Dewey vs. Goodwin vs. Shearman Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm?

Dewey & LeBoeuf
30%
Goodwin Procter
9%
Shearman & Sterling
61%

Total votes: 44

Anonymous User

Dewey vs. Goodwin vs. Shearman

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:23 am

Hey all,

I'd really love your input on this. I'm interested primarily in Corporate, but definitely want to try out Litigation as well. I know the culture at all these is very different, but I genuinely liked most of people I've met at all three. While I'd like a laid back firm (relatively), it's not a big deal if it's not, just as long as people are cordial, respectful, etc. Also, not looking to jump ship anytime soon. I'm not sure yet if I want to do the partnership track but I'm not looking to leave in ~3 years (at least for now). Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Dewey vs. Goodwin vs. Shearman

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:33 am

Which region?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Which region?
OP here. NYC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:10 am

How would you describe the difference in culture between the three?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:04 am

I was a 2011 summer at Shearman and I loved it. Definitely a pretty laid back atmosphere and the people were generally pretty great.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:How would you describe the difference in culture between the three?
All three were great but S&S definitely feels a little more formal and 'white shoe' than the others. Dewey and Goodwin on the other hand, felt a little more laid back and lifestyle type firms. I could be wrong, just the vibe I got from being in their offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:17 am

Problem with S&S is that they do mostly corporate, so you won't really have the chance to do lit there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Problem with S&S is that they do mostly corporate, so you won't really have the chance to do lit there.
I wholeheartedly disagree. I did one rotation at Shearman this summer in litigation. It's second largest practice area is pretty much litigation and there were tons of summer who rotated through.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:41 pm

OP here. Seems to be a pretty heavy lean towards Shearman. Aside from the obvious reason that they're better known/higher ranked, what are some reasons people seem to think they're better than the other two?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Seems to be a pretty heavy lean towards Shearman. Aside from the obvious reason that they're better known/higher ranked, what are some reasons people seem to think they're better than the other two?
Shearman is still in a different league than the other two options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:47 pm

relevant to my interests.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Goodwin is a great Boston firm and Dewey is Dewey. Take Shearman.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was a 2011 summer at Shearman and I loved it. Definitely a pretty laid back atmosphere and the people were generally pretty great.
Care to elaborate on this? Thanks! Trying to decide b/t Shearman and a peer firm, as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:30 am

Blindmelon wrote:Goodwin is a great Boston firm and Dewey is Dewey. Take Shearman.
Dewey post-merger is not the same as Dewey pre-merger, and the firm appears to be on a decent upward trend. I've heard many say the opposite about Shearman. If OP wants corporate (specifically M&A), Dewey is fifth in the M&A league tables in deal value, behind only S&C, STB, Wachtell, and Skadden (http://www.mergermarket.com/pdf/FINAL_L ... 3_2011.pdf).

I would say this is a tougher choice between Dewey and Shearman than you make it out to be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:15 am

Heard from a friend who worked there that Dewey NY only offered Litigation positions to a few SAs who had summered in the Corporate division, causing those SAs to either (a) work in a field that they had no interest in or (b) go find a new job. Very uncool. I would avoid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Heard from a friend who worked there that Dewey NY only offered Litigation positions to a few SAs who had summered in the Corporate division, causing those SAs to either (a) work in a field that they had no interest in or (b) go find a new job. Very uncool. I would avoid.
This was for the summer 2011 class?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Heard from a friend who worked there that Dewey NY only offered Litigation positions to a few SAs who had summered in the Corporate division, causing those SAs to either (a) work in a field that they had no interest in or (b) go find a new job. Very uncool. I would avoid.
Yes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes.
Your friend is either not explaining this correctly, or you're lying. I SA'd there, and Dewey doesn't slot people into practice groups until just before they arrive next fall. All of the offers received were for the firm, and not for a general practice group like litigation or corporate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes.
Your friend is either not explaining this correctly, or you're lying. I SA'd there, and Dewey doesn't slot people into practice groups until just before they arrive next fall. All of the offers received were for the firm, and not for a general practice group like litigation or corporate.
I don't know what to tell you. I'm not lying - just reporting what I heard. Perhaps they "strongly suggested" that this person go into that practice group. It's also entirely possible that this summer was dealt with differently than yourself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:52 pm

Do you know if Dewey gave offers to all of their SA's?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:18 pm

I was also an SA at Dewey NY last summer and can confirm that they don't put you into a practice area or promise/not promise you a practice area when you get an offer. I dabbled in some of the niche practice areas.

Would stay away from Goodwin, friend was no offered there two summers ago.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pato_09

Bronze

Post by Pato_09 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Would stay away from Goodwin, friend was no offered there two summers ago.[/quote]

Wasn't this the norm for all firms (in 2009 summer)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:52 am

To those who posted in this thread that summered at Dewey last year: Could you give me your impression of the firm? Is it really one of the more "laidback" NYC biglaw firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:To those who posted in this thread that summered at Dewey last year: Could you give me your impression of the firm? Is it really one of the more "laidback" NYC biglaw firms?
I'm also curious about this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:58 pm

Pato_09 wrote:Would stay away from Goodwin, friend was no offered there two summers ago.
Wasn't this the norm for all firms (in 2009 summer)?[/quote]

I meant Summer 2010. It was not the norm then. This person had offers to summer with various other firms, and regrets going with Goodwin. I know very few people who did not receive offers from their firms in 2010.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”