? Are they worthwhile experience? Good source of networking opportunities? Any chance of getting an entry-level offer? Is it possible to get hired into the corp in a nonlegal capacity if you impress them and can't find a legal job after graduation? Look good to small-law/midlaw or the odd big firm that interviews 3Ls?

Struck out at OCI here so this is tempting and it pays albeit not fantastically.

Anonymous User

Re: ITT We Discuss In-House Internships

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:48 pm

mediadude88 wrote:Anyone else considering an in-house offer? 2L here looking at an in-house summer offer at a privately held corporation in the market my school feeds into.

Anyone have thoughts to share on in-house internships for second summer? Are they worthwhile experience? Good source of networking opportunities? Any chance of getting an entry-level offer? Is it possible to get hired into the corp in a nonlegal capacity if you impress them and can't find a legal job after graduation? Look good to small-law/midlaw or the odd big firm that interviews 3Ls?

Struck out at OCI here so this is tempting and it pays albeit not fantastically.
I spent my 1L summer in-house so I can share what I've learned. A lot of companies do not recruit directly out of law school, they like to have the firms train you first. I found my experience to be worthwhile but that is in the context of my 1L summer in which I was getting legal experience to get a firm job shortly thereafter, I do not know if it's worthwhile if you actually start you career there and want to go to a firm later. It seemed to be more of a destination instead of a jumping off point, at least in my experience. I met some attorneys who switched to the business side. One got an MBA (paid for by the company) before doing so, another just went business IIRC.

Anonymous User

Re: ITT We Discuss In-House Internships

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:42 pm

I did an in-house internship with a large corp my 2L summer. There are lots of pros and cons:

Pros:
- You do get to meet lots of people from other departments who come to you for advice, which means you can make the connections and impress them when you have to, dunno how much that will help you in getting a referral in their fields though;
- Most senior councils in big corps are reputable lawyers in town (depending on where you work too) so the connections you get through them will be incredible. However, how that helps you land a firm job really depend on many other factors.
- Nice hours. Nice people. Very interesting legal work and a mix of fun stuffs.

Cons:
- I am still looking for a full-time job after graduation. I guess thats the No. 1 con.

Hope that helps.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”