Does being good-looking help you get offers? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does being good-looking help you get offers?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Thoughts?

There's a girl at my T2 who got an offer really early on from a great firm without LR or great grades. People suspect she got the offer because she's good looking. Could this actually be the case?

Anonymous User

Re: Does being good-looking help you get offers?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:14 pm

I guess I'll make the obligatory "pics or it didn't happen" post

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MayomiSanchez

New

Post by MayomiSanchez » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:24 pm

Obviously looks, personality, charisma and every other factor that makes a person desirable to be around count at least for something.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:24 pm

Yes

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:30 pm

Yeah, sure it helps. But it is pretty low on the list of factors. Also, there is really nothing (or very little short of going under the knife) to do to change how you look, so probably best to worry about those things one has control over.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:33 pm

luthersloan wrote:Yeah, sure it helps. But it is pretty low on the list of factors. Also, there is really nothing (or very little short of going under the knife) to do to change how you look, so probably best to worry about those things one has control over.
Did you not read the S'ing D post? There are def things people have control over!!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:34 pm

Of course. It's no secret that, on average, attractive people are more successful over the course of their lives.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:35 pm

No way. Even people who aren't "good-looking" can clean up and look professional. Hygiene, clean cut and clothes that fit are all that matter. I'm no quarterback and I still got an offer.

Sincerely,

Nerdy, 5-11, slightly chubby jewish kid.
Last edited by c3pO4 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:36 pm

I don't know; if you're too attractive as a male, I'm pretty sure that just makes you future competition for bagging the SA class of 2020.

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:00 pm

c3pO4 wrote:No way. Even people who aren't "good-looking" can clean up and look professional. Hygiene, clean cut and clothes that fit are all that matter. I'm no quarterback and I still got an offer.

Sincerely,

ITT people misunderstand what "help" means, and use counterexamples like they disprove a single factor out of what are undisputedly many.

AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:07 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Yes
I certainly hope so. 8)

Pato_09

Bronze

Post by Pato_09 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:26 pm

Usually: Good Looking People = Confident = Personable = Good Interview Skills = Helps Getting Offers

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:32 pm

npe wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:No way. Even people who aren't "good-looking" can clean up and look professional. Hygiene, clean cut and clothes that fit are all that matter. I'm no quarterback and I still got an offer.

Sincerely,

ITT people misunderstand what "help" means, and use counterexamples like they disprove a single factor out of what are undisputedly many.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:38 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
npe wrote:

Sincerely,

The question was, could she have gotten the offer "because" of her good looks. My answer is no, there must be other reasons. I support it by both a general appeal (perhaps falsely placed) in professionalism of interviewers and in my own, personal, experience. However, if poking holes in people's logic on an online message board is what gets you off, by all means have at it! Also--the quote as +1, like the +1, is obnoxious.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:21 am

mrloblaw wrote:I don't know; if you're too attractive as a male, I'm pretty sure that just makes you future competition for bagging the SA class of 2020.
This thread should end with this quote, that's all I'm saying. Easily a top post of the year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:27 am

Best thing ever: being a super attractive (and "straight-acting") gay guy. Straight guys don't consider you competition and straight women/girls LOVE YOU.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:30 am

I think it helps you get the job, but, it doesn't help you get the interview. So, i'm not actually sure how people like this (good looking with bad grades/bad resume) get the interview in the first place. But, i do know a few kids at law school who got better positions than they should, and I'm assuming its because they are pretty/handsome.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:38 am

It is probably a very good "soft."

Kimberly

Bronze

Post by Kimberly » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:41 am

Between 2 people with equal qualifications, the better looking one has an advantage. But, as previously stated, anyone can clean up. Nice clothes, a new hair cut, groomed facial hair, and clean/white teeth go a long way in at least lending the appearance of confidence and self worth. Having confidence in yourself (even if it is just a false appearance of such) is a major boost in others having confidence in you. She didn't get the job BECAUSE she was good looking but it certainly didn't make the decision to hire her and more difficult! I think people are also more willing to give a good looker the benefit of the doubt.

By the way- Nice for you guys to soothe your sore ego (even if you are just joking) by suggesting that she might be offering physical pleasures, but it is very unlikely. She is more likely just qualified AND good looking- making her the full package.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:38 am

As a girl, depends who you are interviewing with

If interviewing with a male, of course it helps.

If interviewing with a female, they don't want to be jealous of you, so you have to have to impress them in other ways (come through as super nice and willing to work your tail off)

Thats why moderate makeup, hair pulled back, conservative jewelry, glasses if you have them, etc goes a long way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:44 am

c3pO4 wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:
npe wrote:

Sincerely,

The question was, could she have gotten the offer "because" of her good looks. My answer is no, there must be other reasons. I support it by both a general appeal (perhaps falsely placed) in professionalism of interviewers and in my own, personal, experience. However, if poking holes in people's logic on an online message board is what gets you off, by all means have at it! Also--the quote as +1, like the +1, is obnoxious.
someone is mad

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:50 am

5ky wrote:Of course. It's no secret that, on average, attractive people are more successful over the course of their lives.
This is very much causation vs. correlation.

I had a $100 in my bank account like 3 years ago.

I've multiplied that by quite a ton since then, and have more time to focus on myself and spend on food.

By eating healthier, dressing better and having much more time to hit the gym or run, while looks are opinionated, I'm def. much better looking than I was.

I think it's a cycle, but that success begets attractiveness just as much as attractiveness begets success.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:53 am

People who are good looking are also more likely to be confident in social situations so will interview better.

I'm a 0L, but I met a stunning TTT, maybe the hottest law student I've seen from my small sample size on a bus. She didn't have an offer yet despite being very charming and friendly.

msuz

Bronze

Post by msuz » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:08 pm

If all other things are equal:
Do you hire the top 10% gpa Yale grad or the top 10% gpa Georgetown grad?
Yale.

Do you hire the top 25% Gtown blonde bombshell or the top 25% gtown with a corn tooth and cross-eyes?
blonde.

Do you hire the top 10% Yale grad with a corn tooth and cross-eyes or the top 10% blonde bombshell Georgetown grad?
Depends on whos hiring. But looks do matter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”