Does being good-looking help you get offers? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bjsesq

Diamond

Re: Does being good-looking help you get offers?

Post by bjsesq » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:10 pm

I don't know. i will say, being ugly didn't hurt me too much.

Sorry, i just wanted to come on this thread and talk about being ugly.

Kimberly

Bronze

Post by Kimberly » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:38 pm

bjsesq wrote:I don't know. i will say, being ugly didn't hurt me too much.

Sorry, i just wanted to come on this thread and talk about being ugly.

So either; (A) You are more qualified than anyone else who applied for the same job (doubtful) OR (b) No body else who applied for the job was attractive either OR (c) you are actually a stunning, George Clooney type and don't want to admit it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Eh, I think being a good-looking, young-looking girl can almost be a detriment. Harder to get people to take you seriously.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:57 pm

Kimberly wrote:(c) you are actually a stunning, George Clooney type and don't want to admit it.
Find a poster named Holly Go Lightly. PM her this in reference to me. Collect lulz.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:10 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Kimberly wrote:(c) you are actually a stunning, George Clooney type and don't want to admit it.
Find a poster named Holly Go Lightly. PM her this in reference to me. Collect lulz.
tbf I bet gay men love your sexy dance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:31 am

bjsesq wrote:
Found this.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:37 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Found this.
Educate the woman.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:41 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Does being good-looking help you get offers?
Yes
+1

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:22 am

The anecdotes I can point to seem to suggest that being a good looking person (especially a female) is a decent boost. But obviously it isn't something they are crossing off the checklist or actively seeking out, it is probably just a subconscious thing in the eyes of the (usually male) hiring person.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:11 am

bjsesq wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Found this.
Educate the woman.
Kimberly, how do you feel about this:

Image?

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:49 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Clearly.

snailio

Bronze

Post by snailio » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:45 pm

I had a friend who was going to be interviewed by a female partner who had a reputation as a cougar, I told him put a potato down your pants before the interview, later he comes back all dejected.

I said what happened?...he said she was disgusted and then he pulls the potato out of his pants, I saw the problem right away and told him you are supposed to put the potato down the front of your pants.

Needless to say he didn't get the offer.

commoner

New

Post by commoner » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:56 pm

I say that she had some pull with the firm. It could be that she is a pretty AND rich girl and daddy made a few calls.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:It is probably a very good "soft."
I know I first saw this joke on this site, but I can't remember where and it bears repeating. More likely that it's two "good softs."

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:05 am

And haven't any of you ever stopped to wonder if there's more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:30 am

Kabuo wrote:And haven't any of you ever stopped to wonder if there's more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:58 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Kabuo wrote:And haven't any of you ever stopped to wonder if there's more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
The answer is no, whereas the answer to OP's question is yes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts?

There's a girl at my T2 who got an offer really early on from a great firm without LR or great grades. People suspect she got the offer because she's good looking. Could this actually be the case?
Looks matter...a lot! If you're hot - and I can tell you from DIRECT experience - you tend to get benefits mere mortals don't. It's not fair, but that's the world we live in. Jobs...free meals...let out of traffic tickets...better grades, etc.

Speaking of grades, hers might not even be as high as they are had it not been for her looks - if she's as hot as you make her seem. That's a scary thought, right?
snailio wrote:I had a friend who was going to be interviewed by a female partner who had a reputation as a cougar, I told him put a potato down your pants before the interview, later he comes back all dejected.

I said what happened?...he said she was disgusted and then he pulls the potato out of his pants, I saw the problem right away and told him you are supposed to put the potato down the front of your pants.

Needless to say he didn't get the offer.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anonymous User wrote:Eh, I think being a good-looking, young-looking girl can almost be a detriment. Harder to get people to take you seriously.
The partners don't want to take her "seriously", they just want to take her to bed.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:21 am

c3pO4 wrote:No way. Even people who aren't "good-looking" can clean up and look professional. Hygiene, clean cut and clothes that fit are all that matter. I'm no quarterback and I still got an offer.

Sincerely,

Nerdy, 5-11, slightly chubby jewish kid.

Go back and study your conditional reasoning...sufficient v. necessary...no one said being good-looking was necessary for landing jobs, only that it was sufficient.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Best thing ever: being a super attractive (and "straight-acting") gay guy. Straight guys don't consider you competition and straight women/girls LOVE YOU.
Can at least somewhat confirm. Vastly outperformed numbers and qualifications as an ostensibly "straight-acting," good looking gay guy. This phenomenon does mean you wildly overperform when interviewing with women, though, so if you have any power to schedule who you're interviewing with, and you're a gay dude, always play it safe and pick the female interviewer. If the guy interviewer has LGBT Bar Association or other gay stuff on his firm bio, it's a closer call, but I definitely did better interviewing with straight, gay-friendly women than I did with other gay guys during this interview season. It wasn't even close.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Best thing ever: being a super attractive (and "straight-acting") gay guy. Straight guys don't consider you competition and straight women/girls LOVE YOU.
Can at least somewhat confirm. Vastly outperformed numbers and qualifications as an ostensibly "straight-acting," good looking gay guy. This phenomenon does mean you wildly overperform when interviewing with women, though, so if you have any power to schedule who you're interviewing with, and you're a gay dude, always play it safe and pick the female interviewer. If the guy interviewer has LGBT Bar Association or other gay stuff on his firm bio, it's a closer call, but I definitely did better interviewing with straight, gay-friendly women than I did with other gay guys during this interview season. It wasn't even close.
That's really interesting. The success with the straight, gay-friendly women versus straight males I could maybe see but why do you think it would bring you more success than interviewing with gay guys? Hmmm.

I'm a gay female but most people would assume I am straight by looking at me. But I'm really open about it so I'm curious as to how this will impact things. Maybe females would act more awkward around me or maybe not because I wouldn't be perceived as a "threat" as someone mentioned above. I find that a lot of women who get really territorial and crazy act much nicer toward me when they find out that I am gay. I've yet to find a straight guy who took issue with it, haha.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:31 am

Looks help in everything in life... but it depends largely on the firm. Some firms, either deliberately or cooincidentally, have much more attractive summer classes than others. Its sort of weird.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:58 am

Blindmelon wrote:Looks help in everything in life... but it depends largely on the firm. Some firms, either deliberately or cooincidentally, have much more attractive summer classes than others. Its sort of weird.
Very subtle brag? Everybody I know at your firm is very attractive.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:35 am

KMaine wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Looks help in everything in life... but it depends largely on the firm. Some firms, either deliberately or cooincidentally, have much more attractive summer classes than others. Its sort of weird.
Very subtle brag? Everybody I know at your firm is very attractive.
No one here knows where I work (I hope?). Maybe it just depends more on what the firm focuses on, just stats or everything. Our firms are known for being really selective, but also looking past just transcripts (only way I got an offer at either).

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:24 am

PDaddy wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:No way. Even people who aren't "good-looking" can clean up and look professional. Hygiene, clean cut and clothes that fit are all that matter. I'm no quarterback and I still got an offer.

Sincerely,

Nerdy, 5-11, slightly chubby jewish kid.

Go back and study your conditional reasoning...sufficient v. necessary...no one said being good-looking was necessary for landing jobs, only that it was sufficient.
I don't think anybody said that either. It just helps.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”