IP interviews - what are they like? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

IP interviews - what are they like?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Anyone have experience here regarding IP callbacks? Are there technical questions in your specific major, or is it just like all the other callbacks?

Anonymous User

Re: IP interviews - what are they like?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have experience here regarding IP callbacks? Are there technical questions in your specific major, or is it just like all the other callbacks?
It depends, I've had some normal CBs and I've had some with technical questions. For the most part they're normal, but you need to be able to speak in technical language at least a little.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:24 pm

What type of IP position is it for?

Some IP boutiques do ask technical questions for patent prosecution positions. It's rare, but it did happen to me. However, the questions were very basic.

I've never been on a non-IP callback since I'm only interested in patent prosecution, but I've found that I always had to make a case on why I'm interested in patent prosecution (as if there's a presumption that I shouldn't be interested). I also had to discuss why I'm interested in a boutique/small firm over a biglaw firm.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:25 pm

In my experience, they're generally very similar to other callbacks (from talking to non-IP types) though everything will depend on your interviewer as usual. Just be ready to summarize your tech experience if you are asked about it, which you may not be, not in any great detail but definitely in a clear and organized fashion. And do not oversell your skills or outright bullshit, b/c there's a decent chance interviewers will know more about your tech area than you might expect.

farmernate

New

Post by farmernate » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:52 pm

The most frequent question I was asked repeatedly was why I was interested in IP. (I do have EE background w/ WE), and also why litigation as opposed to prosecution. If you have relevant WE, you will need to talk about it to varying degrees depending on the interviewer. I was never explicitly asked any technical engineering questions, but some did ask me if I could read circuit diagrams (a plus for patent litigation), and others asked me to describe some of the projects I worked on (always high level, generalized overviews).

Otherwise the interviews seemed pretty similar when i compared stories with my friends who were going after Corporate lit/transactional work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:26 pm

Only had experience with BigLaw patent litigation, but the interviews were pretty standard. Interviewers almost invariably asked (1) why law school, (2) why IP, and (3) any other practice area interests. A number also asked some moderately substantive questions about my 1L summer position, along the lines of "favorite project" or "most difficult legal issue."

I imagine soft IP (read: (c)/TM) litigation interviews are very similar. No idea what a patent prosecution or IP transactional interview would look like.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:49 pm

This isn't typical of IP interviews, but my friend told me about his screener interview at OCI with an IP Boutique.

Friend sits down
Friend: "How are you do-"
Interviewer: "What is the equation for Bragg's Law?"
Friend: "Well, I bel-"
Interviewer cuts friend off and rattles off equation; starts laughing hysterically
Interviewer: "Beat you!"
Awkward interview continues... 15 minutes later, iPhone alarm on table goes off.
Interviewer: "Okay that means it's your turn to ask me questions."
Friend: "You know, I think I'm good. Thank you!"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”