Mayer Brown (New York) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mayer Brown (New York)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm a T14 2L heading to MB's NYC office this summer. Super excited and curious to learn a bit about the experience/firm from those who have been through it. Anyone summer or work with this offer and have any insight or experience to share? It seems like a relatively happy, chill place. Any would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Mayer Brown (New York)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Anybody?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:27 pm

I picked MB Chicago over several higher ranked Chicago firms (according to Vault). I'm T14, LR, etc. and had plenty of options. I know that MB Chicago really won't even look at anyone that isn't LR in these days of smaller classes. MB Chicago is pretty UChicago/Northwestern/Harvard dominated but there are plenty of folks from Illinois, Indiana, etc.

No idea about NYC but for litigation, MB Chicago is pretty solid especially if you want appellate work (MB probably has the best appellate practice in the country, maybe GDC, OMM are up there too but MB really owns this space). They also have a credited government practice that other biglawl firms in Chitown no longer have. I got the sense that MB Chicago and Washington are more preftigious than MB NYC but I can't really substantiate that. MB NYC lost a few partners, I think one started Kasowitz and one recently left for Quinn but its hard to say no to $3m PPP. The calculus is probably a bit different for a junior level though. I get the sense that MB London is calling more of the shots than they used to fwiw. Congrats on your offer and choice, come visit the mothership at some point, the office is pretty.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:23 am

Is the firm considered liberal? Any prestige in NYC? What's the culture like?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is the firm considered liberal? Any prestige in NYC? What's the culture like?

Thanks!
At my CB the partner went all tea party on my ass. No prestige for MB NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I picked MB Chicago over several higher ranked Chicago firms (according to Vault). I'm T14, LR, etc. and had plenty of options. I know that MB Chicago really won't even look at anyone that isn't LR in these days of smaller classes. MB Chicago is pretty UChicago/Northwestern/Harvard dominated but there are plenty of folks from Illinois, Indiana, etc.

No idea about NYC but for litigation, MB Chicago is pretty solid especially if you want appellate work (MB probably has the best appellate practice in the country, maybe GDC, OMM are up there too but MB really owns this space). They also have a credited government practice that other biglawl firms in Chitown no longer have. I got the sense that MB Chicago and Washington are more preftigious than MB NYC but I can't really substantiate that. MB NYC lost a few partners, I think one started Kasowitz and one recently left for Quinn but its hard to say no to $3m PPP. The calculus is probably a bit different for a junior level though. I get the sense that MB London is calling more of the shots than they used to fwiw. Congrats on your offer and choice, come visit the mothership at some point, the office is pretty.
OP: Can someone give me their personal experience at this firm?
Response: Well, prestigy prestige. But you have to keep in mind that prestigenhouse is quite prestigous and not to mention prestigiosity. Oh, and I'm on law review.

User has been outed.

Nynaeve

New

Post by Nynaeve » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:07 am

2012 MB NYC summer here. Had a great experience. Really laid back, chill place. Everyone I met with was pleasant and nice, and people seemingly leave the office at a reasonable hour. Lots of work to go around, at least in litigation and finance, and the firm wants to increase the class size by at least a few for the 2013 class. 100% offer rate my year (we found out on the last day). Can't speak to prestige, but it's a pretty big office and it's a V30, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:47 am

Nynaeve wrote:2012 MB NYC summer here. Had a great experience. Really laid back, chill place. Everyone I met with was pleasant and nice, and people seemingly leave the office at a reasonable hour. Lots of work to go around, at least in litigation and finance, and the firm wants to increase the class size by at least a few for the 2013 class. 100% offer rate my year (we found out on the last day). Can't speak to prestige, but it's a pretty big office and it's a V30, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I loved the people I met on my CB at Mayer Brown. Still waiting to hear back, but I would take it in a second.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”