A Dumb Question on Identifying Strong NYC Lit Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

A Dumb Question on Identifying Strong NYC Lit Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm trying to land an elusive preclerkship summer. I didn't summer anywhere last summer (transfer, dumb bidding), but ended up in the top of my t14 and got a COA clerkship. Now, I would like to make some money, not necessarily from the firm where I plan to work for the long haul, and so am seeking an NYC SA position as that's probably the only city where I could get hired, due to their extreme hiring needs. (So said TLS, anyway, in a prior thread. The city where I'm clerking is no good.) The geniuses in career services told me to just use NALP and identify NYC firms with lit practices. But NALP is a fucktarded site that says, for example, that Boies Schiller & Flexner, Akin Gump, and Jones Day don't do litigation. So its search results are useless. Is there some quick and accurate way, then, to identify 30-50 or so NYC firms with strong litigation practices? (If you think it's just way, way too late for this, you can advise me of that too.) Career Services, realizing that my getting post-grad placement is a lock now, is no longer disposed to spend any time on me.

mrloblaw

Silver

Re: A Dumb Question on Identifying Strong NYC Lit Firms

Post by mrloblaw » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:59 pm

My guess would be Chambers rankings. Google "chambers rankings" if you're unfamiliar. Make sure you're in the US section, select Practice Area: Lit, and follow the options.
Last edited by mrloblaw on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjw55

New

Post by cjw55 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:18 pm

Umm, firm websites.

Despite all the obligatory pomp and circumstance, there's enough substantive information there to answer your questions. They usually link to any rankings or awards they've received which allows for useful comparison on those sites.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:20 pm

EDITED

Didn't think before I posted.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Traydeuce?
Definitely.

I still don't understand how having a 3.9/9ish GPA at W&L -> GTown didn't get you DC unless you were just laughably dumb and bid WLRK, Cravath, and W&C or something. Even GDC/WH/K&E DC should've been readily doable.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Ironic that a poster who has no reason to be anonymous outed another poster in this thread, and for no reason.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:51 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
Definitely.

I still don't understand how having a 3.9/9ish GPA at W&L -> GTown didn't get you DC unless you were just laughably dumb and bid WLRK, Cravath, and W&C or something. Even GDC/WH/K&E DC should've been readily doable.
ROFLCOPTER, but sorta lame to out like that, broskis.

In response to the brOP's question: you might wanna check out Chambers for your practice area interests. From there, creep the firm websites to gauge whether and to what extent they have a litigation practice in that area. For example, I ran a search in Chambers for NYC and litigation as practice area. The "Band 1" firms are CSM, DPW, PW, STB, Skadden, S&C, and Wachtell. After that, there are three other bands. Certainly, these rankings incorporate a myriad of other factors. But as a rough estimate of great litigation firms, I'd wager a guess that Chambers is a good place to start (plus more specific areas on the left panel, etc.). Again, you can check out websites for more information.

The utility in using NALP is that it can be used to narrow-down NYC firms. For example, all NYC firms in NALP will be on there. Run a search, make a list, and do some homework.

eta: this poast was done real quick on the fly. I'm sure other poasters will provide more detailed information.
Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wahoo1L

New

Post by Wahoo1L » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:05 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
Definitely.

ROFLCOPTER, but sorta lame to out like that, broskis.

In response to the brOP's question: you might wanna check out Chambers for your practice area interests. From there, creep the firm websites to gauge whether and to what extent they have a litigation practice in that area. For example, I ran a search in Chambers for NYC and litigation as practice area. The "Band 1" firms are CSM, DPW, STB, Skadden, S&C, and Wachtell. After that, there are three other bands. Certainly, these rankings incorporate a myriad of other factors. But as a rough estimate of great litigation firms, I'd wager a guess that Chambers is a good place to start (plus more specific areas on the left panel, etc.). Again, you can check out websites for more information.

The utility in using NALP is that it can be used to narrow-down NYC firms. For example, all NYC firms in NALP will be on there. Run a search, make a list, and do some homework.

eta: this poast was done real quick on the fly. I'm sure other poasters will provide more detailed information.
You missed Paul Weiss in Band 1.

PeanutHead

New

Post by PeanutHead » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:51 am

I may be wrong on this, but isn't 3L hiring basically finished, especially for lit?
Regardless, I think you need to sort out how you are going to spin this to a firm. I would hit up some of the lower prestige firms and say that you are interested in working for them for xyz bullshit reason. They may be drawn in by your good grades and clerkship and faint promises of returning to them someday after your clerkship.
Just in my opinion though, don't waste your time bidding on the top firms, but you may have a shot at some random V100 firm that would be willing to shell out 30k for the summer to try and draw you in.

Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”