Reimbursement for expenses from post-offer trip Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Do firms pay for post-offer travel expenses?

They expect to pay for this
75%
Call the firm and ask
6%
They don't expect to pay for this
19%

Total votes: 16

Anonymous User

Reimbursement for expenses from post-offer trip

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:28 am

After I received an offer at a V10 firm in NYC, one of the interviewing attorneys invited me to a dinner to meet other attorneys and some of the 2011 summers. The recruitment coordinator sent an email saying to book my travel through their travel agent (I live in DC).

So I went, had a great time. Stayed with my BF but flew up on their dime. I also saved receipts from the weekend - mostly taxis (to and from airports) plus a few meals, and coffee at the airport. Adds up to just over $200. Can I submit these on the NALP form? My hunch is yes - they invited me to travel at their expense, and offered to pay for hotel, which I didn't need. But the NALP form clearly says interview expenses, while this was post-offer.

Also I accepted their offer, and love the firm. So I kind of don't want to screw this up.

Thoughts?

tlstlstls73

New

Re: Reimbursement for expenses from post-offer trip

Post by tlstlstls73 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:37 am

Ask if you really need the $200. If not, don't bother. $200 will be falling from the sky once you start working, and you don't want to p.o. anybody.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:50 am

I had a similar situation. I emailed and asked, the recruiter said she was happy to reimburse me. Post-offer trips are on the firm.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:01 am

The people that voted for "they don't expect to pay for this" must be 0Ls. Firms, especially V10 ones, will absolutely reimburse you for a post-offer visit. Submit the form without worry.

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:26 am

$200 is like a rounding error. submit form. profit. they will not notice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”