Best Strategy for Boston Lateraling Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAmNietzche

New

Best Strategy for Boston Lateraling

Post by IAmNietzche » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:51 am

I know that this post is very speculative, but any insight would be very helpful in making my 2L employment decisions.

I am at a Philly T2 and have an offer from a Philly V60-70 and also from a fairly well-known Boston midsize firm.

I hope to practice in Boston, but was shut out mass-mailing Boston BigLaw firms. Would it be easier for me to lateral to a BBL after a few years at the Boston midsize or the Philly BigLaw? The Philly firm, unfortunately, does not have a Boston office.

Also, if I were to take the Philly position and then clerk with a federal judge in Boston, would that open up opportunities for me in Boston? I have pretty strong ties to the area (undergrad, WE, family)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Anonymous User

Re: Best Strategy for Boston Lateraling

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:00 am

It's obviously not very common, but I know someone who went from a top Philly firm to a top Boston firm. This person was a mid-level associate.

One thing you should consider is that if you spend 2-3 years in Philly you'll make contacts that will go wasted or won't be worth as much when you show up in Boston. That cuts in favor of going to boston immediately.

Being a federal clerk in Boston will get you a lot of looks, even if you don't actively seek them out.

Alternatively, you could do your boston firm-> D. Mass. -> larger boston firm

IAmNietzche

New

Post by IAmNietzche » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Alternatively, you could do your boston firm-> D. Mass. -> larger boston firm
Is this a possibility?

Also, it kind of leads into another question I've been considering; if you SA with a firm, get an offer, then decide to clerk and would like to move to a larger firm, do you simply send out applications to the firms? Would the firm you SA'd with have a problem with this?

Do firms actively seek out clerks?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:35 am

IAmNietzche wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Alternatively, you could do your boston firm-> D. Mass. -> larger boston firm
Is this a possibility?

Also, it kind of leads into another question I've been considering; if you SA with a firm, get an offer, then decide to clerk and would like to move to a larger firm, do you simply send out applications to the firms? Would the firm you SA'd with have a problem with this?

Getting a federak clerkship in Mass from a Philly T2 will be almost impossible. For a fed clerkship from BC/BU in D. Mass. you typically need to be > top 5%. You will likely need to be #1 in your class + EIC of LR to get one from your school. If you can pull a clerkship in PA, it will help your chances.
Anonymous User wrote:It's obviously not very common, but I know someone who went from a top Philly firm to a top Boston firm. This person was a mid-level associate.
This happens so rarely, I bet I know who you are talking about (Boston is a small community). What is the fairly well-known Boston midsize? If its a Nutter/Choate I would jump on that in a second. Since you haven't, I'm guessing its more in line with Sullivan & Worcester or Wolf Greenfield? Your lateral opportunities will likely depend on your practice area and the actual mid-size you are looking at.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:28 pm

If you want to live and practice in Boston, go to the Boston firm. What's the dilemma, exactly?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAmNietzche

New

Post by IAmNietzche » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
IAmNietzche wrote:
Is this a possibility?

Getting a federak clerkship in Mass from a Philly T2 will be almost impossible. For a fed clerkship from BC/BU in D. Mass. you typically need to be > top 5%. You will likely need to be #1 in your class + EIC of LR to get one from your school. If you can pull a clerkship in PA, it will help your chances.
Anonymous User wrote:It's obviously not very common, but I know someone who went from a top Philly firm to a top Boston firm. This person was a mid-level associate.
This happens so rarely, I bet I know who you are talking about (Boston is a small community). What is the fairly well-known Boston midsize? If its a Nutter/Choate I would jump on that in a second. Since you haven't, I'm guessing its more in line with Sullivan & Worcester or Wolf Greenfield? Your lateral opportunities will likely depend on your practice area and the actual mid-size you are looking at.
I see, thanks for the help. The firm is Hinckley btw.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:42 pm

RVP11 wrote:If you want to live and practice in Boston, go to the Boston firm. What's the dilemma, exactly?
Because a lot of these midsizes don't give a lot of offers to summers. OP, Hinckley is a good firm - I believe they pay below market, but they are still 100k+ starting. If they give around 100% of offers to summers, I would just go there. The tough decision comes in if they don't normally give full-time offers. According to NALP, of their last recorded summer class of 2, they gave 0 offers. Thats scary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:51 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
RVP11 wrote:If you want to live and practice in Boston, go to the Boston firm. What's the dilemma, exactly?
Because a lot of these midsizes don't give a lot of offers to summers. OP, Hinckley is a good firm - I believe they pay below market, but they are still 100k+ starting. If they give around 100% of offers to summers, I would just go there. The tough decision comes in if they don't normally give full-time offers. According to NALP, of their last recorded summer class of 2, they gave 0 offers. Thats scary.
Where on the NALP site did you get his info?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:56 pm

--LinkRemoved--

# 2010 Summer 2Ls considered for associate offers: 2
# offers made: 0

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:13 pm

Blindmelon wrote:http://www.nalpdirectory.com/dledir_search_results.asp

# 2010 Summer 2Ls considered for associate offers: 2
# offers made: 0

Thanks! A little off topic but where is the best place to find first year associate salaries when not listed on the firm site nor NALP nor lateral link?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”